IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

OK, still working through my crank issues. Maybe @mack_turtle can weigh in on the condition of my current SLX.

I cleaned up the crank interface a bit and when doing so I saw this:

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.7b59293a3c56aca5f507bc4ca784beee.jpeg

Should it be like that? Looks like maybe I have one too many spacers and the arm is loosening because it is not gripping that much?

IMG_0609.thumb.jpeg.09f81f4e5a413549d3e829d2f671aeac.jpeg\

This is what the inside of the arm looks like. There is a large area where there is no contact with the spindle. Combine that with the other end and you're looking at a real small contact patch.

IMG_0610.thumb.jpeg.0467524375702a000e8b02a47cffc409.jpeg

Here is the spindle.

And last but not least, here is what the pinch bolts look like:

IMG_0611.thumb.jpeg.d24d76e92b44d7d538ab9732b25d8758.jpeg

At this point it is all cleaned up and reassembled. I cranked down the pinch bolts pretty hard but don't have a torque wrench to know how much is needed.

I am uncomfortable taking the non-drive side spacer out because  I did not bring that tool. Theoretically I could hit a shop and get a BB tool and some grease if I *had* to. Going to see how this holds for now over the next 2 days. I also have a cheap crank coming in from Amazon on Saturday and if the crank interface is better I may just use that. 

As a long shot, if the new arm fits on my existing crank, that would save me having to change the chainring. Ah the joys of hotel bike maintenance with only a couple of tools.

I'm pretty certain that's a 73mm shell. there should be 2.5mm of spacers on the drive side and NO SPACERS on the NDS. the illustration below is taking from the BB-MT800 instructions, but the spacers have been the same for many years. the BB comes with 1.8 and 0.7mm spacers, which could be replaced with one 2.5mm spacer.

260306066_ScreenShot2021-08-12at11_05_30AM.png.123df1147d7ca26cd86516c7adf6b75c.png

once you remove the spacer from the NDS, the spindle should go deeper into the arm. that should solve your problem because the arm will get more purchase on the spindle. borrow a torque wrench and get it cinched down properly. if you have problems after that, there's a good chance that the cranks have damage. but putting new cranks on with improper spacing on the BB cups will probably have the same bad results you're getting now.

Edited by mack_turtle

Had a nice ride this morning and made a stop in at the LBS. $24 later I was riding home with a bottom bracket tool in my jersey pocket.

I think I beat everyone on the garage thread:

IMG_0621.thumb.jpeg.6afde915692dd0810f5c2c82d700fd4c.jpeg

The good news is that taking the spacer out gave me a little more spindle contact area on the crankset:

1339601032_BeforeandAfter.thumb.png.da5b87f6527cd9ed6cf7a8d4c8c44d77.png

This *should* keep my crank arm on better. The cheap Amazon crankset will get tossed in the parts bin, wouldn't want to ride it for a long period of time, but it will be a nice replacement in a pinch when the SLX finally dies as apparently no LBS ever seems to have cranks in stock.

• Like 2

there's that little plastic bracket with a metal pin in it that fits in the "pinch gap". the pin should line up with a hole in the spindle. I guess it's Shimano's belt-and-suspenders CYA piece. when you had that extra spacer behind the cup, did that metal pin make it into its home? it seems like that should tell you that the spacing was wrong.

plate-pin-shimano-jpg.315658

Edited by mack_turtle

50 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Needed four linkage bearings but all else was fine.

A selfless plug for RWC. They have all kinds of suspension/bike bearings and list them individually and by set/ bike. If you give them specifics to build a new kit they don't have in their catalog they give you the set for free. I did this with my '07 Mission. 

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

A selfless plug for RWC. They have all kinds of suspension/bike bearings and list them individually and by set/ bike. If you give them specifics to build a new kit they don't have in their catalog they give you the set for free. I did this with my '07 Mission. 

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/

Thanks!

Ordered directly from forbidden and proceeded to pay $15 freaking dollars to ship a couple bearings and bolts. 

So all the back and forth with John and his NM trip/BB issues and tools got me thinking about this tech tip. Back before Performance went out of business I picked up one of these clam shell tool kits. 

tl226e01-black.jpg

https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-Elite-Bike-Tool-Kit-2?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFeWOA8DQBado5YEz3OtF_Ma7WFPW2A5n2JH785HmLLY9qC2a7854yRoCvVYQAvD_BwE

Lots of different versions of the same thing available out there. 

Do I already own all these tools individually, yes. Are they high quality, no. Do I take this clam shell anytime I am doing something bigger than a single ride away from home, YES. Just last month I swapped some BB spacers on a buddies bike out in Colorado. He too thought he needed to install all three that came with the BB and had all kinds of issues as a result. 

EDIT: The cassette lockring tool needs a 1/2" ratchet, so I keep a 1/2 - 3/8 adapter in the case as I have a full ratchet set in the truck as well. I do use those giant tire levers all the time at home as well. I also carry a separate setup for handling any tubeless issues (valves, stems, tool, syringe, bottle of stans, tire boot, etc). After this recent trip, I need to throw a handfull of extra bolts in the open space (M3,4,5,6, torx disc, cleat, etc), I loosened the stem on my bike to turn the bars for the Colorado drive, but found the stem bolts vibrated out (WB cage bolts to the rescue).

Edited by Mattlikesbikes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

So all the back and forth with John and his NM trip/BB issues and tools got me thinking about this tech tip. Back before Performance went out of business I picked up one of these clam shell tool kits. 

tl226e01-black.jpg

https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-Elite-Bike-Tool-Kit-2?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFeWOA8DQBado5YEz3OtF_Ma7WFPW2A5n2JH785HmLLY9qC2a7854yRoCvVYQAvD_BwE

.Just last month I swapped some BB spacers on a buddies bike out in Colorado. He too thought he needed to install all three that came with the BB and had all kinds of issues as a result. 

Edited by AustinBike

I just take some of the tools that are hanging and put them into my plastic Craftsman toolbox for any "away" bike trip (>= 1hr drive).  That includes my folding bike stand since I don't have one of those fancy car bike racks that double as a stand.

Edited by AntonioGG

38 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I just take some of the tools that are hanging and put them into my plastic Craftsman toolbox for any "away" bike trip (>= 1hr drive).  That includes my folding bike stand since I don't have one of those fancy car bike racks that double as a stand.

Don't forget your BB cup tool! You never know when you'll need that.