IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

Bikepacking.com's Friday Debrief featured this possibly handy, but fairly expensive, tool: UNIOR SCREW GRABBING PLIERS.

"As many of us have learned the hard way, there are a lot of imprecise tools out there (and bolts with shallow heads) making it easy to round out the recessed torx or hex rotor bolt or a stem bolt. Unior’s new 407/4DP Screw Grabbing Pliers offer a nice solution for loosening screws with stripped out heads."

Learn more HERE. 

• Like 2

I have been seeing advertisements for this stupid little shim tool that you use to align your brake calipers. You're supposed to put it on your disk and between your pads when you use the brake squeeze and tighten alignment method. Supposedly it does a better job of centering the pistons on the disk. 

I mean, who needs that? Just squeeze and tighten. Except that I've been fussing with mild pad/disk rub on both our gravel bikes for years. I've tried dozens of times to align them, and I've even used my own shims with limited results. And it's the whole reason I went to resin pads on these bikes--just to quieten the squeal. 

So I got this tool. And I'll be damned if I didn't work perfectly. No more noise. 

Screenshot_20220403-093706_Strava.thumb.jpg.6f9657c00c66fe1ecf4c318e5a59788a.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Need to look into their tools a bit more, they seem to have some real innovation.

Interesting side note:  I'm not familiar with these place names, but the company seems to be Slovenian.  They started out as an ironworks in the 18th century. The company's history is HERE

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Interesting side note:  I'm not familiar with these place names, but the company seems to be Slovenian.  They started out as an ironworks in the 18th century. The company's history is HERE

Birthplace of Pogaçar, Roglic, and Mohoric. A tiny but giant cycling nation. 

They have some cool tools and that lower end tool kit is not a bad deal.

5 hours ago, Barry said:

I have been seeing advertisements for this stupid little shim tool that you use to align your brake calipers. You're supposed to put it on your disk and between your pads when you use the brake squeeze and tighten alignment method. Supposedly it does a better job of centering the pistons on the disk. 

I mean, who needs that? Just squeeze and tighten. Except that I've been fussing with mild pad/disk rub on both our gravel bikes for years. I've tried dozens of times to align them, and I've even used my own shims with limited results. And it's the whole reason I went to resin pads on these bikes--just to quieten the squeal. 

So I got this tool. And I'll be damned if I didn't work perfectly. No more noise. 

Screenshot_20220403-093706_Strava.thumb.jpg.6f9657c00c66fe1ecf4c318e5a59788a.jpg

This is why I hold onto old business cards. They do the same. And, if you want to call some from Taiwan that you met 15 years ago, yeah, it can do that too.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, June Bug said:

I’m allegedly Slovenian somewhere down the line, my Croatian roots are easier to trace. All I know is that I got hit with a photo ticket from Slovenia doing ~200K/hr in my rental car. So I have that. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, AustinBike said:

This is why I hold onto old business cards. They do the same. And, if you want to call some from Taiwan that you met 15 years ago, yeah, it can do that too.

So it just toes in the pads like rim brakes setup has been done for nearly a century?  I used to use pretty much anything about as thick like packaging pads came in, top of cereal box, whatever was handy. Never really thought disk brakes had enough play to toe in. Hmmmm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chongo Loco said:

So it just toes in the pads like rim brakes setup has been done for nearly a century?  I used to use pretty much anything about as thick like packaging pads came in, top of cereal box, whatever was handy. Never really thought disk brakes had enough play to toe in. Hmmmm

Not toe-in on disks, just spacing.  I did the same trick on cantis and also used cereal boxes!

• 4 weeks later...

I've had two sets of Avid Elixers on two different bikes.  The first set worked flawlessly for many, many years until front and rear decided to die simultaneously.  Pffffft!  Having them rebuilt at a bike shop cost more than buying a new set of Shimanos, so Deore hydraulics are now on that bike. 

Now I'm five (six?) years into another set of Elixers on another bike and the rear brake died last night at Walnut.  Oddly, can't find any fluid leaking anywhere, but the brake lever was almost at the handlebar.  

Anyone used REI Gateway for bike repairs?

Alternately, may try Bike House. 

Either way,  *off to give the Salsa Spearfish a nice bath first*

Will probably go with Shimano XT for replacements. 

Edited by June Bug

If it were Shimano I'd tell you to bring them by my house and I could bleed them, but I have no Avid experience, and from what I hear, don't want any.

I have the Shimano kit and fluid, a full bleed takes about an hour for both wheels once you factor in the beer time in the middle.

Thanks for the feedback, AB! 

Yes, Mr. JB attempted to bleed the first set of Avids, which was a frustrating and  ultimately unsuccessful exercise. 

Last Oct. when we were in Colorado, a small, recently opened bike shop bled the brakes for me.  The repair area was a bike stand behind the front desk and the mechanic/owner/sales guy had two syringes of brake fluid, one in each hand. Effortless for him, while he carried on a conversation with Mr. JB about bike stuff. 

Kokopelli Bike & Board Dolores, across the street from Dolores River Brewery 

Avid / SRAM always seemed like too much hassle to own for me. Maybe they've gotten better, but i hated dealing with Juicy and Elixir models. However, SRAM made/makes parts available to rebuild calipers and levers, whereas Shimano does not.

TRP has some nice compromises. Great braking, easy to service, some parts available.

If money was no concern, I'd switch to Hope brakes for serviceability.

I need to replace the bearings in my Industry Nine 1-1 driver. the job seems to require a special tool, but it's possible that other bearing tools will work. It also has an oddball double-row bearing that might be hard to source. anyone know who might have those in town?

Gave the Spearfish a nice bath and got it over to Bike House. Dodged multiple bullets.  Turns out a brake bleed did the trick and if I need to replace the brakes in the future, there is ongoing SRAM compatibility between the brakes and the shifters; they will play nicely on the handlebars. 

I asked about a creak, and a likely culprit is a plastic spacer in the press fit bottom bracket.  Will replace with a metal spacer when the time comes. 

Really nice shop; turns out there a time slot available just when I dropped by with the bike, so very quick turnaround, like I was home for less than 15 minutes quick when they called for me to pick it up. 

It's easy to miss the shop the first time. It's on the west side of Burnet, next to what used to be the light bulb shop, and still has the big lightbulb on top.  

• Like 1