IGNORED

Emma Long Trail Cutting

zrx24

It appears to have just been done, possibly in preparation for the Enchilada Buffet this weekend.

DO NOT CUT NEW TRAIL AT EMMA LONG (aka City Park)!!!

The City (PARD) and BCP watch Emma Long like a hawk. There are currently plans in the making by the City to GPS the trail at Emma specifically to track (unauthorized) changes.

DO NOT CUT NEW TRAIL AT CITY PARK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

It appears to have just been done, possibly in preparation for the Enchilada Buffet this weekend.

The City (PARD) and BCP watch Emma Long like a hawk. There are currently plans in the making by the City to GPS the trail at Emma specifically to track (unauthorized) changes.

DO NOT CUT NEW TRAIL AT CITY PARK.

I don’t think anyone involved in the EB prepares new trail, or B lines either.

You are preaching to the choir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zrx24 said:

So was it marked with orange paint???

I say this tongue in cheek, to bring some levity to the accusation.  While I'm not officially a part of the EB "team", I can confidently say that NOBODY associated with the EB has ever cut "B-lines" are "cheater trail" in preparation for the event.

I personally share your concern and sensitivity to these kinds of things.  I've attended many meetings and spent a few years fighting the same fight.  👊

Sincerely, -CJB

I don’t think anyone involved in the EB prepares new trail, or B lines either.

You are preaching to the choir.

Every year there is a fresh incoming class at UT that includes MTB riders. Maybe members of the choir can put word out to anyone encountered out on Austin area trails that are not members of the choir of the do's and don'ts. Education is a never ending process.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in getting the word out.

2 hours ago, zrx24 said:

There are currently plans in the making by the City to GPS the trail at Emma specifically to track (unauthorized) changes.

Does the City really need to make 'plans' to GPS a trail?  Do they realize that literally thousands of people do this every day using nothing more than their phone and some free software?  Why do I feel like they are going to charge the taxpayers some crazy amount to do this?

I've always been under the assumption that most cheater lines at CP are cut by the motos. It's a lot harder to carry a dirt bike up a huge ledge than a mountain bike. 

All trails allowed to be ridden at City Park are well established. There are signs in the parking area reminding users to stay on the established trails. From time to time there will be evidence of a moto trying to bypass a difficult section. When such a situation is noticed, the disturbed area will be restored and brushed off to dissuade further use.

In this particular case there were only MTB tracks on the fresh trail. It has been blocked off to dissuade further use.

Does the City really need to make 'plans' to GPS a trail?  Do they realize that literally thousands of people do this every day using nothing more than their phone and some free software?  Why do I feel like they are going to charge the taxpayers some crazy amount to do this?

They do not believe the mapping data we have provided to them is accurate enough. I will be meeting with the City's GIS dude next week to work with him on acquiring the data needed to formalize trail locations.

They intend to do this for ALL trails located on BCP land, which includes not only Emma Long but most all the Green Belt.

Every year there is a fresh incoming class at UT that includes MTB riders. Maybe members of the choir can put word out to anyone encountered out on Austin area trails that are not members of the choir of the do's and don'ts. Education is a never ending process.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in getting the word out.

I disagree with this statement.

I’ve never ever ever encountered a UT student who rides on the trails.

B lines and cedar trees are constantly being cut everywhere by untalented riders with wide bars.

It’s not “the millennials” and Incoming students. It’s people who don’t know what they don’t know.

Everyone here knows, so all you are doing is ranting.

I’ll keep blocking B lines and moving rocks back to where they belong. Not as cheater steps for ledges.

11 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

I’ve never ever ever encountered a UT student who rides on the trails.

I rode while at UT from 91-95 on my Univega rigid then on my Kestrel CSX.  My buds and I would ride from Jester to BCGB, and we rode Emma Long and Bull Creek  and probably other stuff that's long gone that I wasn't aware of (don't remember ever riding Walnut though).   We stayed on the trail and never cut or shortcut anything.  It would be sad if indeed younger UT students don't take advantage of all the goodness so close to campus.

It’s not “the millennials” and Incoming students. It’s people who don’t know what they don’t know.

Everyone here knows, so all you are doing is ranting.

Not a rant. A notice of an issue and request to help me educate those that don't know what they don't know. I don't care where they come from or their age. UT was simply an example of new people moving to Austin. I could have just as easily have used Californians as an example.

I’ll keep blocking B lines...

Thank you for your efforts. Much appreciated! :-)

41 minutes ago, Hugh said:

That's the truth! Just ride Thumper for confirmation.

Hey I resent that remark!  I was out their in the rain on Tuesday trimming back face-slappers, marking the route....and creating alternate lines around tough features! 😉

Later,
CJB

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CBaron said:

Hey I resent that remark!  I was out their in the rain on Tuesday trimming back face-slappers, marking the route....and creating alternate lines around tough features! 😉

Later,
CJB

I was kidding. Thumper does need more traffic though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh said:

I was kidding. Thumper does need more traffic though.

Yeah, I know.  Thumper is always the punching bag.  BUT....I was out there and dar I say that it is in pretty damn good shape right now.  The recent rain and wheels have done very good things for the trail.  It should be pretty primo for EB.    *NOTE*  there are few big downed trees in a couple of spots.  But it just too much work to get done quickly.

Cheers, -CJB

1 hour ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

What is this Thumper I’m hearing about? Looked it up yesterday and looks gnarly. How does it compare to City?

Less gnarly than City Park.

Lots of up and down. It doesn't get as much love as other trails.

• Like 1