IGNORED

FREERIDE512 @ Christ Church Cedar Park

El Gringo

A neighbor cut down several ash junipers (aka cedars) in his yard.  I took a few 4-8ft lengths for my backyard.  I'm not 100% sure I can use them all, but he also has several longer 13-16ft straight trunks and some that are curved.  They would make good bridge spans or could be cut down for footings since they last forever in the ground.

• 1 month later...

I ran into Dale yesterday at the church jumps and he mentioned that there might be another work day for the new line on Saturday. He was working on a very cool feature at the beginning of the line...

Is this happening? If so, what time and what tools would be useful to bring? Dale mentioned the potential for doing some decking and if that's the case I can bring my drill and spare batteries.

15 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

I ran into Dale yesterday at the church jumps and he mentioned that there might be another work day for the new line on Saturday. He was working on a very cool feature at the beginning of the line...

Is this happening? If so, what time and what tools would be useful to bring? Dale mentioned the potential for doing some decking and if that's the case I can bring my drill and spare batteries.

There is from 10-12.  My son is directing hole digging, setting posts, and decking the new feature. The decking uses a T-25 bit.  He said here is the signup genius he made.  https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080B4AABAC2EA6FF2-zachs2

His future plan is to have more work days to deck the features as they are built.

The drop-in won't be ready to deck by tomorrow. Was hoping to finish it today, but the rain shut us down (judging by radar - if anyone is feet on dirt and it wasn't bad, let me know). Hoping to finish it tomorrow. I'd imagine post holes and signage will be the focus tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

The first feature on the new trail "Jonah and the Whale" at the church trails my son is building for his Eagle Project is decked. Dale is building the foundations of the features, he has been working hard on this.  It isn't ready to ride yet but it is coming along. There is still a need for money for wood for the other features so you can still donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/a5sz8-zach039s-eagle-scout-project?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp%20share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR0gzX8zbTOd93uxwMSOE1_1Z9lUvZp1z83T_-WpPrs0LHat9XIrPlr2xWI

1779544235_MVIMG_20200822_113442(1).thumb.jpg.5e4a589a04e7baa560bdcbccf9a148bb.jpgIMG_20200822_113745.thumb.jpg.7b52a8ca9b6967e80459671aef298a18.jpgIMG_20200822_113459.thumb.jpg.099550edc36bfcc7cb0f86ff18f6e080.jpgIMG_20200822_113514.thumb.jpg.60f52abe43e91a1cd0b74360826b518c.jpgIMG_20200822_113655.thumb.jpg.f8d2ca6b71950d3687c0a3c5a172d55d.jpgIMG_20200822_113857.thumb.jpg.0468d61abdc8072b215fa614828ae284.jpgIMG_20200822_113828.thumb.jpg.955ba00912b03dd7ad2dcab469eb4518.jpgIMG_20200821_184954.thumb.jpg.96034487d58132061b840733e16b4d7a.jpg

Edited by mashmaster
typos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We've been working hard not only against the heat, but against common sense. Evidently, people still need to learn not to ride wet trails:

The worst of it is that about 10 minutes after I took these pictures, 2 other riders sat at the top and decided to drop in. As they added to the carnage, I shouted, "the trails are too wet!" One of them replied, "I see that now." Seriously? You couldn't tell by all the ruts?

Over the next couple of hours, I had to turn several other riders away. Two riders showed up with a dog. To be clear, dogs are not allowed at the park for safety reasons. I turned them away, but could not prevent the dog from running onto the trail and adding yet more carnage.

Guys, some of us work really hard to provide trails. HELP OUT.

IMG_2048.JPG

Trail 3.jpg

Trail 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I want to believe that for every turd that messes up a trail like this there exists 10 riders that love and appreciate every square inch of the trails these builders create. Eventually, I think that even the most dense idiot will figure out that they are damaging something that they didn’t create and that’s not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Zach asked me to send this out. "The material prices and amounts are much higher than were initially estimated. Can you please help me by donating so we can afford the needed materials to complete the project. It is coming along great as you can see from the pictures. The trail has been cleared, signed posted, and the first feature is complete. This weekend the second feature will be complete but there are three more features left to complete." https://www.gofundme.com/f/a5sz8-zach039s-eagle-scout-project?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR0gzX8zbTOd93uxwMSOE1_1Z9lUvZp1z83T_-WpPrs0LHat9XIrPlr2xWI

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't seen anything about work days posted lately, but there is still some work being done out there. The launch pad and first jump look to be complete and there's now a pretty scary looking ramp with a dirt landing right after that. I'd call myself an intermediate jumper - comfortable with all the jumps and drops at the church - but that second feature scares me. It's all still closed to riding as far as I know...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

I haven't seen anything about work days posted lately, but there is still some work being done out there. The launch pad and first jump look to be complete and there's now a pretty scary looking ramp with a dirt landing right after that. I'd call myself an intermediate jumper - comfortable with all the jumps and drops at the church - but that second feature scares me. It's all still closed to riding as far as I know...

Look for work days coming soon, might be one for the new return trail this weekend.  It depends on getting some scout paperwork completed.  Dale and his son have been moving the dirt for the landing.  

• 1 year later...

A little discussion and video of this jump over on Facebook Austin Mountain Biking.    If there are any plans (especially in the fall when we get some rain) to work on these, I'd be down to come out.  The landing would benefit from being taller and moved (or just added to) like 4 feet further away from the ladder launch. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/austinmountainbiking/posts/2021066348102195/

Church_ladder jump Feb 2021.jpg

• Like 1

The main guy that does the building in this area is named Dale, I believe. He was affiliated with FR512 in the past. I also know that most summers he migrated to cooler climes. With Covid and travel restrictions, I'm not sure if that was true this summer. I haven't seen any work being done on this lately, but maybe once it cools off a bit they'll get back to finishing this line.

@cmc4130  @olddbrider Dale has handed off and we'll be moving forward with building at the FR512CHURCH location once the weather isn't 106 and I'm working with the church pastor on next steps with the area. Brad with 512 stops in to maintain and check in on the features. Please send me a DM if you're looking to make modifications to a feature.  

Edited by stepneo
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 2:08 PM, stepneo said:

@cmc4130  @olddbrider Dale has handed off and we'll be moving forward with building at the FR512CHURCH location once the weather isn't 106 and I'm working with the church pastor on next steps with the area. Brad with 512 stops in to maintain and check in on the features. Please send me a DM if you're looking to make modifications to a feature.  

Did Dale move?