IGNORED

FREERIDE512 @ Christ Church Cedar Park

El Gringo

Hello! I’m so exited to start working on my eagle project.

Today is the first work day!

We are planning on meeting at 1 pm at Christ church, cedar park 201 church park road, cedar park TX to begin the process of creating the most awesome bike trail ever!

I would love your help today short notice, yes, sorry!

Any help is appreciated

Bring chain saws, lopping shears, rakes, gloves, etc

Follow to tape!

See you soon!

Sincerely,
                     Zach Aronson

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

Anybody have advice on whether it'll be dry enough to ride out there later this afternoon?  I know we had 10-15 minutes of rain yesterday afternoon at my house, but it sounds like the showers were pretty spotty...

I would be shocked if it is not ok.   I live nearby, it was super brief showers.  

With that said, I wouldn't head that way to do the ramps.  I don't believe they finished the jump lines this weekend.  @El Gringo is the jump lines open?   

I can personally attest that the new drop section is good 🙂   I built a line to the new smaller drops that is pretty cool.   Big thanks to 512 crew for building the smaller drop sections.  It's going to help a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

From my son:

I am working on my Eagle Scout project which is building a new mountain biking trail behind my local church. I would love to get your support to help me complete this project. The information for the next workday on Sunday is in the first link.

https://tinyurl.com/yatoq8xv

I'll try to be out there. My Eagle Scout project was clearing trails and building 2 hiking bridges at Caesar Creek Lake State Park in Ohio. I guess it was a precursor to my career as I've worked on the 620 bridge, 1st street bridge, and a few projects at the airport when it was first under construction.

• Like 1

Reminder about the Eagle project on Sunday , Hope to see you there.
From my son:
I am working on my Eagle Scout project which is building a new mountain biking trail behind my local church. I would love to get your support to help me complete this project. The information for the next workday on Sunday is in the first link. https://tinyurl.com/yatoq8xv

I've never actually done real drops so decided I would try them this morning at Christ Church. I've rolled down some steeper stuff(the steep end of Mulligan and Basket Drop in Brushy) but have never really done actual drops of anything over about a foot or two. 

So I decided to ride Sub Ninja and do some practice on the small drops y'all have built. Don't think I did too bad if I do say so myself for my first few attempts. Some felt fairly smooth, others not so much. Any tips on body position? I was trying to work on dropping my heels but I don't seem to do it until right at or after the initial landing. Should I be further back on the bike and have the heels dropped before the landing? I felt pretty stiff but in the video I seem to use my legs and arms as shock absorbers fairly well. Only did a few as it was getting late and I had to get home for work but plan on more soon! 

Any tips are appreciated!

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 4

I'm certainly no expert (in fact yesterday was the first time I've ever hit the big drop there), but I think your form looks pretty good.  It doesn't look like you're trying to bunny-hop off the end, you are shifting your weight back a bit just as the front wheel goes off the lip, and you seem to be matching your wheels to the landing.  The one thing I noticed is that you seem like you are shifting your weight forward more on the bigger drop, which is leading to more of a front wheel heavy landing and resulting in that head snap.  Of course, some of the harshness at that spot (especially as you get bigger in size) is that the landing is relatively flat, especially if you get deeper into the transition.  All in all, I'd say just keep practicing.

• Like 1

Honestly, those look really good.   I went over to that spot yesterday.  Only did the small one (My friend and I built the trail that leads to the small ramp).  Biggest thing I noticed is the faster I seemed to go the easier it was on me and my bike.  If you go a little quicker you don't have to pull up or anything.  Your speed looked good though.

I've watched countless videos and this is the best one I've seen.  Actually echoes what @olddbrider was saying above.    

Very good bike drop tutorial

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, quixoft said:

I actually watched that last night and it's what inspired me to just go for it this morning. 

I am same way.  Pretty disappointed I didn't do the middle one.  I got to the end and almost killed myself trying to stop.  Would have been safer to send it.  Looks pretty safe with any type of speed at all.  Very cool doing that.

2 hours ago, quixoft said:

I've never actually done real drops so decided I would try them this morning at Christ Church. I've rolled down some steeper stuff(the steep end of Mulligan and Basket Drop in Brushy) but have never really done actual drops of anything over about a foot or two. 

So I decided to ride Sub Ninja and do some practice on the small drops y'all have built. Don't think I did too bad if I do say so myself for my first few attempts. Some felt fairly smooth, others not so much. Any tips on body position? I was trying to work on dropping my heels but I don't seem to do it until right at or after the initial landing. Should I be further back on the bike and have the heels dropped before the landing? I felt pretty stiff but in the video I seem to use my legs and arms as shock absorbers fairly well. Only did a few as it was getting late and I had to get home for work but plan on more soon! 

Any tips are appreciated!

Looks pretty good.

Just keep at it until it feels natural, like you're not even thinking about it.  Maybe wear some pads for when things don't go as planned. That looks like a great place to learn drops. Lucky to have it.

The natural drops like picnic etc can be tough for beginners because the runup is not straight and lips tend to form at the drop. Those lips can spell OTB disaster if you've gotten into a habit of weighting your rear wheel on drops.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

We hauled new dirt up to rehabilitate the first berm on Saturday and that pretty much gassed us. To help with maintenance going forward, if you're out there for sesh, watering the berms goes a long way to sustaining them. We are planning a day to train people on watering/sweeping for maintenance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

We hauled new dirt up to rehabilitate the first berm on Saturday and that pretty much gassed us. To help with maintenance going forward, if you're out there for sesh, watering the berms goes a long way to sustaining them. We are planning a day to train people on watering/sweeping for maintenance.

We were out there last Wednesday and putting a little water on the berms made a big difference.  It's not just good for the features, it makes it more fun to ride!  Some education would be good though, for sure.

• Like 2

Just now, olddbrider said:

Any insights into what you guys will be working on this week?  Seems like most of the corridor clearing has been done...  Mainly wondering what tools to bring/not bring.

A little more trail work based on feedback from Dale post hole digging, and setting posts into cement for some of the signs.

• Like 1