IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I love watching the pro mechanics. I’m a stickler for following the manual, but watching wrenches operating in a tent with World Cup points on the line gives you an idea of what matters and what doesn’t. It also shows some cool tips like rubbing wet pads together to clean them. I’ve never seen that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The water on the pads was really cool, never seen that before. But I think I would do the gravity bleed with a tube and a bag because I am a moron and the sloppiness of some of my repairs could mean fluid everywhere. I've had that before, not recommended.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided that I have tried enough lever bleeds and that if I wanted to really fix my spongy rear brake properly I needed a good gravity bleed.

The first step was taking off the pads.

IMG_5962.thumb.jpeg.bd99edf10bb60bf980fe8dc15ec442ca.jpeg

And then realizing that I should have ordered a new set before starting. Oh, and idiot me just ordered one set. Smart me should have ordered two sets so that there was a backup. Anyway, on to the bleed.

IMG_5963.thumb.jpeg.faea6a8f185b09f6934d01cce03dd09f.jpeg

Hmmm, shouldn't this be pink?

Now the lines are clean and the bike is sitting on the work stand until the new pads arrive tomorrow and I can put it all back together. Yet's all cheer a rainy day!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same issue with my WTB tires on my i9 rims. Tightest bead I’ve ever dealt with. I couldn’t even get the tire levers under the bead to get them off. I ended up having to rig up a sort of wooden clamp on the tire to then cam them over in order to get the levers to work. Felt like I was going to destroy the rim. On the plus side I don’t ever have to worry about rolling the bead off accidentally.

25 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I've dealt with a lot of tight fitting tires but in the end technique triumphs over the brute force of tire levers every time.

+1

But even with the right technique (pushing beads into center channel of the rim), it's sometimes impossible if you have narrow rims and tires with very wide beads that don't actually drop into the channel.

+1
But even with the right technique (pushing beads into center channel of the rim), it's sometimes impossible if you have narrow rims and tires with very wide beads that don't actually drop into the channel.

Yup, in my case the bead was actually so locked in to the hook of the rim that I couldn’t get it in to the channel. It was like I had a rock crawler’s bead locker. Both sides were stuck until I effectively created a vise to clamp down on the tire so that I could get enough leverage to pull the bead in to the middle of the rim. After that, tire levers did their job.

I’m thinking that it’s because my rim tape fits just perfectly to make the edges of the tape accentuate the ridge that the beads slide over before seating in to the rim. I’m using 1” wide gorilla tape. That may need to change.

29 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Follow up question on the new tire. When I spin the wheel, it looks like my wheel is way out of true. Looks like it is bouncing all over the place. But then I did a zip tie against the rim and spun it and the wheel is perfect. Is it normal to have this issue? Anything to be concerned about?

It's a Continental product. no joke: a warped Conti tire is very common. take it back and buy something that does not suck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

It's a Continental product. no joke: a warped Conti tire is very common. take it back and buy something that does not suck.

Yep. I would play with it a bit before I yanked and returned it (deflate a bit/play with bead/over inflate a bit/ bounce-rotate it on the ground, etc) to try to get it to seat, but yeah, sometimes they are defective (especially if you bought it off ebay).

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

X2

Had several contis do this after a burp. Bead was completely seated and yet the carcass had a wobble. Total trash tire company followed closely by wtb......

Just my crap 2c though

• Like 1

I'm running a pair of Conti Trail King Shieldwall 2.4 tires right now and actually really like the way they perform and wear. At around $30 per tire (discounted), I was considering ordering another pair. Given the feedback here though, I may have to reconsider. I have noticed a very slight wobble in the front but it's not enough to impact performance. Now wondering if the next set I order will be even worse.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, throet said:

I'm running a pair of Conti Trail King Shieldwall 2.4 tires right now and actually really like the way they perform and wear. At around $30 per tire (discounted), I was considering ordering another pair. Given the feedback here though, I may have to reconsider. I have noticed a very slight wobble in the front but it's not enough to impact performance. Now wondering if the next set I order will be even worse.  

It's tough to say. Back in NM i was a conti guy, and had two or three of them do this. Might be a lot better now so who knows. Two or three years ago I swore off schwalbe and went strictly maxxis but have since returned. They improved their carcass and lug durability a lot with the new super trail stuff. WTB though........

5 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I’ve loved the tire in the past but I haven’t tried a ton of other options. Any recommendations on a similar tire or just any rear tire that is good on the chunky stuff around here? I run a minion DHF on the front but had a lot of bad luck with the DHR. 

1 hour ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

I’ve loved the tire in the past but I haven’t tried a ton of other options. Any recommendations on a similar tire or just any rear tire that is good on the chunky stuff around here? I run a minion DHF on the front but had a lot of bad luck with the DHR. 

IMHO, maxxis EXO and EXO plus are pretty durable for here. From most aggressive rear down:

DHR2 

dissector

aggressor

rekon

ikon 

Lot of people swear by the aggressor as a good rear tire for CTX. If i could run wider than 2.3 i'd be all over a DHF/Rekon combo. Had DHF/Griffin and recently swapped to hans D & rock razor with an insert. Night and day for rolling resistance.

My other bike has 2.6 DHF & DHR with insert and feels like the parking brake is on🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

X2
Had several contis do this after a burp. Bead was completely seated and yet the carcass had a wobble. Total trash tire company followed closely by wtb......
Just my crap 2c though

Even though they suck to remove from the rim, I’ve really like my WTB’s. Vigilante 2.5 Light/Fast Tanwall on the front and Trailboss 2.4 Light/Fast Tanwall on the rear was a great chunky tire combo with the trail boss providing some improved rolling resistance while still grabbing well. Treadlife though was not super great on it though. I now have the same Vigilante up front but a WTB Ranger 2.4 Light/Fast Tanwall on the back. It’s a much faster tire but so far has done an excellent job on BCGB back trails.

• Like 1