IGNORED

Tech/Maintenance

Chief

6 hours ago, bradtubgin said:

I have some wheels will a few broken spokes.  What is the best way to find replacements?  Some are straight pull, some J hook.  Local bike shops?  

Because there are different sizes, it is probably worth going to a shop to get your spokes, you'll be guaranteed to have the right stuff. Installing spokes is not that hard, usually the worst part is if you have to undo the rim strips and reinstall the tape. Sometimes I have been able to sneak a spoke in without taking the tape off, but as a practice this is not a good idea.

Once you have all the spokes, you'll just need a truing stand to help make sure you have the wheel back in true once you are done. I have one you can borrow if you do not have one.

7 hours ago, bradtubgin said:

I have some wheels will a few broken spokes.  What is the best way to find replacements?  Some are straight pull, some J hook.  Local bike shops?  

I am not sure, but I don't think many shops stock straight pull spokes. If you can find specs on the exact wheel, perhaps you can find the correct length online. Measure one from the same side of that wheel to be certain.

8 hours ago, bradtubgin said:

Remove one spoke on each side of hub and measure with a metric ruler or tape measure.

19 hours ago, bradtubgin said:

How many broken spokes in each wheel?  Did they fail on their own or was it some object breaking them?  If they failed on their own you may want to just relace the whole wheel, or figure out why the spokes are breaking.  I had a wheel that I got 2nd hand that was breaking spokes.  Turns out it had some spokes of different sizes.  I replaced all those to match with the rest of them and my problems stopped.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:47 AM, AustinBike said:

Because there are different sizes, it is probably worth going to a shop to get your spokes, you'll be guaranteed to have the right stuff. Installing spokes is not that hard, usually the worst part is if you have to undo the rim strips and reinstall the tape. Sometimes I have been able to sneak a spoke in without taking the tape off, but as a practice this is not a good idea.

Once you have all the spokes, you'll just need a truing stand to help make sure you have the wheel back in true once you are done. I have one you can borrow if you do not have one.

You can actually use your frame or fork as a truing stand with a zip tie, or pencil and rubber band, or various other methods.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:43 AM, mack_turtle said:

I am not sure, but I don't think many shops stock straight pull spokes. If you can find specs on the exact wheel, perhaps you can find the correct length online. Measure one from the same side of that wheel to be certain.

The Peddler in Cedar Park actually has straight pull spokes they can cut and thread to may length. MJ's also has a large stock 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Peddler has a 44mm headtube tool.

ATX Bikes faced my BB shell.

REI downtown has all those tools too.

Technically neither the Peddler or REI had a 44mm headtube reamer/facer. Peddler Cedar Park currently has access to one though, if you talk to the right guy.

I'd be careful going to REI downtown, they haven't had a qualified mechanic in a few years.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The bearings on this BB should move how freely?
Right side moves pretty decent. Left side takes effort. If I stick my finger in it and rotate , it moves but not great. Not sure what my expectations should be exactly. 5f6fb9f1a5c12dd96f745f0b9b46db4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

The best I can describe it would be "hydrologic" movement. You want it to move smoothly, but it'll have some drag from the grease. Those can be serviced if you careful, but they are so cheap I usually just replace them.

This is something I've wanted to ask.  Would you say there's a different level of resistance to moisture within the Shimano range of products? 

Yeah, they should both move about the same, but when a BB bearing goes south it is almost always one bearing and not both. I would love it if they sold one side only. They are cheap enough to just replace, but it would be even cheaper if I could just buy one size. Maybe we should all start saving the bad ones so that we can mix and match when one goes south. Same thing with Time pedals. I have like 5 extra pedals, all one side. Seems like I only break one side (I think the drive side.)

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Same thing with Time pedals. I have like 5 extra pedals, all one side. Seems like I only break one side (I think the drive side.)

How many miles per pedal do you get?  As I weigh switching to Time from my worn out and close to 15k miles on my XTR SPDs it gives me pause to read this.

Back on topic:

I've had to switch Shimano BB 2x due to wet races at Rocky Hill and 1x for a muddy race at Warda.

I've had to switch an SRAM BB once because of play.  That is, it spun smoothly, but there was play in the cranks once the BB was tightened to spec.  This is after many thousands of miles though.

47 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

How many miles per pedal do you get?  As I weigh switching to Time from my worn out and close to 15k miles on my XTR SPDs it gives me pause to read this.

Back on topic:

I've had to switch Shimano BB 2x due to wet races at Rocky Hill and 1x for a muddy race at Warda.

I've had to switch an SRAM BB once because of play.  That is, it spun smoothly, but there was play in the cranks once the BB was tightened to spec.  This is after many thousands of miles though.

I get a lot out of pedals, not a concern, Time are good investments. The collection of pedals is over 6+ bikes for the past ~12-15 years....

As to bottom brackets it is really dependent on conditions. I tend to burn through them more on my commuter because that one is out in the rain more often. The nice bikes stay inside in bad conditions.

• Like 1