IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

Took the dumb assed park bike out to SATN for a shakedown run after sitting idle for almost a year now. Came up on one of the few fun downhill sections and was stomping it in the 11t when i saw a hiker in front of me me with that "oh shit" face. Pulled the levers and had the same face. Into the grass i went, looking like a total douche.  Got home,  pulled everything apart and found the pads completely contaminated. WTF.

Figured out the issue was the bike hanging on the wall, completely in the line of fire of the exhaust of my 125k tacoma staring up every day, complete with valve seal smoke. Just enough of that to coat the pads/rotors to make them completely useless. Ordered new pads, and some covers for the brakes. 

Brakes suck

IMG_20210328_114600639.jpg

IMG_20210328_114753461.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Took the dumb assed park bike out to SATN for a shakedown run after sitting idle for almost a year now. Came up on one of the few fun downhill sections and was stomping it in the 11t when i saw a hiker in front of me me with that "oh shit" face. Pulled the levers and had the same face. Into the grass i went, looking like a total douche.  Got home,  pulled everything apart and found the pads completely contaminated. WTF.

Figured out the issue was the bike hanging on the wall, completely in the line of fire of the exhaust of my 125k tacoma staring up every day, complete with valve seal smoke. Just enough of that to coat the pads/rotors to make them completely useless. Ordered new pads, and some covers for the brakes. 

Brakes suck

Snag any video? 🙂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Wow!  They look like semi-metallic.  Can you wipe them with alcohol then burn them off? 

As I recall those are the factory metallic pads. I'd already sanded them once because they were squealing after the last outing in the rain. 

Those pads are DOA. Ordered sintered

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Successful bell surgery

20210402_200016.thumb.jpg.e112f2df752a1c20dd43fb35789c63e3.jpg

It stopped working during last night's ride. The return spring had somehow slipped out of it's home. It works now, thank goodness!

Bells are IMPORTANT. Both of my bikes have a LOUD bell.

14 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Successful bell surgery

20210402_200016.thumb.jpg.e112f2df752a1c20dd43fb35789c63e3.jpg

It stopped working during last night's ride. The return spring had somehow slipped out of it's home. It works now, thank goodness!

Every time I fix something, no matter how little, I am thankful that I don't have to go buy something to replace it.

• Like 4

I know a few you you run hydra hubs and was curious to see how your freehub body is holding up after extended use.

Here is mine after 1,000 miles. I’m noticing that the edge of the holes where the pawl slides into have a bit of wear.
3bab2af677d6b3bd52fccb427678322e.jpg

Also, how often are y’all cleaning and lubing the freehub body? I’ve arbitrarily decided every 500 miles is good. I’m using freehub oil and not grease so it’s my understanding that one should service more often but I can’t find a definitive answer online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a few you you run hydra hubs and was curious to see how your freehub body is holding up after extended use.

Here is mine after 1,000 miles. I’m noticing that the edge of the holes where the pawl slides into have a bit of wear.
3bab2af677d6b3bd52fccb427678322e.jpg

Also, how often are y’all cleaning and lubing the freehub body? I’ve arbitrarily decided every 500 miles is good. I’m using freehub oil and not grease so it’s my understanding that one should service more often but I can’t find a definitive answer online.

Well this escalated quickly. I shot some pictures over to i9 to get their opinion and within a hour they responded that they are going to send me a new freehub body. I’ve always heard they have great support but have never experienced it first hand.

• Like 2

I was just going to say to contact i9. Those guys are great.

* I need to go take a look at mine now though. [emoji51]

Also, trying to decide if I want to get oil or grease for the freehub. That loud hub sometimes works better than my bike bell. I might get both and experiment.

Dumond Tech makes a freehub oil and grease. I-9 recommends using their grease on the pawls and the oil on seals for their Hydra and 1-1 hubs and just the oil for the Torch hubs.

1809163251_ScreenShot2021-04-09at8_38_05AM.png.841d83bb2bb48fb52b207e3d2fb0b7bc.png

Most likely, that oil/ grease will be fine for most freehubs. I still have a tiny bottle of Hadley oil that will probably last me a decade.

If memory serves me correctly, Mavic recommended mineral oil brake fluid.

If you're feeling sassy, you can "freebase" some Slick Honey in a spoon and dribble it onto pawls. that sounds dirty!

Edited by mack_turtle

Dumond Tech makes a freehub oil and grease. I-9 recommends using their grease on the pawls and the oil on seals for their Hydra and 1-1 hubs and just the oil for the Torch hubs.

1809163251_ScreenShot2021-04-09at8_38_05AM.png.841d83bb2bb48fb52b207e3d2fb0b7bc.png

If memory serves me correctly, Mavic recommended mineral oil brake fluid.

If you're feeling sassy, you can "freebase" some Slick Honey in a spoon and dribble it onto pawls. that sounds dirty!

Yeah, they come mixed with the grease/oil combo. But they also say if you like them louder that you can switch to oil on the pawls. But you likely need to maintain them more often.

*edit - just noticed you posted i9’s description of what I just said. :P

• Like 1

I would think you want special grease for pawls.  Something that can take a high contact pressure with probably a good amount of zinc/sulphur.  That white stuff Chris King uses (some repackaged Dupont lube I think).  I would not use slick honey in my freehub.

15 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

DT350/DT240 and the CK hubs have different drive mechanisms but I think they still experience extreme pressure.

DT spreads the load over the entire Star ratchet. Pawls spread the load over just the pawls that are engaged typically three pawls even on a 6 pawl freehub only three are usually engaged. Chris King uses a spiral gear for engagement that as load increases the spiral gear engages more. Pawls are OK but usually show their weakness with heavier stronger riders. Higher end pawl hubs usually hold up well it's the OE ones that come spec'd on some bikes that typically fail. Wheels are usually where bike companies cheap out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chief said:

DT spreads the load over the entire Star ratchet. Pawls spread the load over just the pawls that are engaged typically three pawls even on a 6 pawl freehub only three are usually engaged. Chris King uses a spiral gear for engagement that as load increases the spiral gear engages more. Pawls are OK but usually show their weakness with heavier stronger riders. Higher end pawl hubs usually hold up well it's the OE ones that come spec'd on some bikes that typically fail. Wheels are usually where bike companies cheap out. 

Thanks for this.  Any idea how the Onyx Vesper hub compare in durability?  In principle the “cams” seem to operate like pawls?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Shaner