IGNORED

Homebrew tire sealant

Kyle

20 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

Is it me or is tire sealant just about the most spill-prone liquid ON EARTH or what?!?! 

Seems like every time I open a bottle of it the universe just stops whatever it’s doing to absolutely insure that something happens and I spill that shit everywhere. Even if not spilling it is my #1 focus. 

🤦‍♂️🤬🤦‍♂️🤬🤦‍♂️🤬🤦‍♂️

If you look at my garage floor it looks like a 14-year-old's bedroom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/30/2019 at 5:09 PM, RedRider3141 said:

Confession Time: I have tubeless wheels, stems and sealant on hand but I'm still running tubes.

Just make the switch. I had always thought it might've been a bit messy and painful, but it wasn't bad at all. I DID have CO2 cartridges on hand, which makes it really easy to seat the tires: Pull off tire/tube; clean rim (or just wipe with a rag you find on garage floor); install stem; mount tubeless tire; use high-pressure to seat tire (should actually hold air as is); let air out; remove valve core; use sealant syringe to add sealant; install valve core, pump to desired pressure.

57 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

Just make the switch. I had always thought it might've been a bit messy and painful, but it wasn't bad at all. I DID have CO2 cartridges on hand, which makes it really easy to seat the tires: Pull off tire/tube; clean rim (or just wipe with a rag you find on garage floor); install stem; mount tubeless tire; use high-pressure to seat tire (should actually hold air as is); let air out; remove valve core; use sealant syringe to add sealant; install valve core, pump to desired pressure.

Honestly, I think the biggest hangup for me is maintenance of the sealant itself. I only ride 3-4 times a month at best and when I go I rarely have much more time mess with checking/adding sealant if it's dried out. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal than it is but my heavy tubes aren't anything compared to the spare tire I carry around and I've yet to have a flat in 3 years of riding here. I know it's coming but that is why I carry a spare tube and pump. 

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

Honestly, I think the biggest hangup for me is maintenance of the sealant itself. I only ride 3-4 times a month at best and when I go I rarely have much more time mess with checking/adding sealant if it's dried out. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal than it is but my heavy tubes aren't anything compared to the spare tire I carry around and I've yet to have a flat in 3 years of riding here. I know it's coming but that is why I carry a spare tube and pump. 

With Stan's I only add sealant every 4-6 months. 

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

For me it has zero to do with heavy tubes as I believe that plays very little into any concern (unsprung mass, rotational inertia, linear inertia.)  

It’s all about not even having to stop during a ride to change a tube.

12 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

That's the thing, there's no ROI for me right now. 8 Years of riding, 3 of them here and I've never had a flat. 

I think the biggest advantage of running tubeless is better traction. So even though you personally may not gain anything in the reduced flats department, you should have much to gain in the traction department.  

• Like 2

Tubeless has a better ride quality much more supple IMO. Saying this from a personal point just having switched my gravel bike to tubeless. With tubes the ride was harsher at the same air pressure as tubeless, I can actually run slightly higher pressure and still get a supple feeling ride.

• Like 1

I think the big advantage is not getting pinch flats.. not getting flats basically at all like the days of tubes. On one bike I have there are no less than 13 punctures on the rear but no flatting . I basically want to see how far I can push that tire. Try that with tubeless. You cant.
I'll top off with air and then every few months add some Orange Sealant and that tire keeps rolling.
I like tinkering anyways so the little work involved in a tubeless setup is not a big deal. Tubes were a pain sometimes.
But pulling a valve.. filling it up is no big deal.
Setting the new tires are what sucks to me but that was using tubes or tubeless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 10/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, Kyle said:

I've been making my own sealant for years now.  Comparing with my buddies it seems roughly as effective as Stan's at sealing and lasts far better through summer for a fraction of the price.  The one thing I don't like about my recipe is that it uses regular car tire slime.  

My recipe:

16 oz latex mold builder
2 oz ammonia without added soap
32 oz pink RV antifreeze propylene glycol based
32 oz car tire slime

Anyone have their own recipe that doesn't use tire slime?  I was thinking about experimenting with Elmer's school glue which can be had by the gallon for cheap...

16 oz. mold maker (6.80)
6 tbsp    ammonia (free)
16 oz. propylene glycol ($5)
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (free)
32 oz. distilled water

Order to add: 
• 16 oz water
• 16 oz PG
• 2 tsp xantham gum (1 tsp next time?)
• 1 oz ammonia
Mix with drill

• 2 months later...