IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Those are literally the same tire - Ardent 2.4's. The only difference is tubes vs. tubeless.

The picture looks like it was taken along the edge of a wall, so it appears the front tire is super narrow, but you can only see part of it. 

I love those Ardent 2.4s, great tires.

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

The picture looks like it was taken along the edge of a wall, so it appears the front tire is super narrow, but you can only see part of it. 

I love those Ardent 2.4s, great tires.

Took me a while on that perspective too. I thought at first he had some weird rigid lefty fork.

And it happened again! Ruined another i9 hydra freehub.

Called i9 and they had me send them a bunch of pictures. They are sending me another new freehub. This time it will be a modified version that is currently in development. I have to sign an NDA to not disclose exactly what that modification is.

61d44dd5ae125d6dbcfedf4859735a61.jpg

You can see there is a small gap between the pawl and the pawl pocket. That is not supposed to happen. Either my legs are producing more watts than this freehub can handle or I just have bad luck…the jury is still out on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

This?

image.thumb.png.292a86b8a659b2a85095333d18d1cf01.png

Thanks for posting these issues.  I know everyone's had trouble with pretty much every hub type, but I'm really enamored of the drive ring type of hubs (Chris King, DT Swiss) but I had considered i9 for my next wheelset.

Yep. Those tiny little gaps cause a bunch of noise when I pedal as the freehub moves slightly with each rotation. It doesn’t seem to effect engagement or coasting.

I don’t know if the issues I’ve had are normal (I suspect they are not) but I will say that i9’s customer service continues to be amazing. Despite the problems, I don’t think there is another hub I’d rather own at this point in time.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WLemke said:

I don’t know if the issues I’ve had are normal (I suspect they are not) but I will say that i9’s customer service continues to be amazing. Despite the problems, I don’t think there is another hub I’d rather own at this point in time.  

I suspect my Torch hub (purchased literally a week before Hydra came out) looks significantly worse than this, but still functions quite well. I clean them up and put the Dumonde Tech lube on them about every 1000 miles. This recent time after cleaning/lubing, I did hear a concerning extra little noise in he hub. It lasted about 2 rides then returned to normal. But these hubs are pushing 13k miles, so if they explode tonight, I'll be happy. And yeah, I also love I9's service. 

I'm also really happy with my DT Swiss 240 w/ 54t ratchet on my Chamois Hagar. I also clean it up and lube it with DT's hilariously small tub of "Special Grease" about even 1000 miles. For the price, I might even go this route next time I build a MTB wheel. 

13 minutes ago, Barry said:

I clean them up and put the Dumonde Tech lube on them about every 1000 miles. This recent time after cleaning/lubing, I did hear a concerning extra little noise in he hub. It lasted about 2 rides then returned to normal.  

I’m having to clean and reapply Dumonde tech every month to keep my hydra quiet. I’m hoping whatever modification they made to this new freehub will allow me to do this only every 1,000 miles. 

On 7/12/2021 at 10:24 AM, olddbrider said:

I wanted to close the loop on my experience with Trail Labs.

I'd use them again, but next time I'll be more diligent about checking in with them from time to time.

Follow up to my previous follow up...

On my second ride with my rebuilt shock, this happened. Oil everywhere. This was on a Saturday. I called and emailed TrailLabs, but they are closed on the weekend. Followed up with a phone call on Monday morning. After explaining the issue, they sent me a UPS shipping label. Dropped the shock off at UPS around noon on Monday. I got the shock back Saturday afternoon and was able to ride on Sunday. The shock seemed fine yesterday doing some pretty hard laps at Spider, but I guess we'll see how it holds up. Obviously, it's very frustrating to have to send parts back and lose the better part of a week, but I am still impressed with their customer service and turnaround times. As long as I don't continue to have issues I'd still tentatively recommend them, although I could have lived without the preachy note they included when they returned my shock.

leakyshock.jpg

• Like 1

Follow up to my previous follow up...
On my second ride with my rebuilt shock, this happened. Oil everywhere. This was on a Saturday. I called and emailed TrailLabs, but they are closed on the weekend. Followed up with a phone call on Monday morning. After explaining the issue, they sent me a UPS shipping label. Dropped the shock off at UPS around noon on Monday. I got the shock back Saturday afternoon and was able to ride on Sunday. The shock seemed fine yesterday doing some pretty hard laps at Spider, but I guess we'll see how it holds up. Obviously, it's very frustrating to have to send parts back and lose the better part of a week, but I am still impressed with their customer service and turnaround times. As long as I don't continue to have issues I'd still tentatively recommend them, although I could have lived without the preachy note they included when they returned my shock.

leakyshock.thumb.jpg.729caad17b72ba134de501d3b2da7145.jpg
What was the preachy note if you don't mind sharing the gist?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Cafeend said:

What was the preachy note if you don't mind sharing the gist?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Basically, they kinda insinuated that I might have caused the problem by doing aggressive riding with the compression control lever in the firm position. I would never do that, but in their defense they don't know that...

• Like 2

So, about 12 miles into my ride this morning, this happened:

IMG_0589.thumb.jpeg.6df11459cdd540eb312d6ac820fe8e74.jpeg

Apparently when I was confident that I had checked everything on the bike, the one thing I had neglected to check was the crank arm bolts. I had specifically moved to this kind of crank because the standard SRAM or RaceFace cranks with a single large bolt to hold the arm to the "crank axle" always came loose from singlespeed torque. These had been perfect for almost 2 years, until this morning.

IMG_0591.thumb.jpeg.49894bcc6a76a22256bfbe9e56fcc26b.jpeg

Luckily Harbor Freight was 5 minutes from the hotel (yay, small towns!) and I was able to get some generic loctite. Cleaned the crank arm off, applied loctite and then got the cranks tightened down as much as I could without the crank arm tightening tool. This will hold for the next few weeks. 

Pro tip: If you are opening up a brand new bottle of lube that was purchased ~6000 ft ago in altitude, open it over the grass, not the patio. Had to use some dishwashing liquid to clean up the explosion of oil over the patio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1