IGNORED

Caprock Canyon

WatersPark

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we did 12 miles in 35 degrees and despite the cold, it was a great ride.  No bats in the tunnel. Definitely will want to do it again and go a bit farther up the canyon. We had to limit the ride so we could make the drive back to Austin.  Seems like a possible bikepacking excursion- I believe camping is allowed on the route.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

We only rode trail in the park itself. The views were great. But a lot of the trail was sandy and just about impossible to ride. This was especially true at the dry creek crossings where the bison herd had churned the dirt up. We didn't ride a whole lot of trail because I was unwilling to take a chance going out and finding more of that miserable condition.

The Trailway is NOT mountain bike trail. I looked at several pictures of it in the park headquarters. Just road looking stuff. I don't think a lot of it is particularly scenic either. If I was a roadie/gravel grinder guy I wouldn't drive 6 1/2 hours to do what there is available around here.

Caprock Canyon State Park has some great scenery though. It's not big and grand like Palo Duro, but we thought the hills and cliffs were more defined and dramatic. Very serene and nice.

The Prairie Dog town was very active and fun to watch. We also got in the middle of the bison herd as it walked across the road next to park headquarters. Both of those things were just about worth a 6 1/2 hour drive.

Edited by The Tip

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We camped in Caprock Canyons last November and explored the park trails as well as the trailway. We also went up to Palo Duro for a day trip and rode the trails in the park. The whole experience was well worth the drive and very memorable. My take on different areas:

-Everything around there is MTB only with a ton of sealant in your tires. When riding 60+ miles on the trailway, the clumps of grass alone in several areas of the trail would make you regret bringing a “rigid” bike (think endless speed bumps).

-We only saw 2 people on the trailway after getting a few miles away from the park. It is very remote and that in itself was a major highlight for me.

-The southwest end of the trailway offers more “bang for the buck” if you are pressed for time

-The scenery along the entire trailway will give you a whole new appreciation of the panhandle. There are some really beautiful areas if you take the time to look around.

-Caprock Canyons Park MTB trails were fun. Approach them with an exploring mindset and they are well worth riding and allow you to cover most of the park fairly quickly. And yes, you will have to walk through some of the sand traps in the creeks.

-Palo Duro Canyon Park MTB trails are the real deal and quite possibly the most enjoyable trails I have ridden in Texas.

• Like 4

We did about 12 Miles (Monks crossing to 1.5 mi past the tunnel and back)) on July 16 on our way to Colorado.  104 degrees at 5 pm.  Nary a human to be seen.  Still fun, but I'm looking forward to going again with more moderate temps. 

A note on the tunnel- guano powder is pretty deep in the middle section, be prepared!

• Like 1