IGNORED

Southwest Williamson County Regional Park

Yup, there's plenty of single track out there, but most of it is fairly flat. In the East side there some techy stuff, but still quite tame. I enjoy riding out there for the solitude, because you can ride for close to 10 miles and not see another bike.  I haven't been out there this year though. Might be a good time to revisit.

I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention, actually.

Note to Throet, this is a great rehab trail system

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedRider3141 said:

...is there anything worthwhile as far as singletrack?

I'm no expert as I have only been once...last Saturday. If I lived right there I would ride it a bit I'm sure. And it's on TrailForks, but TF certainly doesn't show all the single-track. There is probably 3-6 miles (maybe more/less?) of loamy, twisty and low-tech rocky single-track, mixed with 6 or so miles of  gravel paths. The single-track is fun enough, and reminiscent of some of the flat and under-ridden SATN trails. But it is flat and probably not worth going out of your way to ride. It is also hard to combine this with Suburban Ninja because E Whitestone is a nightmare for bikes. Although E Whitestone does have quite a few huge and fun concrete drainage ditches that can get you away from the road in spots. 

Pretty soon I'm planning to do WilCo again as part of a much bigger ride combining it with Brushy, Behrens and Xtal falls. And it seems Peddlers has the same idea for another Nutcracker next month. But those types of rides will be the only reason I'll get over there.

• Like 2

From The Peddler/Red Horn there are a couple options for getting to Wilco.

1) cross 1431 at the light and roadie up to CR 179/Journey Pkwy then east to 174/Sam Bass and South to Wilco.

2) Ride the 1431 south side easement up near the fence to 174/Sam Bass. It's grass but easily doable  Then cross at light of through the storm drainage under 1431.  Side walks north to Wilco.

Either option works fine.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, the trails on the heatmap are pretty okay. I'd say there kind of like a not-very-much ridden Peddler's Pass before all the berm work started, or maybe like some of the SATN trals, but more overgrown. If I lived real close, I'd probably ride them a bit. I've been twice now as part of a much larger ride and for that purpose, they're pretty okay. 

• Like 1

I don't want to overstate it, the trails are very ridable. They just don't see the volume of use that a Walnut or Brushy sees, so that means more face-slappers and sticks on the ground. I assume the regulars who live nearby are doing whatever maintenance gets done. 

• Like 1

Yeah, last time I went out there in the summer they were pretty overgrown.  Probably not as bad in the winter, though.  I usually ride it on my cross bike when I'm up there.  Nice little section of trails to add in to a bigger road/gravel/singletrack ride.

• Like 1

I talked with the Wilco Parks staff about this park a few years back (see names Rugger posted on page 144 about the Brushy Creek 5-O closure thread).  I was told in no uncertain terms that Wilco wanted NO trails in that area. They said we could ride the existing double track becasue they already exist but no other areas. They wanted ZERO single track or new trails. I was told that Wilco was counting that area as preserve area (think Wilco version of BCP).

They were not interested in allowing the double track to be maintained either. (clearing face slappers and such).

In my opinion - making new trails, riding, Strava'ing, Trail Fork'ing etc in this area my endanger other trails in that area. Like Brushy Creek Singletrack (aka Deception). I suggest riding what we already enjoy and leaving this area alone. But I no longer have a stake in this area so it is somebody else's problem.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Finally rode a bit of it today. Granted it was after riding at SN and at a whim I decided to go north on Sam Bass instead of south to home. Currently most of the single track is very overgrown. 100% agree with everyone's descriptions above. I may go back one day and explore more of the east trails but in comparison, I like Behrens Ranch much better for mundane flat single track. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

The trick with Wilco and Behrens is being able to connect the two with SN and Brushy.

I did something like that picking up a buddy in Wells Branch and riding with another who rode to my house earlier this year. It's fun stitching together pockets of trail.  We rode a similar one that included some cave preserves near Anderson Mill on the way to Leander. too.

image.thumb.jpeg.1d548726b004edad4a16b5d1cecdc47a.jpeg

Edited by WhoAmI
  • Like 2