IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

So I am getting sick of my finicky Shimano 11-46 cassette. Have to get the b tension just right for it to shift into the 46 and even then it just doesn't feel that great everywhere else. Ran Shimano 10 speed for years and am I am missing the smoothness. 

@ATXZJ  1) I think you mentioned the 11-42 being a better choice for Shimano?  37 to 46 is a strange shift. 2) You seem to like the SunRace 11-46? Which one do you recommend for Shimano 11 speed?

@Barry you are running the e-thirteen 9-46, right? What are your thoughts on it? I feel like this one is interesting, better steps and that 9 tooth.

16 minutes ago, rockshins said:

@Barry you are running the e-thirteen 9-46, right? What are your thoughts on it? I feel like this one is interesting, better steps and that 9 tooth.

Correct, I'm using the e13 9-46. But I think the e13 is XD only. But it does shift very well. The only problem is that they are creaky bastards after about 5 or 6 weeks. You need to uninstall them and lube them up but good on the regular. I do like the replaceable 46 tooth aluminum ring though.  

But Gabaruk does have a Shimano splined 10-46, and they're crazy lightweight and affordable.  Again, I've only used the XD version, but it shifts SUPER well. And they're gorgeous. But the 46 tooth aluminum ring is pinned to the steel cassette, and it is not user replaceable. So you really have to keep on top of those chain changes. I used one with great success for about 1500 miles, but then it developed a horrible creak that couldn't be fixed in any way. So Gabaruk sent me another free of charge and free shipping. But that one was lost in the mail somehow. So Gabaruk sent me another free of charge and free shipping. Assuming that my weight/power output was too much for the light cassette, I stuck in on Jessica's bike, and she is loving it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rockshins said:

So I am getting sick of my finicky Shimano 11-46 cassette. Have to get the b tension just right for it to shift into the 46 and even then it just doesn't feel that great everywhere else. Ran Shimano 10 speed for years and am I am missing the smoothness. 

@ATXZJ  1) I think you mentioned the 11-42 being a better choice for Shimano?  37 to 46 is a strange shift. 2) You seem to like the SunRace 11-46? Which one do you recommend for Shimano 11 speed?

Get your derailleur hanger checked to see if it's slightly bent. If all the other gears shift fine but you're having issues with just the 46t it's probably the large tooth jump, but if as you said it doesn't feel great in the other gears it may be a bent hanger.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rockshins said:

I'd avoid that shimano 46t and choose the 11-46 sunrace as it has a 40 to 46 jump vs 37-46. 

Id also check all the basics (hanger, parallelogram, chain, cable, chainline, ETC)  before doing a cassette swap. Chasing driveline issues sucks man, hope you get it sorted soon.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

So I checked the hanger and it was still straight, but when I took off the wheel I saw that the bolt to the derailleur hanger had come loose (not the first time, I am dumb). This time I used some loctite and nipped it up. I checked just now and everything was fine, although the jump to the 46 was not perfect, b tension has to be spot on. Think the loose hanger was messing with my shifts under load.

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I will just deal with the 11-46 for now and when I wear it out, look at a different 11 speed cassette or make the jump to 12 speed.  That budget Microshift 10 speed with the 48 tooth, might do the trick as well, lol.

https://www.microshift.com/en/advent-x/

32 minutes ago, rockshins said:

So I checked the hanger and it was still straight, but when I took off the wheel I saw that the bolt to the derailleur hanger had come loose (not the first time, I am dumb). This time I used some loctite and nipped it up. I checked just now and everything was fine, although the jump to the 46 was not perfect, b tension has to be spot on. Think the loose hanger was messing with my shifts under load.

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I will just deal with the 11-46 for now and when I wear it out, look at a different 11 speed cassette or make the jump to 12 speed.  That budget Microshift 10 speed with the 48 tooth, might do the trick as well, lol.

Glad it was something simple!

FWIW, this guys page has taken a lot of the guesswork out of drivetrain compatibly for me. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/mevnet/videos

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rockshins said:

Yeah I had my derailleur hanger come loose at Spider Mountain. Thought maybe it got bent on the lift but when I investigated I found the loose hanger. Glad you got it sorted out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chief said:

Yeah I had my derailleur hanger come loose at Spider Mountain. Thought maybe it got bent on the lift but when I investigated I found the loose hanger. Glad you got it sorted out.

Appreciate the advice. I think the rattling around can easily make these hangers come loose, makes a lot of sense at Spider.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, Chief said:

I just installed a Sun Race cassette on my bike I haven't been out to test it in the trails but it shifted fine on test around neighborhood.

Finally got a proper trail ride on the new SunRace Cassette. Cassette shifts flawlessly as good as XT. I no longer have a back pedal issue in 1st gear where the chain wants to fall down the cassette. It's an 11-42 with a 32t chainring the 42 is really nice on some of the short steep climbs at brushy. I would recommend one of these cassette for sure. We'll see what durability is like being as I have a tendency to wear out drive train consumables.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief said:

Finally got a proper trail ride on the new SunRace Cassette. Cassette shifts flawlessly as good as XT. I no longer have a back pedal issue in 1st gear where the chain wants to fall down the cassette. It's an 11-42 with a 32t chainring the 42 is really nice on some of the short steep climbs at brushy. I would recommend one of these cassette for sure. We'll see what durability is like being as I have a tendency to wear out drive train consumables.

I was really worried about the Sunrace cassette when I first put it on because most of my experience were with the cheap ones that come on stock bikes, but they shift better then expected (though both the ones I have hesitate to go to the smallest cog no matter what I do) and have been just as durable as anything else I've used.

• Like 1

Been getting a bit sendier over the last few months and noticed I’m pushing my stanchions lower into the fork body than I ever had before. Am I not leaving enough room for error? See picture and video for reference. As you can see, I’m not bottoming out but not sure if I’m cutting it too close with my current Air pressure. This is from the 3-4 foot drop on the west end of picnic at brushy. I’ve been very happy with the feel of my fork and am reluctant to start messing with the PSI, rebound and compression settings as I’ve got it in a good place.

for reference my fork is a Fox 34 performance elite with 130mm of travel. 

9A2FDD05-1B82-45D6-8310-8B73F54F9CD8.jpeg

• Like 1

My goal has always been to use all of my travel at at least one point during a ride. If my sag meter o-ring doesn't look like yours after a full ride, then either I wasn't going hard enough or my suspension isn't set up properly. On the other hand, I only want this to happen a few times during a ride. I wanna hit those bump stops barely on the biggest hits.

• Like 1

I can never tell if my suspension is setup right, but I sure know when it's wrong. 

There is a lot more to it than whether or not you are using all your travel. Any idea how many volume spacers are in there? You could try adding one or two and see how you like that. This will make it more progressive so that it ramps up more the closer you get to bottom-out. 

1 minute ago, notyal said:

I can never tell if my suspension is setup right, but I sure know when it's wrong. 

There is a lot more to it than whether or not you are using all your travel. Any idea how many volume spacers are in there? You could try adding one or two and see how you like that. This will make it more progressive so that it ramps up more the closer you get to bottom-out. 

Yep. 3 volume spacers. 

I’m very happy with my current set up. Just concerned that I may not be leaving enough extra travel, “just in case”. 

from the replies I’ve gotten so far, it sounds like I’m fine. May have to reassess once I start hit that mega drop on snail!

• Like 1

Can some of you do an experiment for me? turn your cassette or freehub backwards VERY slowly. do you hear a series of solid clicks, or are some of them delayed click-clicks?

I have a rear hub that has four pawls that should engage the ratchet ring inside the hub in pairs. This should produce 72 points of engagement. the pawls don't all engage at the same time, but in pairs. when I turn my hub slowly, I can hear the pairs engage together, but if I slow it down by a lot, I can hear a delay when one pawl engages and the other does not until a tiny moment later. while riding, my theory is that on the rare occasions that only one pawl engages but it's partner goes not, it slips. I can feel this slip from time to time and I have been battling and chasing it down with the manufacturer for years! this causes the hub to slip occasionally and has caused the pawls to wear down prematurely and unevenly. I am working with them to solve it but I just want to see if anyone else's hub does this.

30 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Can some of you do an experiment for me? turn your cassette or freehub backwards VERY slowly. do you hear a series of solid clicks, or are some of them delayed click-clicks?

I have a rear hub that has four pawls that should engage the ratchet ring inside the hub in pairs. This should produce 72 points of engagement. the pawls don't all engage at the same time, but in pairs. when I turn my hub slowly, I can hear the pairs engage together, but if I slow it down by a lot, I can hear a delay when one pawl engages and the other does not until a tiny moment later. while riding, my theory is that on the rare occasions that only one pawl engages but it's partner goes not, it slips. I can feel this slip from time to time and I have been battling and chasing it down with the manufacturer for years! this causes the hub to slip occasionally and has caused the pawls to wear down prematurely and unevenly. I am working with them to solve it but I just want to see if anyone else's hub does this.

What brand hubs are they?

2 minutes ago, Chief said:

What brand hubs are they?

I'd rather not say just yet. It's a small company. They have been very helpful about sending me free parts to get this hub working, but I've been through two hub shells and three freehubs over three years now.

Edited by mack_turtle