IGNORED

What grips are you running?

40 minutes ago, Barry said:

You mean tiny as in they mostly only cover the bar, and not also the grip, yes? For me, they're only intended to be used as a replacement for the stupid plastic inserts that come with FatPaw or ESI Chunky and the like.  The life expectancy of those inserts even less than the foam grips themselves. But I like something there to protect a carbon bar from getting chipped up when it hits a tree the wrong way and to prevent accidental core sampling in a nightmare scenario. 

But yeah, they work well for holding in grip tape on drop bars as well. I'm glad you found a use for them!

I snagged a pair based on your recommendation, along with a pair of ESI Extra Chunks grips to give them a whirl. Should be here next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

You mean tiny as in they mostly only cover the bar, and not also the grip, yes? For me, they're only intended to be used as a replacement for the stupid plastic inserts that come with FatPaw or ESI Chunky and the like.  The life expectancy of those inserts even less than the foam grips themselves. But I like something there to protect a carbon bar from getting chipped up when it hits a tree the wrong way and to prevent accidental core sampling in a nightmare scenario. 

But yeah, they work well for holding in grip tape on drop bars as well. I'm glad you found a use for them!

Yep, I bought two sets. One set is PERFECT for holding the tape on my drop bars.

Used to run Oury push-ons. Then I moved to Oury's with ODI Lock-on rings. Then on a whim, I picked up some Ergon GE1 EVOs. I don't think I'll ever have another set of dual lock-on grips again. The internal plastic sleeve makes the outer clamp completely unnecessary. The GE1 EVOs also extend out from the handlebar giving you a bit of extra length (snicker) and they don't have a plastic end cap that can pop off. They're mostly a round grip, but they are contoured a little and have a slightly thicker side. They're not overly squishy, but they give in the right places. They're also WAY more durable than any other grip I've had.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on this. 

I’ve got about a hundred miles on these ESI Extra Chunk grips in tons of different terrain and all I can say is wow. 

The arm pump in my forearms, aches and cramping in my hands were getting to be a bit much, especially on the longer rides. These singlehandedly solved the issue. Soft and delicate, but offer a firm grip, and reduce vibrations so much that it’s hard to believe. I have kind of meaty hands, but not very big as I’m an average size human and the extra chunky are perfect to grab onto. 

The obvious downsize is how delicate they are from riding. I’ve got some cuts and bruises on the ends from tree gates, but they’re so affordable (sub $20) that it will not be an issue to replace once or twice a year. 

I definitely recommend these grips if you’re in the market. 

On 10/16/2019 at 9:55 AM, Barry said:

I do hate the plastic end cap inserts. My Fat Paw grips have them and they fall out right fast, or get torn up real bad on trees and rocks. I replace them with these cheap things, which are spectacular. 

Just bought some red and blue ones. AMAZON black friday deal. 

Edited by jcarneytx

I've found a few factors can contribute to hand discomfort which are not related to grips.  

First, is the angle of your handlebar.  What I have found that works best for me is to angle the sweep of the bar to just above my shoulders.  

Second, the tilt of your saddle can increase hand pressure.  It's a fine balance point to get it right, but if the nose of your saddle points down it will cause your hips to roll forward increasing hand pressure.  If the nose it up too much the boys will not be happy.  Also, related to saddle position is that all of these new bikes have super steep seat angles.  It's great for climbing, but does cause extra weight on the hands.  

Third, I've found that any gloves that have gel or extra padding in the palm cause hand issues for me.  The extra bulk in the palm causes the forearm muscles to work harder to grip.  I LOVE these lizard skin gloves.  https://lizardskins.com/mtb/gloves/aramus

My favorite grips are the ESI silicone grips in Regular chunky.  https://esigrips.com/mtb-grips/chunky-grips

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xl_cheese said:

Third, I've found that any gloves that have gel or extra padding in the palm cause hand issues for me. 

I was adding more and more padding to my gloves trying to fix numbness and hand cramps. Didn't realize I was going the wrong way for a couple of uncomfortable years.