IGNORED

Emma Long Trail Cutting

zrx24

On 10/18/2019 at 12:24 PM, TAF said:

I know one way to find out!

....I've only held 2 Thumper ride calls in the past 10 days.

The weather is turning better and the trail is in good shape from the recent wheels-down, if people still want Thumper ride-calls, then I'd need to see some interest.

[I predict....crickets]

Later, -CJB

8 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I’m so slow right now that I’d feel bad holding you up, but I could lead a slower group if need be. (Except this week since my wife is out and I’m watching the kids.)

I'm leaving town Thursday for Bentonville.  So I'm thinking weeks away (and if people express interest).  My recent riding out there has really made me appreciate it again.  I'd like to capitalize on that.  Lets see what comes up.

Sorry for the thread-jack...anyone who wants to continue this discussion meet us over here:

https://austinmountainbiking.com/index.php?/topic/1477-again-this-thursday-1017-thumper-eb-pre-ride/

-CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 1

The fact that a governmental body holds a metaphorical gun to our head and threatens to pull the trigger and cut off trail access if someone else does something stupid is really irksome. Imagine if they threatened to shut down I-35 if ONE MORE PERSON EXCEEDS THE SPEED LIMIT THROUGH THERE!!! 

Restore the damage. Find and punish/warn/educate the offenders. That's all that anyone needs to do.

• Like 4

On 10/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, fontarin said:

Pretty sure no one on here would be doing that.

There are many of these "standard excuses" -

No one on here would do that.

I didn't know that was a problem. 

It's public property - I can do anything I want.

Somebody/everybody else is doing it.

It's just one rock/tree/short section.

etc etc etc

But it keeps happening. And it threatens continued use of the trails.

It would help a lot if 'everyone on here' would take an active role in educating anyone doing such things as cutting or sanitizing or whatever you call it. There is no way to 'educate' everybody walking into every bike shop or maybe moving to Austin or even driving thru Austin and stopping for a ride. Things like the original post need to be spread by riders to other riders who apparently don't know better.

And thank the OP for the work he is doing. It is a thankless job that takes *SHIT-TONS* of time and effort.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, notyal said:

I've always been under the assumption that most cheater lines at CP are cut by the motos. It's a lot harder to carry a dirt bike up a huge ledge than a mountain bike. 

There are 'cheater lines' cut by motos, MTB and even hikers. Even a lesser skilled moto rider has a better chance of making it up some of the bigger ledges than an equivalent MTB's. I think the rider skill level it the common denominator. But that is just my opinion.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, TAF said:

Rest assured that no trail-work of any kind takes place in preparation for the EB.

Opps. I was ' not properly educated' on that. I went out and cleared face slappers and eye pokers in the limited time I had before the EB. I never got to Emma. Too little time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cxagent said:

Opps. I was ' not properly educated' on that. I went out and cleared face slappers and eye pokers in the limited time I had before the EB. I never got to Emma. Too little time.

I meant major and permanent trail work. Sure, the Green Belt and Thumper were cleared of slappers (the fauna variety), but there's no building goes on.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The efforts to establish new cheater lines around existing cheater lines continues at City Park (Emma Long).  It is most definitely MTB riders doing this.  If anyone knows the person(s) doing this, will you kindly inform / remind them that at Emma Long this activity has very serious consequences.  Austin Parks and Balcones Canyonland Preserve staff perform regular inspections throughout Emma Long and even have game cameras in place in their efforts to monitor activity.   This new trail cutting is precisely the activity they are looking for, which will be used as justification to close trails or limit access / use of the park.  This is not a joke or an exaggeration in any way.  Please help me spread the word.

I just closed up this newly established cheater trail at the Devil's Staircase cheater trail.  In this case, great efforts were made to remove previously established barricade materials.  Only MTB riders have been using this from my observations today, but it doesn't take long before Moto guys start using it and then it doesn't take long for the ledges that exist just below the surface to be exposed.....leading to more cheater trail. 

I had already started replacing rocks and barricade material when I snapped this pic.

IMG_2890_r.jpg

IMG_2891_r.jpg

Edited by zrx24

I really hate the look of stacked brush and branches along a trail.  A single track through the woods, be it an animal path or a MTB trail is a beautiful thing.  Barricades are like graffiti to me.  Just plain ugly.  I really hate having to do this.  But I also hate the thought of losing this park.  I LOVE this place!

It might be a good idea to have placards made with the ARR logo and PARD logo stating the standard rules for not modifying the trail and to stay on the established path. These placards could then be zip tied to the “branch fences” that close the cheater lines. It gives the branch fences an authority standing behind them. Any biker that messes with them could then be tarred, feathered and then have their mountain bike taken, replaced with a hybrid and a map of the Town Lake bike and bike trail. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

It might be a good idea to have placards made with the ARR logo and PARD logo stating the standard rules for not modifying the trail and to stay on the established path. These placards could then be zip tied to the “branch fences” that close the cheater lines. It gives the branch fences an authority standing behind them. Any biker that messes with them could then be tarred, feathered and then have their mountain bike taken, replaced with a hybrid and a map of the Town Lake bike and bike trail. 😄

I like this idea. The same idiots who are cutting the cheater lines probably see them being blocked off and just assume that some other idiot who does not know what they are doing is responsible. There needs to be an indication of why this is being blocked off.

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

It might be a good idea to have placards made with the ARR logo and PARD logo stating the standard rules for not modifying the trail and to stay on the established path. These placards could then be zip tied to the “branch fences” that close the cheater lines. It gives the branch fences an authority standing behind them. Any biker that messes with them could then be tarred, feathered and then have their mountain bike taken, replaced with a hybrid and a map of the Town Lake bike and bike trail. 😄

We've been considering making up signage to post at these problem areas.  Great idea about using more official logo of some sort.  👍

Most importantly on the logo, it comes across to everyone that this is the MTB community and not some random person. I think we all remember the "notices" posted on the GB a few years ago. They were professionally done, but by some crackpot individual, not an organization. They were full of incorrect information that people probably took as legit because of the look.

Yup, really needs the ARR logo on there. It's the whole, "Hey we're your friend that gets you in to da-club, don't make us mad."

Having both the ARR logo and PARD shows that it's a partnership.

...it's really more like, "Hey friend, I got US in to da-club, don't screw this up for us by acting a fool."

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1