IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

22 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Seating tires

Ah, I've been using this air nozzle that I've had for 30+ years and piece of fuel line. Figured this white trash method has worked for over a decade, so why change it😁

IMG_20220606_171205933.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
Date
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Ah, I've been using this air nozzle that I've had for 35+ years and piece of fuel line. Figured this white trash method has worked for over a decade, so why change it😁

IMG_20220606_171205933.jpg

Is that a rubber fuel line on a steel fuel or brake line?  As a result of this thread I was thinking about how to improve on the nozzle, and I love your idea.

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Is that a rubber fuel line on a steel fuel or brake line?  As a result of this thread I was thinking about how to improve on the nozzle, and I love your idea.

Yep, just pushed a hose over the metal line on the gun. Slides snugly over the valve stem .

The large amount of airflow volume seats tires instantly. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 7:32 AM, Chief said:

I use one of these. I have a couple if you want one.

Unknown.jpeg

I use this for seating but I don't keep my compressor on and rigged up for everyday use/ general inflation.

It took me a few tries to get these to work... because my dumba$$ was screwing them all the way down which closed the presta valve and wouldnt allow inflation.  Once I backed it off some it works flawlessly.

• Like 1

Does this make my Stan's look fat?

IMG_3525.thumb.jpeg.372814d41ef1e29ade78a89dcac77655.jpeg

I went to fill one of the bikes today and this was in my injector. The bottle of Stans is ~18 months old, it is the "race sealant."

I checked online and found out, surprise!, that the race sealant is not compatible with the injector. Never found that out until today, must have been the way I was tipping the bottle, only got the light stuff at the top. 

Back to standard sealant or maybe orange seal as someone keeps telling me that is the way to go.

I my experience, the injector seems to clog with any sealant that's worth a damn.

I just break the bead and pour it in. myself and my garage were sprayed with sealant for one too many times to ever touch that injector again. 

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Does this make my Stan's look fat?

IMG_3525.thumb.jpeg.372814d41ef1e29ade78a89dcac77655.jpeg

I went to fill one of the bikes today and this was in my injector. The bottle of Stans is ~18 months old, it is the "race sealant."

I checked online and found out, surprise!, that the race sealant is not compatible with the injector. Never found that out until today, must have been the way I was tipping the bottle, only got the light stuff at the top. 

Back to standard sealant or maybe orange seal as someone keeps telling me that is the way to go.

I posted about this, probably a few months ago.  I tried to use the injector and the hose came off and I was coated in Stan's race sealant.  The race sealant seems to work really well, but I just stuck with regular since then because I like to use the injector.  I've not had good luck with the Orange seal, but was watching the Unbound gravel and one of the top dudes said Orange Seal did its job.

My son just blew the rear shock on his old Specialized Stumpjumper S Works (26” wheels).  I rode the bike for five or six years and handed it down to him when I found I couldn’t get the shocks serviced, three or four years ago.  I never expected it to still be running, but he has really been enjoying it and riding it hard.  What do you think the chances are of finding a replacement shock to fit it and where would you start?

B94DAA2E-7E91-4868-913C-930A7ADC6544.jpeg

17 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I posted about this, probably a few months ago.  I tried to use the injector and the hose came off and I was coated in Stan's race sealant.  The race sealant seems to work really well, but I just stuck with regular since then because I like to use the injector.  I've not had good luck with the Orange seal, but was watching the Unbound gravel and one of the top dudes said Orange Seal did its job.

If anyone wants a half full bottle of race formula Stan's, hit me up, I'm tossing it and getting the real stuff.

15 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

If anyone wants a half full bottle of race formula Stan's, hit me up, I'm tossing it and getting the real stuff.

+1 for Orange Seal Endurance sealant. Been using it for years with almost zero flats. The two times I’ve even noticed it doing it’s job were decent sized thorns. So, either I never get any punctures, or this stuff works. It smells WAY better too. 😛

It’s only failed two times for me. One was a really bad pinch flat right at the bead, and the other was a tire cut about 1cm long up in Bentonville which needed the help of a bacon strip.

• Like 1

My new bike came with Stan's. Everything else I have has Orange Seal.

So I got a puncture on the new bike and the Stan's worked. Quickly. But then the next ride that same puncture came open again. It sealed up again but that reopening thing has never happened to me with Orange Seal.

Based on my very limited experiences I will now say that Stan's works quickly and well, but doesn't stay. Orange Seal takes a little more time/losing air to work, but will last the duration of the tire. 

I have been running Trucker Co sealant for several years (and their brake pads for probably a decade). I haven't had to think about it much so I feel like I have been getting good results. The injector just has rubber tubing that goes over the valve stem and the sealant basically just pours in, I really only need the plunger to get the remainder that is sticking to the walls into the tire. There is never any pressure so I can't image it ever spraying everywhere. The applicator says one time use but I just clean it and use it the 3 or 4 times until the bottle is empty and use the new injector for the new bottle. I think I have been using the Cream II formula since they started offering 2 formulas.

https://www.truckerco.com/tire-sealant-retail

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GFisher said:

I have been running Trucker Co sealant for several years (and their brake pads for probably a decade).

Can attest to the quality of their brake pads. Never any reason to overpay for OEM shimano again.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, AustinBike said:

My neighbor likes the Race version.  If you come out to my hood this weekend I'll grab it from you.

8 hours ago, Taco Man said:

My neighbor likes the Race version.  If you come out to my hood this weekend I'll grab it from you.

If I am riding out that way I will drop it on your porch. High probability of a Sunday ride, depends on a few things at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Annoying creak coming from the front of my bike today. I tore the headset apart to see if the handlebar or fork was compromised. Found this crack in the headset compression ring instead.20220625_125917.thumb.jpg.99b94ee753d98913f1b60404f32391da.jpg

(At the top, right next to the split).

That might be causing it. That part costs $6, so I'm just going to replace it to rule that out 

I'm always messing with my bike, so I probably moved my stem on my fork and didn't have the headset snugged down completely when I started riding. It usually takes a few blocks of pedaling before I notice a knock in my headset and stop to fix it. new part is on its way.

if that doesn't make the noise go away, it's probably my fork CSU flexing again.