IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

Does anyone know of a good shop that would have parts for building wheels?  Specifically I am looking for 15g brass nipples.  The reality is I actually just need one nipple, as I happen to have 31 that have been in my toolbox since forever.  Not sure how I lost one along the way.

I have a nice set of hubs that I am building for my kid's bike.  Had them built for his 20" bike, now building them up for his 24" bike.  I have a good source for 15g straight spokes in custom lengths, but they don't come with nipples.  Buying the nipples online would just not be worth the shipping cost (for 1 or 32).  

Yea, it is 15g.  I have plenty of 14g.  The idea for 15g came from looking at options for custom length spokes, since these are fairly short to build 24" wheels.  You can more easily get any length when doing straight gauge, and since the kid weighs maybe 60 pounds, I don't really need double butted (14/15/14).  Wish I had thought of this with his previous wheels, since he outgrew that bike so quickly and straight gauge spokes are cheaper anyways. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtb_jeremy said:

Does anyone know of a good shop that would have parts for building wheels? Specifically I am looking for 15g brass nipples.

try this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQFjFhyVnK7hGLRnw9sGv6qX_rQIHXEhhhGE_AqPNVOiaJ-A/viewform

Your request will go to several bike shops in the region who can respond if they can help out. I'll bet that most bike shops have a handful of such nipples if they take the time to look around.

This is driving me mad.  I serviced the lowers on my fork and I can’t seem to put together the squid lock such that it unlocks out correctly.  This is a push to unlock system and it controls both shock and fork.  The shock has plenty of return strength but the fork does not.  I can pretension the spring and that has enough to close the valve when I release it, but as soon as I put the wire on, it just won’t close all the way back.  I’ve spent hours on this multiple days here and there.  I’ve used about 7 wires.   I’m glad I have saved the short wires from projects past.  I checked the original wire thickness and the replacements are no wider than the original.

anyone got any tips?

9 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

Recently bought a Cyclospirit derailleur hanger tool (amazon). So much better shifting! Probably should've bought one years ago. 

someone recently told me that "most bike shops don't have a derailer alignment tool" and I was like 🤯. I don't think it's true. Everyone who rides a lot should be familiar with this process and know how to use this tool. good to hear there's an affordable option. I made my own but I really have no use for it.

fun fact: on most conventional bikes, replacing a bent derailer hanger—assuming it's beyond straightening—is not enough! you always need to put a tool on it to ensure that it's aligned with the vertical plane of the bike, or your shifting will continue to be crappy. There's no garauntee that a new hanger will be aligned properly just because it's new.

• Like 1

If I have a weird gap in my shifting between 2 cogs in the middle of the cassette will this tool help? I have a weird sport between like 6 and 8.

Shifting one way I can shift between 6 and 7 but the other way I have to shift twice and then back off one gear. Did it on both cassettes (old and recently replaced) so I think it may be the hanger.

it can never hurt to put an alignment tool to "adjust" the hanger. if the hanger is truly bent, i would not use a tool to "bend it back." unfortunately, it's difficult to tell how bent is too bent. if your shifting feels off, it's a good idea to check the alignment as one peice of the puzzle. if it's clear to the naked eye that it's bent, it might be too late.

gearboxes: what's taking so long?!

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

If I have a weird gap in my shifting between 2 cogs in the middle of the cassette will this tool help? I have a weird sport between like 6 and 8.

Shifting one way I can shift between 6 and 7 but the other way I have to shift twice and then back off one gear. Did it on both cassettes (old and recently replaced) so I think it may be the hanger.

That’s the perfect example of what an out of aligned hanger does.

15 hours ago, AustinBike said:

This is exactly why I bought it. Bike was fine, but for a few gears down. Was driving me nuts, because that was the gear I used for the short, ledgy climbs (still easy to crank, but not enough to spin out.) All good now. 

Edited by jcarneytx
moar words

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

My front porch is closer than your house 😉 

In 1995 while at UT, my roommate was getting married.  So I had to go to Lakeline mall to pick-up my tux.  I remember driving up here and seeing nothing but trees, and wondering, who in TF would build a mall in the middle of nowhere?   My house was already built by then so I'm sure a big part of it was trees hiding the neighborhoods, but I think also there wasn't a lot of stuff out north of Spicewood/McNeil.

I have gone through a couple products from

Prestacycle and have tried to cobble together some combo of fittings to use my compressor with my presta valves for inflation. 

I don't recommend Prestacycle products and cobbling fittings together hasn't proved successful 

So what do yall use? I am thinking I am gonna shell out for the spendy Park inflator just to have a reliable and working tool.

It cannot possibly be this hard 

Thanks

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Prestacycle and have tried to cobble together some combo of fittings to use my compressor with my presta valves for inflation. 

I don't recommend Prestacycle products and cobbling fittings together hasn't proved successful 

So what do yall use? I am thinking I am gonna shell out for the spendy Park inflator just to have a reliable and working tool.

Thanks

I use one of these. I have a couple if you want one.

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Thanks

Is this for seating tires or just inflation?

8 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Thanks

This is what I use. Works great, have had it for several years with no issues:

https://www.austinbike.com/index.php/repairs/109-repair-building-a-low-cost-presta-air-chuck

Just ordered this Presta/Schrader Head w/hose from Amazon to repair a floor pump, the part could easily be adapted to a compressor using AB's idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Floor-Pump-Auto/dp/B00JLYDKIA?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Also saw a Ryobi 18V Inflator adapted this way, for folks who use Ryobi.

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Just snip the OEM head off the hose and install this Planet Bike head (no hose) for Presta/Schrader flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Floor-Pump-Auto/dp/B00JLXNIF6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I second the @WLemke setup. I have digital gauge version of the link he posted. I’m pretty sure I got the idea from him or AB 4-5 years ago. After about two years I replaced the hose with a double head hose. Also works great to keep my vehicle tires inflated to recommended pressures.