IGNORED

FREERIDE512 @ Christ Church Cedar Park

El Gringo

On 11/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, El Gringo said:

Pastor Paul Kemp and Executive Pastor David Keefe. They have been very generous and supportive in making this possible. You can find their email here: https://christ-church.com/about/our-team/

Thanks for reaching out to them in showing our gratitude. As you know, land access is our primary requirement for trail - especially in a city as crowded as City Park!

E-mail sent to Pastors Kemp and Keefe thanking them for allowing the use of the land for these trails.  Really cool stuff going on out there!

Thanks FR512 crew.  You guys rock.

Thanks Dale for working on the trails out there! Wish I had more free time to help out..

I got out there this past Sunday and the jump line is really cool and easy enough for a squid like myself to practice on. The 6ft drop is a little above my pay grade unless there is a plan to build a landing for it before the berm.

It was pretty sweet to ride from the YMCA, hit my favorite spots, ride to the church/SN and ride back to Brushy and end with nearly 24 miles. There were so many trails I wish I could have added in but didnt have the legs or time for it

23 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

E-mail sent to Pastors Kemp and Keefe thanking them for allowing the use of the land for these trails.  Really cool stuff going on out there!

Thanks FR512 crew.  You guys rock.

Thanks!! The pastors really do like hearing from the community, so your gratitude is appreciated!

2 hours ago, deadtokevin said:

Thanks Dale for working on the trails out there! Wish I had more free time to help out..

I got out there this past Sunday and the jump line is really cool and easy enough for a squid like myself to practice on. The 6ft drop is a little above my pay grade unless there is a plan to build a landing for it before the berm.

It was pretty sweet to ride from the YMCA, hit my favorite spots, ride to the church/SN and ride back to Brushy and end with nearly 24 miles. There were so many trails I wish I could have added in but didnt have the legs or time for it

The drop is 5 feet and we will put in a transition, as well as a 3 footer to allow folks to progress. Everything we build has a line to progression. We tend to build bigger stuff first, as we've learned it makes the smaller features more accessible. We have plans to put a smaller jump line to the left of the current one (Genesis). If anyone here has carpentry skills, we could definitely use help with cutting ramps. There's rumors of getting a machine soon, and if those are cut, we could get the line up quickly. So many plans . . .

OK - several of you have expressed interest in helping out. We're finally at a point where we can form a trail crew and give direction. Here's what we need:

1. Several 2x4 pieces cut at 1' for decking the skinnies on Narrow is the Way

2. 2x6 cuts at 3' 4" for bases for the skinnies

3. Any discarded fence posts you may have

Work day this Saturday @ 1PM to build transitions for the Drop Zone - if you have a wheelbarrow, PLEASE bring it.

We'll see what turn-out is like and go from there. The more hands on deck, the faster we'll have awesome stuff to ride!

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Kendra has already designed it. Just a matter of of resources/labor. a bunch of people here were calling for a work day and we scheduled it - one person showed up. We're out working every day and KOM has graciously lent their equipment and expertise for this weekend. But seriously, if you want this stuff within the near future, you're gonna have to help (as you've already offered). It's labor intensive!

30 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

Kendra has already designed it. Just a matter of of resources/labor. a bunch of people here were calling for a work day and we scheduled it - one person showed up. We're out working every day and KOM has graciously lent their equipment and expertise for this weekend. But seriously, if you want this stuff within the near future, you're gonna have to help (as you've already offered). It's labor intensive!

Thanks for this info. If any work is happening this Sunday afternoon, of any sort of trail, I’ll come out and you folks can put me to work!

53 minutes ago, jscottyk said:

Is there a best time for volunteers on Sunday? In a previous post about Sunday work, I think I saw 1PM.

53 minutes ago, jscottyk said:

Is there a best time for volunteers on Sunday? In a previous post about Sunday work, I think I saw 1PM.

Anytime after 11AM.  Thanks for your interest!

• Like 1

We had an awesome weekend. KOM came out and lent us a hand . . . No, two arms. For those of you who know about FR512, you know we've built our fair share of machine built trails/features. We know our way around machine built lines. Let me tell you, Brett took us to a new level. Seriously. We've never dug with KOM before, but we were impressed - very impressed. We've struggled with how rocky the ground is out there. Heck, all around here. He's developed a technique of tilling the ground with the teeth on the bucket that totally changed our game. The dirt on the jump line is awesome now. So happy. Hope to get both lines running within the next couple days. Apologies to the packs of riders who came through over the past few days, only to find the trails closed. We'll open them within the next couple of days - but beware of future closures, as we'll be expanding to try to grow into all the potential out there!  

AND a special shout-out to jscottyk - thank you so much for the work you put in. Grooming the lines the way you did really helped us reach our goal for the weekend.  THANK YOU, SCOTT!!

We'll try to share pictures, but between the updates to my iPhone, coupled with recent updates to Windows, that seems to be an impossibility at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is going to an awesome riding spot folks!

Ten thousand thanks to Dale and Kendra for making this happen. From the vision and coordination of all the parties involved, to the pure hard work to get it done. I look forward to seeing you guys out there next weekend. 

Edited by jscottyk

6 hours ago, The Tip said:

Looking at the pictures made me think of the ebike vs "real" bike discussions.

Is it a "real" mountain bike trail if it's built by machine?😉

Uh - Yes it is a "real" mountain bike trail if built by machines. Ever been to Angel Fire? Moab? Whistler?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

And . . . with the help of Mark (Radiantm . . . something, I forget) we got the jump lines running tonight. Still a bit rough, be careful, but rideable. Thanks, Mark!

3. 😁 I'm glad to help out when I can. I really appreciate the work you guys have put in so far and this place is going to be a complete gem. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cxagent said:

Uh - Yes it is a "real" mountain bike trail if built by machines. Ever been to Angel Fire? Moab? Whistler?

Good point, CX. I think folks see the machine and think it's done. We've done tons of trail both by hand with mcleods and with machines. I can honestly say digging with a machine is no less work - in fact, more. There's so much dirt moved that raking it, shaping (by hand) and refining what the machine dumped is much more exhausting than just digging a trail purely by hand. Add to that the stress to get as much done while the machine is on-site, and . . . well, we're already gassed half way through the weekend. It's all the same process - chainsaw work, shaping, designing, etc. They're all hand-built at the end of the day. Just different tools.

7 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

3. 😁 I'm glad to help out when I can. I really appreciate the work you guys have put in so far and this place is going to be a complete gem. 

Thank you so much for your help today! We're going to test the jumps tomorrow. They wouldn't be running without your effort!

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1