IGNORED

The Game Changers

TheX

I'd call it propaganda instead.

Read this first, before you watch the movie: https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a29067926/the-game-changers-movie-fact-check/

Basically, as a species, we are omnivores. Eating meat is part of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. Whenever you see someone raving about being vegetarian/vegan, they are often coming off of a shitty overall diet. If you go from eating crappy processed food, fast food, and too much sugar and then go to a vegan diet or a keto diet, your outlook will improve. But it has less to do what what you started eating and more to do with what you STOPPED eating.

Generally speaking the science has been mixed at best on vegetarian/vegan diets, primarily because it is hard to get enough protein. But everyone is different. If you stop eating crap processed food and start eating more real food (real meat, real vegetables) you'll be a lot better off. But this movie has an agenda and based on the amount of praise and criticism (each side builds it up or breaks it down) I would be highly skeptical. 

Clearly the plant based people are advocating it and the keto people are breaking it down. This does not tell me that either side is right, it tells me that the claims in the movie are distorted. If they were clean, clear science then you'd have no way to debunk it. A plant-based diet *may* be better, but don't use this movie as a justification.

• Like 2

FWIW, I've been vegan for almost 20 years. I only mention the timeframe to point out that this is not a phase for me, nor did I jump on a recent trend. I have no problem getting "enough protein" for my lifestyle and a recent blood test showed normal levels of nutrients in my system. I could see it as a problem with bodybuilding, but I also know of some ripped vegans. If you have ever ridden with me, you know my diet is not holding me back. 

I've not seen any vegan propaganda films, so I can't comment on them. I made my decision for my own reasons and I am living proof that a 100% plant-based diet can be balanced and support an active lifestyle. So can an omnivore diet, and either has potential to be crappy if you eat garbage and don't excersize. It's all in how you do it. My reasons are for the environment and for the animals, so if I happen to gain health benefits from it, that's a bonus.

I have no interest in converting anyone, but I'll discuss facts with anyone willing to do so respectfully.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

Here are two videos featuring Wilstrop... One playing at a World Championship tournament, and one at home cooking and speaking on vegetarian eating... Keep in mind that this fella is 6'4", which is quite tall for a top squash player and does take its toll on the body... Yet, even in his late-'30s and having been on tour for almost twenty year, he's still ranked at #15...

Edited by RidingAgain

54 minutes ago, TheX said:

Going on 4 years for me, and it's not propaganda...at all. I have no desire to convert anyone, just sharing info.

I'd take the under on that bet. "Just follow the science, the science is real" is a pretty strong statement when much of what is in the movie is debunked as faulty science.

People should do whatever works for them and leave the rest, diet is like religion, unless someone is seeking advice, it's best to not promote.

Any time someone says "I need to lose weight like you did, you've kept it off for so long, what's the secret?" my first remark is "you'll never be able to do it because of the 100 people that I've explained it to, 90% say 'I could never....' and of the 10% that try, most of them won't stick with it."

Diet and health are a lifestyle and difficult to change unless there is a real reason (wanting to lose weight is not a real reason 95% of the time), people should do what works for them and leave it at that in my opinion.

If you read the article that I posted, it specifically addresses that movie.

I am not arguing that being a vegetarian/vegan is bad, simply that the movie claims have been cherry picked and are not representational of the real science.

There are plenty of pro-vegan and pro-keto articles about the movie. I believe the Men's Health is a more balanced view of all of it.

14 hours ago, TheX said:

will only take 1.5 hours of your time, and could make you a much better rider

Is the implication here merely that eating healthier and maintaining a high ratio of lean-muscle mass will make you a better rider, or do you honestly believe that eliminating meat altogether will make you a better rider? 

I believe the overall health effects. You can eat meat and be a serious badass on a bike. 

Jan 11th coming up will be 6 years since my heart attack. I was on statins and overall not doing as well as I should. I made serious changes, and my diet was a big part of that. My cardiologist was shocked at the change in my numbers. I didn't stumble across this movie and take it for gospel, I have been studying this for years. My step son is a certified nutritionist and works in hospitals helping people get healthier, and recover from some serious shit. He knows his stuff, and he agrees. 

BTW, I credit cycling and giving up smoking and drinking years ago for helping me survive my heart attack. If the Ducati crash hadn't almost killed me two years ago, I'd still be riding longer distances, and more miles a year.

3 minutes ago, Chief said:

I can't say that I blame you. Never smoked cigarettes.😁

I smoked at 14, when 50 cents and access to a gas station would get you a pack out of the machine with one pull. Of course I could have just stolen packs out of my Mom's cartons, but since I was pretty much smoking just to be cool, the Silva Thins would not have helped in that department. Fortunately came to my senses before graduating from high school and haven't smoked since, although I did go through a period in my forties when I enjoyed fine cigars. There are health risks even with cigars though; so moved past that as well.  

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, throet said:

I smoked at 14, when 50 cents and access to a gas station would get you a pack out of the machine with one pull. Of course I could have just stolen packs out of my Mom's cartons, but since I was pretty much smoking just to be cool, the Silva Thins would not have helped in that department. Fortunately came to my senses before graduating from high school and haven't smoked since, although I did go through a period in my forties when I enjoyed fine cigars. There are health risks even with cigars though; so moved past that as well.  

Tried it with a friend at about 13 lasted about two weeks when I made the decision if it wasn't getting me high I wasn't interested.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chief said:

Tried it with a friend at about 13 lasted about two weeks when I made the decision if it wasn't getting me high I wasn't interested.

I didn't even put a cig to my lips.  I have never understood the desire to breathe in smoke.  When I was a kid, I thought you blew into the cigarette.  When I found out they were sucking the smoke in, I was shocked and confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:06 AM, TheX said:

It has not been debunked at all.

My wife and I found that show pretty intriguing. I am a firm believer in pay the farmer or pay the doctor. I find nothing wrong in the message the movie gives.

I dont give a shit if they did or did not cherry pick their arguments. The idea of eating healthy is not wrong. I by no means will give up my Hagen Daz or BBQ but it has definitively been taken in moderation. Vegeys and fruits have been increased over the years.

I havent drank since 92, I havent smoke cigarettes since 98. But no way am I giving up BBQ and ice cream. Oh,, And no more strippers . Damn. 

• Like 3

Everyone cherry picks because we all have personal POVs and the preferences that they are related to (e.g. forum comments). So of course this will be expressed in a movie or documentary. 

But as Cafeend said... "The idea of eating healthy is not wrong." And if this movie promotes healthy eating, then it should be seen as positive.

You personally might not agree with every point made, or even apply the points you agree with to your daily living, but that doesn't make what is being said not positive.

Fact is... You are what you eat.

And don't for a moment think that it begins and ends with food... As what you eat with your eyes and ears is also crucial to your overall healthy... Which is important to keep in mind when watching things like movies and documentaries. Throughout human history, effective propaganda has often used everyday subject matter to hide somewhat subliminal messaging. And I'm not saying this particular movie has done that, but it certainly is the way of most media efforts in today's world. Media production costs money... And those who supply the money to produce media often have their own intentions for doing so.

On another note...

I've often wondered if on the Waltons dinner table you'll find food bought at Walmart.

13 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I havent drank since 92, I havent smoke cigarettes since 98. But no way am I giving up BBQ and ice cream. Oh,, And no more strippers . Damn. 

You may not actually live any longer that you would have without those changes. But it just seems longer...

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not trying to change minds, just share info. I live this and it works. There are a LOT of other sources of info if this offends you. One thing I will say is the food they show being made for the football guys looked VERY unhealthy. I don't eat like that.