IGNORED

Country Club Creek Greenbelt Trail

cxagent

I thought I had already posted about this new trail in southeast Austin. I could not find such a thread even when I searched for it. So here it is - 

The Austin Ridge Riders has built a new trail on a PARD property called Country Club Creek Greenbelt. It is at the dead end cul-de-sac on South Pleasant Valley south of Oltorf. There is not much parking so it is best to ride to the trail. There are sidewalks and bike lanes that make that pretty easy.

The trail is just over 2 miles long right now. Given time it may be extended - there is a lot more land that could be used. The trail is on the easy side - think easy trails of Walnut Creek or SATN. There is not much terrain that works for more technical trail. There are few rocks (almost all dirt) and limited elevation change. Much of the "technical features" are tight trees or off camber dirt single track. It can still be a fun ride even though it will never be a BCGB kind of trail. A lot of people are riding cross bikes on this trail.

The reason I was here to post about it is we had a work day on 11/2/19 for "It's My Park Day". We had over 30 volunteers and got a TON of work done. Buzz Mill (local coffee/beer/restaurant) got almost ALL of the volunteers through their 'Lumber Society' social / education group. They even got Horizon Bank to turn out volunteers to build trail. Mountain bikers??? We had two. Myself and Tip led work crews. We had more volunteers walk by, ask what was happening and join up than we had MTB'rs. How embarassing for MTB'rs.

If you have the chance - go ride it. The more wheels we get on it the better. Use a map program like Google Maps to find the dead end cul-de-sac on South Pleasant Valley south of Oltorf. From the south end of the cul-de-sac take the big side walk to the south. Before you pass the big rock wall (maybe 100 feet) turn left across the grass so you parallel the rock wall. Very shortly after you start between the rock wall on your right and the trees to your left, you will see the start of the trail take off to the left into the trees. We have laid some brush across the grass next to the wall to help guide you onto the trail. (That brush keep being moved so don't count on it being there.) After you ride 100 to 200 feet through that little section, you will pop out onto a cleared area where you can see the cul-de-sac to your left. Follow the trail to the right and vere right where the smaller trail splits off to the right. This will take you thru another short section of trees with a small "dry creek" crossing then a series of climbing switchbacks (not steep but you are climbing). About 200 or so feet of single track you cross the cleared gas line easement again. This time you dive into the trees and single track for a good while. Keep the red flags or spray paint on your right and the green on your left. You will cross several of the cleared gas line easements repeatedly. The whole trail is a bunch of parallel 'switchback trails' that are about 30 feet apart. Keep the red on your right and green on your left or you can accidently jump from one to the next parallel trail. As the trail gets ridden in, it will get easier and easier to follow. Right now the leaves falling on the trail tend to cover the trail so it can be more difficult to spot.

If you want to bail - go up hill. Follow the gas line easement if you find any. When everything seems to be downhill, look for the huge metal power line pole that is at the end of the cul-de-sac. It is just visible above the trees.

If you are on Facebook I have posted maps and video there. I will add them here when I get time. It is on Strava as Country Club Creek GB (aka Mazed and Confused). Those map/video were made when we first got the trail 'passable'. We have opened it up a lot since then. And we will keep opening up the trail and start doing the tread work. Come help if you can.

Strava - https://www.strava.com/segments/20959214

Video of early ride (trail is much wider now) - 

Edited by cxagent
added video link

I went back out there today to pick up a missing tool. While I was there I opened up the trail a bit more. Still lots to do but it keeps getting better and better.

And we got some good press - https://www.fox7austin.com/news/buzz-mill-coffee-hosts-my-park-day-cleanup-at-the-country-club-creek-greenbelt?fbclid=IwAR38xtxFvRhvC-363hLR7lzv153I3lzk-3ptHBMysV0D0M1IE7t8nRLiLGg

There is supposed to be more on the Fox7 Blog but I have not found it yet.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cxagent said:

The reason I was here to post about it is we had a work day on 11/2/19 for "It's My Park Day". We had over 30 volunteers and got a TON of work done. Buzz Mill (local coffee/beer/restaurant) got almost ALL of the volunteers through their 'Lumber Society' social / education group. They even got Horizon Bank to turn out volunteers to build trail. Mountain bikers??? We had two. Myself and Tip led work crews. We had more volunteers walk by, ask what was happening and join up than we had MTB'rs. How embarassing for MTB'rs.

I joined ARR a while back after supporting local groups with only race fees for too long. The emails received since then? My receipt from IMBA.

The latest events on the ARR website are from April and the latest news is from 2017. The latest post on the Facebook page is from the 28th at Walnut creek. The only mention of this was a Buzzmill hosted event in the event list.

If you want volunteers to show up, you need to tell them what to show up to.

Give me a break.

30 minutes ago, Jbn999 said:

If you want volunteers to show up, you need to tell them what to show up to.

Give me a break.

Sorry you did not get a formal invitation. 

PM me your email address and I will send you an email. (Don't post your address in the clear because it attracts spammers.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...