IGNORED

FREERIDE512 @ Christ Church Cedar Park

El Gringo

I have a GG Smash as well, And I’ve walked it on this feature to test and it’s just too long. I haven’t had a chance yet, but I’d guess my hardtail or old Felt full suspension could make it.....with the right rider. 

The Smash is a long bike. Mine drags on the ground sometimes when I put it on the lift at Spider Mtn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Browndog said:

The Smash is a long bike. Mine drags on the ground sometimes when I put it on the lift at Spider Mtn.

Yeah, it’s much longer than my other bikes. 

I did check it again today by walking it and it’s possible, but there’s a point that would require the front tire to be half on the boards and the rear half on at the same time. 

4 hours ago, El Gringo said:

It's tight, but totally doable. I've only fell off twice on a 27.5 Banshee Rune. I'd say 50% of the riders clear it. I've solicited feedback on widening that turn: some want to keep it for the challenge, some would like it widened. At present, I leaning toward widening a bit for the 29r guys who seem to be the ones who struggle with it the most. I'm currently cheating a bit, as I pretty much only riding my 26" slopestyle bike out there😎

I say keep it however you like it since it’s your feature and your hard work. I’ll take my 27.5 hardtail out there and I bet I’d be fine. 

5 hours ago, Browndog said:

My tire drags at spider mountain on the lift as well, at first I thought I was doing something wrong. Think I will be walking this section, looks super fun though.

7 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

is the skinny finished? i haven't been out there recently.

Not finished to where I wanted it, but complete enough to ride. I found out that although that's on the church's property, the Alamo complex has an easement for drainage - thus I'm not going to put in too much effort over there. Then again, I'm questioning whether it'll make sense to build another Alamo in this brave new world . . .

On 5/9/2020 at 11:17 AM, El Gringo said:

It's tight, but totally doable. I've only fell off twice on a 27.5 Banshee Rune. I'd say 50% of the riders clear it. I've solicited feedback on widening that turn: some want to keep it for the challenge, some would like it widened. At present, I leaning toward widening a bit for the 29r guys who seem to be the ones who struggle with it the most. I'm currently cheating a bit, as I pretty much only riding my 26" slopestyle bike out there😎

Instead of widening just because some of us on longer 29ers can't do it, perhaps just run a singletrack path off to the side(dare I say B line?) of the skinny and have a short ramp merge into the current feature right before the first small hump(00:27 mark in my video a few posts back) before the first banked curve? Or if you just like to build stuff, build a wider version to the side. 🙂

Either option would keep the challenge of the narrow path for the folks that like it while letting us schmucks on bigger bikes skip the narrow stuff yet still do the banked features and rollers at the end. I'm still going to try and fail the skinny portion but I already managed to bend a rotor on my new bike falling off it so how much I try it depends on how much stuff I break!

A side path/short ramp would be less work by not having to create a new, wider feature or pull up and lay down the current feature with wider pieces. I'll happily come help out with anything and can pick up some wood from Lowes or something. I don't think collisions would be a problem since it's such a small segment.

Or just leave it as is.

Edited by quixoft

So - We have a totally ambitious Eagle Scout who wants to do a project at the trails. This is great news. We're going to do something totally unique to Cedar Park: an intermediate slopestyle trail. For those of you who have been to our park at RHR, think Slingshot. Anyway, for all of you who have asked, :How can we help?" this is the time. He will be looking for donations, time, etc.  Any help to grow new trail would be appreciated.  Or do you want new trail?

• Like 5

On 5/16/2020 at 10:37 PM, mashmaster said:

As his dad, I will keep you informed as he has more details to share.

I can pitch in once you get everything set up. Maybe send out a shared google doc with what materials are needed and anyone can mark their name down as providing those materials? Possibly a gofundme/kickstarter campaign?

I can also help out with labor on weekends and in the evenings on weekdays if I have a couple days notice.

• Like 1

Is there a new virus (CHICOM-19) or was that some kind of weird auto-correct glitch?  Anyway, Fade to Black seems a bit higher than "intermediate", but I like the idea...

Sucks that you won't get to head up north this Summer, but Canada's loss is our gain!

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

And this to come. Probably the shortest trail in Whistler (it's really an offshoot from A-Line) but my FAVORITE! We just got notified that our typical summer in Whistler is off due to the border not reopening because of the CHICOM-19 virus. Guess we'll just have to build it here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSJkLxVKsBA

Holy smokes, that was crazy.

No, that's not intermediate. It's rated as a double-black in Whistler and I've seen at least one nasty injury on it. But honestly, like most of the bigger features, it's actually easy to ride if you just let go and go. Getting over your psychology is the biggest hurdle. I'm thinking about putting similar, but smaller, features on the intermediate line so folks can work their way up without being overly terrified.

• Like 4