IGNORED

Made it up Yaupon last night

MrTheCatLady

Another good technique is just looking down at your wheel and not at the top of the hill.

This works for me on every hill except HOL. If I’m just spinning, I only want to focus on the pain of that moment not on the amount of pain to come. If I don’t look up on HOL I will end up in some stupid dead end line that starts the push. I push the HoL on the EB any way unless there is a trail angel there with a camera. Then I try and ride to her and push from there up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/16/2018 at 8:10 AM, Chief said:

Another good technique is just looking down at your wheel and not at the top of the hill.

This would have been good to know yesterday when I was climbing Courtyard, City Park, Jester and Yaupon.  Will have to try that next time. 

• Like 1

If you're on a road bike, you definitely want to see that 2x4 piece or just about anything laying on the side of the road, just don't look too far up.  It especially sucks on those curved climbs, where it looks like the end is near, but it isn't...it just keeps going (like courtyard).  Maybe worse than getting just plain discouraged is to pace yourself thinking you're almost done when you are nowhere near the top.

I also occasionally do loops in the Great Hills area, or at least connect through them. There is a sweet little ass kicker if you head away (northeast?) from 360 at the Bluffstone intersection (right by Spicewood Springs) that was more spicy that I realized it would be. Also, if you are riding up Yaupon and want even more bloodshed, take a right onto Greyfeather, then hook left when it turns left at the bottom of the hill (yes, you climbed part the way up Yaupon only to descend back down and up an even steeper section).

The pic shows those two sections, pointing along the direction you would take.

Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1843969850

greyfeather_and_bluffstone_drive_climbs.png

39 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

I also occasionally do loops in the Great Hills area, or at least connect through them. There is a sweet little ass kicker if you head away (northeast?) from 360 at the Bluffstone intersection (right by Spicewood Springs) that was more spicy that I realized it would be. Also, if you are riding up Yaupon and want even more bloodshed, take a right onto Greyfeather, then hook left when it turns left at the bottom of the hill (yes, you climbed part the way up Yaupon only to descend back down and up an even steeper section).

The pic shows those two sections, pointing along the direction you would take.

Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1843969850

greyfeather_and_bluffstone_drive_climbs.png

And if you want another comparable ass-kicker, then look towards the bottom of your map at Addirondack.  Riding up that from Spcwd is a strong climb!  Sometimes I choose to use that as a cut-up to Mesa when I'm time constrained and need to get back over to Shoal Creek.

-CJB

• Like 2

That's some of my normal area for afternoon road ridea during the week. My triple B is to ride from courtyard at 360 up to 183 to warm up then work over to Mesa and do repeats on Mesa, far west, and Ladera Norte. One of each then repeat. Road hills will make you far stronger than hours on a mtb. Even just one road hill and one road tempo ride a week will make you a weekend mtb monster.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2018 at 8:10 AM, Chief said:

My dad always said keep your eyes on the front hub until things level out. 

I try to stay on the concrete strip right next to the curb on Beauford to avoid the texture. Sorta helps...

Though not long, Smokey Valley into the top of Ladera may win for steepest.