IGNORED

South Mountain Park, Phoenix: 15+ hrs from Austin

gotdurt

https://goo.gl/maps/xF1f7UgnPyz

It might have been better to just make this a Phoenix page, as there are enough stellar trails in the area to keep a rider busy for a couple of weeks... but SoMo is my personal go-to...

The most well known trail on the mountain is the National Trail, which might be my personal favorite anywhere, particularly the eastern descent from the Buena Vista parking area to the Pima Canyon parking area. Other good options include (but not limited to Geronimo and Mormon, and Holbert if you really want to test your tech skills. Lots of shuttling options in the park for those who don't want to waste energy climbing. All of the trails are shown on Google Maps if you zoom in.

1863628548_Southmountain.thumb.jpg.012dd58cda058919fcb5ad6b7b9c36f1.jpg

Lot of other good AZ maps here, including SoMo:
https://www.globalbikes.info/about/trail-maps-pg1338.htm

Previews:

Me and Ganderson on National; he just got his gimbal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB8p3cLVy1c

Second run down following him this time (and a few sections and lines he didn't show):

Holbert:

Geronimo:

The epic rest of National, heading west (Tree Magnet, Dr. D & Seths Pool):

• Like 2

Yea, like I said, you could easily spend a couple weeks exploring trails in the Phoenix area, and most are better than anything here, but IMO, SoMo is Moab good... or better; destination worthy by itself. I've driven there and back for a 3 day weekend before. Definitely more for advanced riders, but there are blue trails too, and definitely best during the week, but I've found the Phoenix area hikers to have a much better attitude than those in other areas, like CO.
I always went to McDowell (usually Pemberton) when I wanted to pack in easy mileage or night riding, but it's mostly flat (comparatively) and there's nothing to shuttle for those that are descent biased. Other good rides are Hawes/Usery/Pass Mt, Phoenix Mt Preserve (Trail 100), Pima & Dynamite (serious fun, but bring a good map/GPS and watch for motorcycles), White Tanks, Estrella, etc... all in the Phoenix metro area.

• Like 1

Alright, I changed the maximum width of embedded videos to 750 pixels, so it's more reasonable now.  As for why some videos weren't embedding, I found two things: 

1. It seems videos using shorter "youtu.be" URLs do not embed. If you open such a video on YouTube, you can then get the normal YouTube.com URL and you should then be able to embed the video. 
  2. Some videos cannot be embedded because the video's owner does not allow the video to be embedded on other websites

I can't do anything about #2.  When you attempt to embed such a video, the forum will show a brief message stating the video cannot be embedded. 

..Al

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albert said:
  1. It seems videos using shorter "youtu.be" URLs do not embed. If you open such a video on YouTube, you can then get the normal YouTube.com URL and you should then be able to embed the video. 

I actually used the short URLs for all of them; all were copied from the "share" option under the video. But... Greg might very well have embedding turned off. I thought one of mine wasn't embedding either, but they all appear to be there...

1 minute ago, gotdurt said:

I actually used the short URLs for all of them; all were copied from the "share" option under the video. But... Greg might very well have embedding turned off. I thought one of mine wasn't embedding either, but they all appear to be there...

That's interesting, I changed one of them from the short URL to the longer one and it suddenly worked.  Could be a bug with the forum software.  And the last one that wouldn't embed (the first video in your post) definitely has embedding disabled. 

Also, how does the move function work for the videos? There was supposed to be text above the Holbert video, but the video some how ate it... I can't seem to separate it from the video above it now though. There's a move icon when you select the video, but it doesn't seem to do anything...

6 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

Also, how does the move function work for the videos? There was supposed to be text above the Holbert video, but the video some how ate it... I can't seem to separate it from the video above it now though. There's a move icon when you select the video, but it doesn't seem to do anything...

I added the line "Holbert:" on a new line after the "Second run down following him  this time ( and a few sections and lines he  didn't show) :" text, then hovered over the first video, clicked the "+" sign above the video (upper-left corner) and dragged that video above the "Holbert:" text.  

..Al

• Like 1