IGNORED

What is Gravel Biking?

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

If i have SLX calipers already, is it possible to use road\gravel levers with the SLX calipers?

Pretty sure it should work fine with a set is Shimano hoods/levers. Make sure the hydraulic cable is the same diameter, but other than that I don’t know why not. They function the same. 

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 2

Excuse my ignorance here but never needed to know this before and I've spent hours looking.

I have a Rock Shox Reba 100 MM fork. I am leaning toward this stem PNW Coast stem and bars , https://www.pnwcomponents.com/products/coast-stem   ,  but not entirely sure if this will fit the fork. I am thinking that the steerer tubes are a standard size so pretty much any stem will fit ??

Then I just need to score the levers and hoods for brakes .. thanks.

53 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Excuse my ignorance here but never needed to know this before and I've spent hours looking.

I have a Rock Shox Reba 100 MM fork. I am leaning toward this stem PNW Coast stem and bars , https://www.pnwcomponents.com/products/coast-stem   ,  but not entirely sure if this will fit the fork. I am thinking that the steerer tubes are a standard size so pretty much any stem will fit ??

Then I just need to score the levers and hoods for brakes .. thanks.

As far as I understand, the steerer tube will be 1-1/8 straight or 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 tapered. Either one leaves your stem grabbing onto 1-1/8. So yes, I think any stem will fit including that PNW you linked. 

• Like 1

Dang. Had no idea levers for dropbars were so money.
My setup is simple. Single speed so no shifting. I dont do droppers so that's not needed. I want to use my SLX calipers so just need levers that are compatible.
Been looking at the GRX 600s from Shimano .. but damn they are pricey for levers.
I do have Sram calipers in my bin so maybe I'll look at what Sram offers. I'm totally open to suggestions ideas or ridicule.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

My setup is simple. Single speed so no shifting. I dont do droppers so that's not needed. I want to use my SLX calipers so just need levers that are compatible.
Been looking at the GRX 600s from Shimano .. but damn they are pricey for levers.
I do have Sram calipers in my bin so maybe I'll look at what Sram offers. I'm totally open to suggestions ideas or ridicule.

Yeah...there's really no inexpensive way to get where you want to go.

8 hours ago, Cafeend said:

As I recall, Trp makes just drop hydraulic levers that would work with SS

Edited by ATXZJ

9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I haven't priced anything, but you may be better off with mechanical brakes. SS hydraulic road levers are pretty new and niche, but cable pull has been around forever. Yeah, yeah...performance and all, but you not going to take this bike to Spider MTN or anything.

• Like 1

Found em. It's the Hylex RS, and i've read TRP will sell the levers separately if you contact them. As far as compatibility, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the master can provide enough volume for the piston in your existing caliper it'll work fine. Most levers will work with any caliper just the modulation will be different based on master/caliper size ratios,  but on gravel bike that really shouldn't be a huge issue.  We've run Saint 4 piston calipers with XTR levers and they work great.

https://trpcycling.com/product/hylex-rs/

If all else, you can always find a set of Spyre SLC on the cheap 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

So if anything I am learning more -- about the R word and gravel bikes

I keep coming across levers \ shifters sold left and right. I think I figured out that left is for brakes, while the right side is brakes & shifting , am I correct?

Most road/gravel sets still have multiple chainrings so both are usually for brakes and shifting, with two to four (Triple use 2 index points for the middle ring) index points for the chainring shifter and 9-12 for the rear.

I looked for brake only left levers to see if I could make my gravel bike 1x but I didn’t see a lot of them and they wouldn’t match.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cafeend said:

So if anything I am learning more -- about the R word and gravel bikes

I keep coming across levers \ shifters sold left and right. I think I figured out that left is for brakes, while the right side is brakes & shifting , am I correct?

That is correct for my 1x Apex setups. Left hand is just a brake lever (Apex hydraulic on one, Apex/TRP mechanical on the other) and the right hand is brake and rear shifting. 

Check out pink bikes road/gravel for sale section. Lots of good prices on parts there. 

• Like 3

Think the stem rise will work for you?  Typically use a high rise stem to allow for riding the drops.
Looks fun except for the lack of gears.

Looks fun and the lack of gears makes it even MORE fun and less hassle. Ride that beast and put it up wet and it will always be ready to rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Think the stem rise will work for you?  Typically use a high rise stem to allow for riding the drops.
Looks fun except for the lack of gears.
It is a Mt Bike with drops that are wide. I ride a short stem anyways. If it is too janky then I can swap her to something longer. (TWSS)

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

It is a Mt Bike with drops that are wide. I ride a short stem anyways. If it is too janky then I can swap her to something longer. (TWSS)

Let me know what you end up doing with it.

I had a fear of commitment and stuck with flat bars and bar ends.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, June Bug said:

This may be of use and I'll cross post in the Technical/Maintenance section. 

From bikepacking.com   Mullet Drive Trains: Pairing Road Shifters with Mountain Bike Derailleurs and Cassettes

Thanks JB for that site.   I think you linked it previously and even though thats not my thing per se , the site is pretty cool to read through. Great info in general. Thanks!