IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

Anyone mess with lithium battery packs? I've got a Cycliq rear light/camera combo and while the battery is somewhat easy to remove I cannot find an off the shelf replacement. It's an 18650 3200mA with a PHR3 connector on it. I've had large battery packs built but cannot find somebody to do a single cell. I assume (have not pulled apart) that it is welded vs soldered, so that takes it out of my equipment available.

Let me know. Beer or cash in it.

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I know it's not advised, but I've soldered to the ends of an 18650 a bunch of times and I'm still alive.  I used low temp solder, a big tip, RA flux, and just tried to get it done as fast as possible.

I tracked one down with the wrong connector, but it looks like I can pop the pins out of both and try that route first. But yeah, for something that is well held, no stress on the solder, seems doable without welds

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A sign on the door at REI Gateway entrance today noted that they won't be doing any bike service or repairs because they don't have any mechanics. 

REI let go 150+ people at headquarters recently. 

REI also went from a net income of $97.7 million in 2021 to a $164.7 million loss in 2022 in spite of record sales, accord to a website that tracks such things. 

The salesman I talked to about a bike part seemed to allude to problems but wasn't specific. A few weeks ago there were several mechanics busy working in the repair bay. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, June Bug said:

A sign on the door at REI Gateway entrance today noted that they won't be doing any bike service or repairs because they don't have any mechanics. 

REI let go 150+ people at headquarters recently. 

REI also went from a net income of $97.7 million in 2021 to a $164.7 million loss in 2022 in spite of record sales, accord to a website that tracks such things. 

The salesman I talked to about a bike part seemed to allude to problems but wasn't specific. A few weeks ago there were several mechanics busy working in the repair bay. 

Just saw a video that REI is closing their only location in Portland.

-CJB

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've probably said this before, but I learned more in my first month working as a bike tech at REI (downtown Austin) in 2013 than I had learned in my previous four years working in other bike shops (high-end tri and mtn shops that sold Trek, Cervelo, Cannondale, Scott, etc). Their methods are only as good as the practitioners, but the company sets a high standard for bike techs. Unfortunately, they under-use and under-pay the talent. The corporate-style practice did not allow for expanding labor in the shop to meet demand. When more people started bringing in bikes for repairs in May and June, the company did not put more hours on the schedule for the techs, so we started scheduling repairs 3–4 weeks out and beyond. (The bike shop where I worked before that had a guaranteed turnaround of two business days, and they kept staff busy to meet that every week.) in the meanwhile, the part-time techs were getting 12 hours a week in the shop and being put on front register duty or selling tents while paying customers' bikes lay around in the shop waiting for someone to work on them. it was maddening.

The bike shop in downtown REI is very well equipped and stocked. The current lead bike tech seems like a good dude as well. sad to see so many missed opportunities. I have to wonder if they're keeping on on e-bike tech.

it sounds like their refusal to challenge and pay qualified professionals what they're worth is biting them in the ass as a company. that's why I left, but that was over six years ago. I've taken those skills to fixing neighbors' bikes and Yellow Bike Project instead. can't let all that go to waste!

related: https://thedaily.outdoorretailer.com/news/brands-and-retailers/rei-grapples-with-aging-membership-base/

I noticed some recent ads from REI that seem like a desperate attempt to get the attention of a younger and less-white audience. regardless of how it affects their bottom line, I hope it works to get those demographics outdoors more.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Retail as a whole is dying. Most from their own hand.

As an experienced mechanical person, I like to support the LBS with parts buying--rarely mechanic help (seat tube reaming, BB facing on a new frame), but having to order common parts (even pre-COVID) at the LBS, wait for them, and pay more for the part doesn't make sense at all.  Even big box stores like Home Depot are starting to do the same thing.  I love my neighborhood Ace Hardware, tiny, but a great selection of things like fasteners with great service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

As an experienced mechanical person, I like to support the LBS with parts buying--rarely mechanic help (seat tube reaming, BB facing on a new frame), but having to order common parts (even pre-COVID) at the LBS, wait for them, and pay more for the part doesn't make sense at all.  Even big box stores like Home Depot are starting to do the same thing.  I love my neighborhood Ace Hardware, tiny, but a great selection of things like fasteners with great service.

Can confirm. Sealant only at the LBS and that's because i forgot to order online.

My buddy is trying to buy the new "chainsaw" from Devinci and they required you to go through the LBS. Basically every dealer in the Salt Lake valley gave him the runaround and were unhelpful. Very frustrating for a guy wanting to buy a fairly pricey bike. Then Devinci recently announced Jenson will be an online retailer for them now. Problem solved.

We just bought a house built in the mid 60s that is getting a bunch of reno work. I absolutely dread going to blowes or the despot to get my supplies. We're fortune enough to have a family owned, small hardware store within walking distance of my home. Problem is they're usually out of what you need, or want too much for it when they have it or have supplies that are less than harbor freight in quality. I gave them three chances and gave up. I buy anything and everything I can online to avoid the hellscape that is big box.

There's a McCoy's here but it's a bit of a hump to get to. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I went to the despot  looking for 6AWG ring lugs (6AWG with 50A circuit pulling 40A).  What they carry is downright dangerous (basically no different thickness than 18AWG lug just takes a bigger wire!)  So I went to the river online place and saw a bunch of reviews that made it seem like a bunch of brand name UL listed lugs were actually knockoffs.  I ended up at McMaster-Carr.  Always a reliable place, with full documentation including drawings.  The quality of the lugs is outstanding.  Pricey but worth it for peace of mind.

• Like 1

REI is having a big Memorial Day sale starting on the 19th.  I'm contemplating getting a microSHIFT Advent X setup and use my 20% off  and Mr. JB's 20% off to lower the price on the two most expensive parts. 

I need a 1 x drivetrain to make the dropper seat post work; there is no way to make it work with the shifters for the double chain ring set up I have now and easily access the dropper lever.  I still like my 10-year-old Spearfish, so this would be a (relatively) inexpensive way to upgrade. 

I had planned to order the parts and have REI do it to get their member discount on the install, but now that won't happen. 

Dear Hive Mind:  I'd like to keep my nice carbon cranks, but will need a  new chain ring and does the bottom bracket get replaced or no? 

Edited by June Bug

9 hours ago, June Bug said:

I need a 1 x drivetrain to make the dropper seat post work; there is no way to make it work with the shifters for the double chain ring set up I have now and easily access the dropper lever.  I still like my 10-year-old Spearfish, so this would be a (relatively) inexpensive way to upgrade. 

I had planned to order the parts and have REI do it to get their member discount on the install, but now that won't happen. 

Dear Hive Mind:  I'd like to keep my nice carbon cranks, but will need a  new chain ring and does the bottom bracket get replaced or no? 

There are dropper post triggers that will fit next to a left shifter. They're not very sexy, but if you want to keep your 2x setup, you can. However, getting a good deal on a 1x drivetrain is a good reason to ditch the front derailer and make room for a dropper trigger.

REI downtown might still have mechanics, but it still blows my mind that they had to close the shop! installing those parts should not require any weird tools that I don't have, so I'd be happy to help out. it will give me something to do with the incoming rain.

installing a dropper post is no more difficult than installing a regular seatpost plus a mechanical brake. considering the age of the bike, you might need one with the cable routed outside the frame, which is even easier.

depending on the cranks, you can probably keep the cranks and just put a new chainring on and use the old BB. this would be a good opportunity to inspect the bearings and replace them as well, if needed. that's also something I can handle if some sort of weirdo press-fit BB is not involved. even then, I have a bearing press and drifts that I have not used yet.

Edited by mack_turtle

Thanks for the offer.  I won't be ordering, though, until the sale starts on the 19th. Good to know that the bottom bracket and cranks can still be used and yes, bottom bracket bearings inspection will be good. 

The dropper post was installed last summer.  I made it work by stopping at the top of the drops that were "scary", dropped the post, got into the small chainring and gear to climb up since two of the drops went into drainages with an immediate steep climb out.  

Now, what about an oval chainring?  Anyone want to share an opinion?

I've been using oval chainrings for a while now. I switched back to see if it made a difference and I honestly can't tell. Some people swear they make a difference. When you need a new ring, there appear to be no downsides. There was a rumor that ovals wear out derailers faster, but that appears to be nonsense. It works on singlespeed, too, if the oval was made correctly.

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

There was a rumor that ovals wear out derailers faster, but that appears to be nonsense.

I had an 11 speed XT last me several thousand miles before and during a particularly dusty ATX summer. I eventually noticed that the clutch gave me a little "squeek-squeek-squeek" with each pedal turn. You'd have never noticed that the mechanism was in need of lube if it was spinning on a round ring. But since it was on an oval, it was stressed slightly with each turn, and gave me that little complaint. So I took off the cover plate and lubed up the clutch with Smoove. Then it was crickets. I was still running that derailer thousands of miles later (with a few more lube jobs) when I destroyed it entirely at RPR. 

40 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

It works on singlespeed, too, if the oval was made correctly.

And indeed! I run an Absolute Black on my singlespeed and it works spectacularly. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, June Bug said:

What model crankset? You might have to play with spacing to get chainline where you want it with a single ring.

Ovals are great for everything but high pivots. 

3 hours ago, June Bug said:

Now, what about an oval chainring?  Anyone want to share an opinion?

I've had AB Ovals on 3 bikes now for 7+ years. I love 'em. They are subtle, "getting used to them" is a matter of less than 1-ride

2-3 areas where I notice their benefits, enough to make me prefer them:

• Low Traction, I spinout less in wet/super dry conditions, Right as it starts to peak, the oval backs off the torque and I can maintain steady power without breaking loose.
  • Powering out of corners, when I'm too lazy to downshift, I can feel the oval giving me some room for error and still power down out of slow turns
  • Stall Speed, kind of the same thing as the two above. On techie stuff, when stalling results in stopping, I can keep going from almost 0mph more often than a round. 
Edited by RedRider3141
  • Like 4

They opened that very nice store in Round Rock by IKEA, then closed it a few years ago.  

It was a great location - incredible volume of traffic goes by everyday and it's by I 35.  

I'd guess the demographic wasn't right. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, June Bug said:

They opened that very nice store in Round Rock by IKEA, then closed it a few years ago.  

It was a great location - incredible volumee of traffic goes by everyday and it's by I 35.  

I'd guess the demographic wasn't right. 

went in there a few times while eating lunch at tarka or fortune garden next door. 

store was well stocked, clean, friendly and empty. 

retail is dead

Edited by ATXZJ

Retail is dead because it is an inefficient model. Putting things on shelves, hoping that people will pass buy is never a strong strategy. Amazon gets things to me next day most times. Occasionally I can even get it same day. Prime is a value. The only time I go into a shop is to have repairs done, it is just not cost effective to buy components there. It's not their fault, it's just an economic reality.

• Like 1