IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

1 hour ago, Sluggo said:

Suggestions on a small, low profile handlebar bag for a mountain bike?  

What do you want to carry, and where, specifically? Under the bar, in front, in the middle next to the stem? Bikepacking.com has quite exhaustive lists of such things.

Edited by mack_turtle

29 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

What do you want to carry, and where, specifically? Under the bar, in front, in the middle next to the stem? Bikepacking.com has quite exhaustive lists of such things.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:54 PM, Sluggo said:

image.jpeg.74b5c5970bdbd4df4eafe591fdb39e51.jpeg

It keeps falling out of his jersey pocket.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 7/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, AustinBike said:

When I bought my Niner RIP 9 (used) it had an angleset headset. Worst. Piece. Of. Crap. Ever.

The idea that you can simply "dial in" your proper headset angle is offset by the idea that you can "dial out" your proper headset angle.

And it made a ton of noise. Put in a Cane Creek and was done with it. Never again.

the canecreek anglesets that let you pick an angle are known to be bad, but the works components that let you add a fixed amount work well.

1 hour ago, crazyt said:

the canecreek anglesets that let you pick an angle are known to be bad, but the works components that let you add a fixed amount work well.

I would tend to agree from a philosophical perspective, not from actual knowledge. I think the challenge is in figuring out the right angle because you are generally talking about individual degrees and do you buy a 67deg headset and what changes if you change tire sizes?

Ultimately I think trying to chase head tube angle is a game of diminishing returns. Just ride.

I gotta say, people are absolutely obsessed with HTA as if one degree or another makes a bike unrideable and they need to chill out. there's so much more to it than that. meanwhile, I don't even know what my HTA is, something around 68°? it's not stopping me from having fun riding gnarly stuff for long miles.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, Sluggo said:

I got the wolf-tooth bag, super high-quality, very tough, but ultimately too small for what I wanted to put in it (cell phone) so now my 4yo uses it to store sunglasses, stickynotes and barbie shoes. 

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/barbag

image.thumb.png.544a84a918aae574cbece1ac22a2060c.png

• Like 1

I'm really liking Revelate Designs Feed Bags handlebar bags. Various companies make something similar. They can hold a liter bottle of water and have these little net bags around the periphery for misc items. When you don't need them for water, they have a cavernous amount of storage, because, well, there's a liter's worth of space in there. 

I have the Revelate Designs Gas Tank. It's well made but holds very little and it's expensive.  Revelate does make a larger one, but again, $$$$. 

Roswheel makes very inexpensive top-tube bags.  I have one that AB brought to an R & I bike gear exchange and still use it on my road bike. It's spacious and holds a cell phone on top. I had to modify it a bit, because it tends to flop side to side.  It works a bit better if your top tube is flattish.  

Roswheel Cell Phone Top Tube Bag  on Amazon for ~ $10. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

same seat? what are you doing that at least temporarily fixes it?

Take the saddle off the post, clean the rails and clamp as good as I can, put a tiny bit of grease on the rails and reassemble.  I would like to think I’m getting better at it, but my hands feel awfully clumsy putting it back together.

are you using a torque wrench?  When I've had problems with saddle creak, it turned out to be I wasn't tightening the bolts as much as needed.  Also, the grease can capture dirt and increase the wear.  I used to put a drop of oil or two and the creak went away, but once I torqued it properly, it was silent even when dry.

I've never used grease that I can recall on saddle rails. I have used grease on the seat post clamp though. If your saddle had carbon rails, I could see using some carbon prep maybe.

I'm wondering if your seat post clamp has a hairline crack in it...or yeah a bent rail.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, Sluggo said:

My wife uses something like this. If I wasn't worried about my peers doubting my manhood I would use one too. I carry my phone in my hydration back pack. It's a pain in the ass to get out and I wish it was just right in front of me like hers is. It looks big and unwieldy but it never impedes anything she does.

61bpyFXFJbL._AC_UL160_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/OBOVA-Handlebar-Waterproof-Accessory-Cruisers/dp/B07WTBL6PX

15 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I've never used grease that I can recall on saddle rails. I have used grease on the seat post clamp though. If your saddle had carbon rails, I could see using some carbon prep maybe.

I'm wondering if your seat post clamp has a hairline crack in it...or yeah a bent rail.

For me I grease anywhere metal contacts metal. Carbon paste for plastic (carbon fiber) to metal.

• Like 1