IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

6 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I've seen this when there was an issue with my rear quick-release axle.  I'm suspecting you don't have quick release skewers but check that spacer that is pressed against the frame by the axle.  That had cracked on mine and resulted in a little tick that drove me nuts for a few rides.

I had this today on my urban bike. Tightened up the QR, silent ride after that.

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I have bags and bins of nuts and bolts.  If you have any more details I can look as well.

So ran by peddlers and they gave me the thinnest cone nut they had in there random axle bin and it ended up working perfect. 

• Like 3

Well, it just started raining so my test ride will have to hold off.

The drive side BB went about 10° tighter from where it was, before I decided to remove, clean, grease, and replace it.

One crank bolt was loose.

Headset needed very slight tightening (this I could feel but not hear, I'm very sensitive for any slack in the headsets).

I need to get my suspension and dropper serviced. It’s way overdue. Nothing fancy. Yari fork and Rock Shox Deluxe shock. I was quoted around $185 for the 50 hour service and $75 for the dropper post. They said it should really get the 100 hour service. I’ve ridden it for two years without servicing so that made sense to me. However they quoted me $800 for the 100 hour service. Does that sound right? They have a package where they would do that plus take apart the bike to the bare frame, replacing every pivot and everything for $830. Does this sound off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get my suspension and dropper serviced. It’s way overdue. Nothing fancy. Yari fork and Rock Shox Deluxe shock. I was quoted around $185 for the 50 hour service and $75 for the dropper post. They said it should really get the 100 hour service. I’ve ridden it for two years without servicing so that made sense to me. However they quoted me $800 for the 100 hour service. Does that sound right? They have a package where they would do that plus take apart the bike to the bare frame, replacing every pivot and everything for $830. Does this sound off?

Shoot. At that price you should just buy a new fork and shock. A full fork, shock, and dropper service should be somewhere around half the price they are quoting minus parts. 

Don’t know what dropper you have but a service kit for all three should run you about $100-$125.

Who is charging that much?

Shoot. At that price you should just buy a new fork and shock. A full fork, shock, and dropper service should be somewhere around half the price they are quoting minus parts. 

Who is charging that much?

I don’t want to specifically call them out since they’re new and I got the feeling the guy I was talking to may need some training. I couldn’t wrap my head around $799 for suspension services and $830 for complete rebuild. A two year old bike doesn’t need every bearing replaced does it?

Any recommendations for suspension and dropper service in N Austin? Maybe Peddler?

I’ve had a complete rebuild on a fork for $175 and same on shock for $75. Lower only service should be around $40.  + price of applicable seal kits. Unless demand is so high this shop is turning away work (which they might be doing), and just saying an outrageous price I think the salesman either misquoted or you misheard. I would give the 812 mtb suspension guys a call and see what their pricing is. I haven’t used them but have friends that highly recommend them. 812 mtb suspension is in round rock. 

Edited by 4fun

9 minutes ago, Browndog said:

I don’t want to specifically call them out since they’re new and I got the feeling the guy I was talking to may need some training. I couldn’t wrap my head around $799 for suspension services and $830 for complete rebuild. A two year old bike doesn’t need every bearing replaced does it?

Any recommendations for suspension and dropper service in N Austin? Maybe Peddler?

No. Sealed cartridge bearings are not something you typically do preventive maintenance on. Run them till they die. 

I’ve never had a fork or dropper serviced because I do it myself but I use Cycle Progression for my Fox rear shocks. They have a great reputation when it comes to suspension service. Not N. Austin but they are who I always recommend. 

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 1

FYI-yours truly is part time at Cycle Progression. Our current wait time is about two weeks right now.

What kind of dropper post is it? As long as I have the right tools and parts at my disposal, I can do 50hr services and dropper service in my garage. Damper rebuilds are better done at the shop due to a larger amount of specialty tools needed. There is a good chance that you need the full 100 hour service done though. Wouldn’t know until it was all opened up.

Check out 812 Suspension. They’re local and do great work according to friends.

FYI-yours truly is part time at Cycle Progression. Our current wait time is about two weeks right now.

What kind of dropper post is it? As long as I have the right tools and parts at my disposal, I can do 50hr services and dropper service in my garage. Damper rebuilds are better done at the shop due to a larger amount of specialty tools needed. There is a good chance that you need the full 100 hour service done though. Wouldn’t know until it was all opened up.

Check out 812 Suspension. They’re local and do great work according to friends.

Thanks! I’m out of pocket for a couple weeks but may give you a shout after. Dropper is a KS Lev Integra.

I get a feeling this was an overzealous salesperson who may have had incentive to push the top service package so my bike could be so great I could “even take it to Canada.”

Creak update:  I took advantage of the gorgeous day and rode my bike and based on reading Lennard Zinn's technical FAQ And several readers' suggestions, I looked into chainring bolts (happens on both chainrings) and pedals/cleats (not the source.)  Other suggestions to look at:  derraileur hanger, freewheel/cassette.  So while riding, I noticed I can't make the sound happen when in the small cogs, only on the larger cogs.  So as soon as I'm done working I'm going to remove, re-grease, and re-install the cassette as well as grease the hub.

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Creak update:  I took advantage of the gorgeous day and rode my bike and based on reading Lennard Zinn's technical FAQ And several readers' suggestions, I looked into chainring bolts (happens on both chainrings) and pedals/cleats (not the source.)  Other suggestions to look at:  derraileur hanger, freewheel/cassette.  So while riding, I noticed I can't make the sound happen when in the small cogs, only on the larger cogs.  So as soon as I'm done working I'm going to remove, re-grease, and re-install the cassette as well as grease the hub.

Good luck my friend! The dreaded random creak, lesser men have been driven past the brink of insanity!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Browndog said:

I've had a crap-ton of KS droppers in the past, and was able to do full services on them at my kitchen table. If it's got the palsy droop then you'll need a new cartridge. Otherwise, it's just cleaning, oiling and swapping out the bushings. 

Lots of DIY articles and vids on these services if you want to give it a shot yourself. 

Edited by ATXZJ

I've had a crap-ton of KS droppers in the past, and was able to do full services on them at my kitchen table. If it's got the palsy droop then you'll need a new cartridge. Otherwise, it's just cleaning, oiling and swapping out the bushings. 
Lots of DIY articles and vids on these services if you want to give it a shot yourself. 

It keeps sagging more and more. I just keep raising it so it is at full height after it sags.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Browndog said:

It keeps sagging more and more. I just keep raising it so it is at full height after it sags.

Yeah man been there with KS. You need a new cartridge. They "can" be serviced but it's more trouble than it's worth.

You can usually buy them from $60 to $80 dollars. If you are going to pay someone else to service it and buy the parts, you're probably better off dumpstering it, and buying a different dropper post. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

If you're replacing I'd recommend a BrandX. I had two that performed flawlessly for years. My first dropper was a KS and started having issues at about eight months. I currently have a Crank bros Highline 3 not enough time yet to make a judgement.

1 hour ago, Browndog said:

When you say it keeps sagging, does that mean it slips down when you are sitting on it or that it doesn't fully return?

I used to have a KS eten (non-serviceable cartridge) that would not fully return so I had to reach down and pull it up the last inch or so manually. Each time it started doing that, I just gave it the basic service at home for $0 (well, plus the generous amount of Slick Honey), and it worked as good as new for several months until the next service. The basic service is basically taking it apart, wiping clean, and reassembling with ample amounts of Slick Honey. It's not hard to do.

If it slips when you are sitting on it on the other hand, it is probably beyond just needing a good cleaning. In the words of the late great Eazy E, throw it in the gutter and go buy another. 

• Like 1

When you say it keeps sagging, does that mean it slips down when you are sitting on it or that it doesn't fully return?
I used to have a KS eten (non-serviceable cartridge) that would not fully return so I had to reach down and pull it up the last inch or so manually. Each time it started doing that, I just gave it the basic service at home for $0 (well, plus the generous amount of Slick Honey), and it worked as good as new for several months until the next service. The basic service is basically taking it apart, wiping clean, and reassembling with ample amounts of Slick Honey. It's not hard to do.
If it slips when you are sitting on it on the other hand, it is probably beyond just needing a good cleaning. In the words of the late great Eazy E, throw it in the gutter and go buy another. 

The best way I can describe it is that it squishes down about an inch and a half when I sit on it. It works fine other than that.

19 hours ago, Browndog said:

did I miss something? how does a suspension service cost almost as much as a whole new fork? most bike shops will do that for prices comparable to 812 Suspension, so around $200 if the service is detailed. I think you mis-read or someone misspoke. basic bath oil change might cost less than $100.

basic bath oil and seal changes are not very difficult. it's always a DIY thing for me. i save hundreds $ a year that way.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1