IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

I use the same brake cleaner, regular or lower VOC version on metallic and organic pads from Shimano, Hope, and 3rd party pads as well as on the rotors.  I do not spray it on the calipers though. I spray onto a towel and then wipe the pads and calipers if I got some oil on them.  For regular maintenance I just use 70% isopropyl.

On the loctite, blue is good for just about any bike screw, but there are some applications that may require the other colors for smaller screws (like in a shifter) or larger ones.

• Like 1

I avoid brake kleen as its a little too caustic for my tastes. It can discolor/damage other surfaces like paint and powdercoat on forks, hubs and calipers etc.

Watched a GMBN tech episode where they recommended WD-40 contact cleaner. Found some at my local home despot for under $7 and have been using it on everything for a while now. Stuff is great!

https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

On the loctite, blue is good for just about any bike screw, but there are some applications that may require the other colors for smaller screws (like in a shifter) or larger ones.

Thanks, yeah it is a small derailleur hanger screw coming loose and it's aluminum so it looks like this screw will work with the purple 222 

42 minutes ago, rockshins said:

Thanks, yeah it is a small derailleur hanger screw coming loose and it's aluminum so it looks like this screw will work with the purple 222 

Just stay away from red. Especially with aluminum. It will remove the threads. I use it in other applications, but bikes ain't one of them.

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Watched a GMBN tech episode where they recommended WD-40 contact cleaner.

For $3.59, this is the contact cleaner I use in my workshop. Works great for cleaning up discs, cleaning up after bleeds, and removing Stan's messes. 

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-isopropyl-91-alcohol-first-aid-antiseptic-spray-prodid-958283

5042847792.jpg 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Barry said:

For $3.59, this is the contact cleaner I use in my workshop. Works great for cleaning up discs, cleaning up after bleeds, and removing Stan's messes. 

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-isopropyl-91-alcohol-first-aid-antiseptic-spray-prodid-958283

5042847792.jpg 

I'm cheaper than you.  I get the 97-cent bottle from HEB and pour into re-cycled a well rinsed Glass Plus spray bottle.  🙂

It's also great for cleaning shock and fork parts which is what they recommend.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm cheaper than you.  I get the 97-cent bottle from HEB and pour into re-cycled a well rinsed Glass Plus spray bottle.

Well I do refill/reuse the spay bottle. But I get to maintain strick OSHA labeling requirements for my garage 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Watched a GMBN tech episode...

Good video too. That "one way" bleed is kind of how Shimano advertises it. But this isn't at all how it works if you follow their instruction closely--the ones which come with the brakes. Following the instructions work very well too, but there are like 6 more steps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm cheaper than you.  I get the 97-cent bottle from HEB and pour into re-cycled a well rinsed Glass Plus spray bottle.  🙂

It's also great for cleaning shock and fork parts which is what they recommend.

3 hours ago, Barry said:

5042847792.jpg 

I use 91% in those bottles daily for work. Was using them for bike repairs but prefer the wd40 aerosol now.

4 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

"...everything...", huh.

bend over and ill show you

Edited by ATXZJ

58 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I might need to get that spray bottle from CVS. Most spray bottles die after a few times using them with alcohol. The chemical destroys the spray nozzle in some way unless it's made to handle alcohol.  

It help to start them off slow with wine coolers or something.

• Haha 1

Recently did a damper swap on my Yari. I used denatured alcohol to clean everything like I have done many times in the past on fork services but unfortunately not the best choice for this particular fork, the denatured alcohol discolored all of the matte black finishes on the fork. I don't know what kind of finish they're using but it is obviously not very durable when denatured alcohol can discolor it. 

2 minutes ago, Chief said:

Recently did a damper swap on my Yari. I used denatured alcohol to clean everything like I have done many times in the past on fork services but unfortunately not the best choice for this particular fork, the denatured alcohol discolored all of the matte black finishes on the fork. I don't know what kind of finish they're using but it is obviously not very durable when denatured alcohol can discolor it. 

I think I'd be a bit pissed off.

5 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I might need to get that spray bottle from CVS. Most spray bottles die after a few times using them with alcohol. The chemical destroys the spray nozzle in some way unless it's made to handle alcohol.  

That's a good point.  Most spray bottles this is true, especially the home depot bottles which are great spray bottles but can't seem to handle anything other than water. 

So far the Glass Plus bottle is holding up.

• 4 weeks later...