IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

SS/geo experts, can I turn my 135 QR SS bike into 12x142 by changing to from 135mm to 142mm paragon-style sliders?  Obviously wheels/hubs too.  Also, I see Paragon no longer sells the sliders.  I see a few options but maybe this is incentive for me to finish setting up my milling attachment to my tabletop lathe and modify my current ones.

What kind of bike is it? I have some paragon sliders in my parts bin...

they are difficult to find on PMW the site because they make sliders, dropouts, and inserts.

I've owned two frames with inserts like that- Vassago and Soma. (I think US-made Vassago frames like the Verhauen used genuine PMW sliders/inserts, but the Jabberwocky was a bit cheaper by using generic sliders and inserts.) I think both used IRD sliders, which are basically the same thing as the PMW sliders. they are not a perfect match, but they should work interchangeably. PMW will tell you they are not the same thing, but that's mostly because they want you to buy their product, but also because they are not exactly the same thing, even if they work together.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

This is what I found in my bin:

IMG_0372.thumb.jpeg.fee34bbd74f67d11858d90f7d8a941af.jpeg

If you want to borrow these until you can get set up with the right ones, let me know. May also have the SS slider, but the hanger should not be an issue.

The left side has the wrong caliper mount for me, but I'm now positive of what I need so I'll go ahead and order from PMW, thanks though!

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

they are difficult to find on PMW the site because they make sliders, dropouts, and inserts.

It was actually under Hanger/Inserts-->Adjustable Dropouts.  I had been looking under Dropouts-->Adjustable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

The left side has the wrong caliper mount for me, but I'm now positive of what I need so I'll go ahead and order from PMW, thanks though!

It also has an adapter for post mount:

IMG_0373.thumb.jpeg.d2019f74d21a44fd27f89126f52f47e5.jpeg

I am not using it currently, it is a backup for my singlespeed in case I ever want to add gears.

If you can use it until the PNW gets here, let me know.

• Thanks 1

Staying on the brake tip. As silly as they seem, these Muc Off covers were lifesavers for our bikes on the trip to AZ. It rained for 4hrs of driving on the way out of TX and these things kept the brakes nice and dry with no oil and grime from riding behind the car for over 2k miles. Brake squeal has been something I've battled for years and totally glad I spent $30 not to hear it.

IMG_20210612_115026703.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

OK, my 2019 Orbea Occam has XT brakes, the rear brake has internal routing to the frame. 

Just got a pair of XTRs and they are too nice for the hardtail so I am thinking about putting these on the Occam and moving the Occam's XT brakes over to the hardtail.

I am assuming that the XT and the XTR cable attachments are exactly the same and I can leave the cable in place, just swapping the lever and the caliper for the real brake, right?

The XTRs were going to need a full gravity bleed anyway so it does not seem like this should be much extra effort, right?

On my roadbike, I got a low end bike but swapped my Di2 stuff and I just unscrewed levers and calipers and screwed the new ones on.  Of course that means I'll have to bleed.  I have spare olives as a last resort or if I need to shorten the hose but I'm going to try it as-is.

My bike was rattling around on the rear end, really driving me crazy. Had checked everything and then I realized that the derailleur hanger bolt sheared off:

IMG_0414.thumb.jpeg.997e95a43e38d1847d9602321a915269.jpeg

The problem is that the bike is from Spain and nobody keeps the little $9 part hanging around. 

Luckily the axle had the size and thread pitch stamped on it (the through axle goes in one side of the hanger and the hanger bolt goes in the other...)

While the total length on the bolt is only 5mm, I was able to find a reasonable solution:

IMG_0415.thumb.jpeg.59a5ef86576f0a64cc340cfeef5c5389.jpeg

Yeah, it's not pretty, but it ultimately works:

IMG_0416.thumb.jpeg.f228dda2957d1cce24dbf7807fe76cd5.jpeg

I think it might be a good idea to put some electrical tape on the frame underneath the washers, anyone else have a better idea?

While doing some googling last night I found that a Nissan oil pan plug happens to also be the same size (M12-1.25) and it shorter so I ordered one on amazon and it should be here for the weekend. That should cut down the number of washers required.

Because the bike ran fine for a few weeks before I was able to narrow down the problem I am pretty sure that I can make it like this for a few more weeks until those crazy Basque bastards get my bolts delivered. And the pro tip is to order two so that I don't ever have to go through this again.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Because the bike ran fine for a few weeks before I was able to narrow down the problem I am pretty sure that I can make it like this for a few more weeks until those crazy Basque bastards get my bolts delivered. And the pro tip is to order two so that I don't ever have to go through this again.

Is this bike equipped with a maxle or maxle stealth?

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

My bike was rattling around on the rear end, really driving me crazy. Had checked everything and then I realized that the derailleur hanger bolt sheared off:

IMG_0414.thumb.jpeg.997e95a43e38d1847d9602321a915269.jpeg

The problem is that the bike is from Spain and nobody keeps the little $9 part hanging around. 

Luckily the axle had the size and thread pitch stamped on it (the through axle goes in one side of the hanger and the hanger bolt goes in the other...)

While the total length on the bolt is only 5mm, I was able to find a reasonable solution:

IMG_0415.thumb.jpeg.59a5ef86576f0a64cc340cfeef5c5389.jpeg

Yeah, it's not pretty, but it ultimately works:

IMG_0416.thumb.jpeg.f228dda2957d1cce24dbf7807fe76cd5.jpeg

I think it might be a good idea to put some electrical tape on the frame underneath the washers, anyone else have a better idea?

While doing some googling last night I found that a Nissan oil pan plug happens to also be the same size (M12-1.25) and it shorter so I ordered one on amazon and it should be here for the weekend. That should cut down the number of washers required.

Send this to hack or bodge!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Is this bike equipped with a maxle or maxle stealth?

Nope, just a standard 148 boost bolt on axle. The hanger threaded piece is ~1" in depth, the axle screws in one side and the hanger bolt screws in the other. The frame does not have a pivot at the axle.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 6.03.13 AM.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

hacksaw and a file.

The oil pan bolt should be here today according to Amazon, we'll see how that works. If it does not I might give this a try. My hesitation is that the depth for the bolt is pretty small and that means a bad cut is less forgiving. I'll see what this afternoon's frankebike modification brings me.

• Like 2