IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

My understanding with the hydra free hub is only one pawl is engaged at a time at first and as the torque is applied all six pawls engage. This reduces drag while coasting, but is stronger than their torch freehub when fully engaged. I haven’t seen many reports of them failing, but I’m sure like any other design their are some cases. I’ve heard from a few people in this forum (or mojo) that had their CK and DT hubs fail on them. Nothing’s perfect. I don’t know anything about the Sprague clutch longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

Thanks for this.  Any idea how the Onyx Vesper hub compare in durability?  In principle the “cams” seem to operate like pawls?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Shaner

Onyx hubs use a sprag clutch design. It's essentially a roller bearing that engages in one direction and when not engaged there is no contact with the hub shell allowing it to freewheel with no friction from the drive mechanism. Here's a good video of how it operates.

• Like 2

My experience with Sprague clutches (RC world) is that they are very sensitive to contamination rendering them useless.  I did get a chance to ride on an Onyx equipped bike, and it's pretty cool and feels solid with instant engagement.

I believe the CK failures are related to the retainer/tensioner nut.  At least the 2 I've seen/heard about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

@Cheif & AntonioGG, thanks for the input on the Onyx.  Recently started running a wheel set w/ them and wasn’t sure of the durability.  The feel of them is different from any other wheel I have ever ridden.

Cheers,

Shaner

You'll definitely need a bell on your bike if you didn't have one already. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, AntonioGG said:

The helical gear wear I don’t understand at all.  

I would not call it wear. I think I was breaking the teeth. I was on a ride and the rear hub started slipping. I tried to make it back to the trail head but one crank turn later the freehub spun freely. This was part of the year where I was focused on climbing. Clearly I torqued it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I would not call it wear. I think I was breaking the teeth. I was on a ride and the rear hub started slipping. I tried to make it back to the trail head but one crank turn later the freehub spun freely. This was part of the year where I was focused on climbing. Clearly I torqued it.

Clearly you don't know your own power.

image.png.3571d816b85cd3888de9fb965e163a11.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had to replace my rear brake caliper, it was a Shimano XT 8020 and couldn’t find a deal on one since they are discontinued. Ended up picking up a Deore 6120 caliper. The lower end Shimano brakes take a cotter pin which I hate. I prefer the screw in pin found on the higher tier brakes. I was able to tap in threads to the caliper to fit the screw in pin and also Saint/Zee finned pads fit in these brakes! They feel almost exactly like the XT’s!
3aff535f744a411c1cd00564c5997575.jpg

• Like 4

I had to replace my rear brake caliper, it was a Shimano XT 8020 and couldn’t find a deal on one since they are discontinued. Ended up picking up a Deore 6120 caliper. The lower end Shimano brakes take a cotter pin which I hate. I prefer the screw in pin found on the higher tier brakes. I was able to tap in threads to the caliper to fit the screw in pin and also Saint/Zee finned pads fit in these brakes! They feel almost exactly like the XT’s!
3aff535f744a411c1cd00564c5997575.jpg

Is there an advantage of using those pads?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I've called a few shops and I can't find a local source for 6803 bearings. need a pair for my front hub. anyone have a reliable source for things like that? Peddler in Cedar Park has one such bearing and it sounds like a lot of bike distros are out of them.

Not sure if your search included non-bike shops.  If it's a standard bearing size, did you try Purvis?

35 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Not sure if your search included non-bike shops.  If it's a standard bearing size, did you try Purvis?

that's what I was looking for, a non-bike shop. I finally called Mike at Sun and Ski and he said he has a bunch of em.

i looked up Pruvis but I think I'm missing something. they have 6803 size bearings for $99.44 each. why are they a hundred bucks? is that for a case of those bearings? I just need two.

I stopped buying from Amazon. don't want to make a big deal about that, but I was trying to find something at a local business rather than going automatically to the big A.

Edited by mack_turtle

2 hours ago, rockshins said:

I cannot tell a difference at all. Just had an extra pair from some old zee brakes.

Looks good!

Can also say the TruckerCo metallic sintered pads for zee/saint worked every bit as good as my finned saint metallic pads. Initial bite is a bit more aggressive but you can work through it. 

Also surprised they weren't tapped from the factory like the older deore were.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Looks good!

Can also say the TruckerCo metallic sintered pads for zee/saint worked every bit as good as my finned saint metallic pads. Initial bite is a bit more aggressive but you can work through it. 

Also surprised they weren't tapped from the factory like the older deore were.

Yeah I assumed they were tapped but came with cotter pins like the zee’s. Easy enough to do though. 

trucker co will be my next pads, my Utah friends also recommend them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rockshins said:

trucker co will be my next pads, my Utah friends also recommend them. 

+1- I have been running them for many years, I also started running their tire sealant a couple years ago and have been pleased with both.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I've called a few shops and I can't find a local source for 6803 bearings. need a pair for my front hub. anyone have a reliable source for things like that? Peddler in Cedar Park has one such bearing and it sounds like a lot of bike distros are out of them.

Somewhat related but if you need suspension bearings, I fully recommend RWC (aka Enduro Fork Seals). They list everything by bike and individually. In fact, if your bike isn't listed and you provide all of the correct sizes, they will send you a full set. This is how I rebuild my Mission a few years back.

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/

56 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Somewhat related but if you need suspension bearings, I fully recommend RWC (aka Enduro Fork Seals). They list everything by bike and individually. In fact, if your bike isn't listed and you provide all of the correct sizes, they will send you a full set. This is how I rebuild my Mission a few years back.

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/

I've never needed this, but I learned something new while looking around for bearings: they make their "max" bearings for suspension because they are made stronger to withstand impacts, not so much to spin fast. for hub bearings, you don't want the max ones.

just found some bearings at a local shop that was closed yesterday, so I'm covered.

• 3 weeks later...

Awhile back someone posted about a Box One "deal" on an 11 sp. drive train.  I ordered it and the box sat unopened for many months, until the big chain ring (triple crankset) died on my commuter bike a few months ago.  Lurched along on two chain rings until last Friday. 

Took the box o' new parts (derailleur, cassette, shifter, chain) to Monkey Wrench and they got it done.  No replacement bottom brackets were available so Ulysses (mechanic) worked his magic.  Bike is pedaling noticeably smoother and shifting works well.  Have to remember there's only one chain ring up front, though. 

The set up is now 2008 (?) titanium Fly Team mountain bike from Bikes Direct, original 29er wheelset (old-school quick release skewers) with narrow commuter tires, MRP rigid carbon fork,  Surly Terminal Bar handle bars, original cranks/bottom bracket and new drive train from Box One.  All good. Great for commuting + rail trail/bike path/gravel road, credit card touring. 

Also, sad news, Monkey Wrench is closing its doors at the end of July.  Another instance of a long-term viable shop being made unviable by rising rents in Austin. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1