IGNORED

What is Gravel Biking?

43 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Mullet Drive Trains: Pairing Road Shifters with Mountain Bike Derailleurs and Cassettes

Yeah, I did this about 2 years ago! I married a 105 shifter to an XT derailer with a Wolftooth Tanpan. It works exactly as advertised. At the time I did it for stable uniformity. We have 5 bikes with an XT rear derailer, and we always keep a new derailer on the shelf. That's a lot  backups. 

The only small annoyance is that it gets in the way of the rear rack mount, so I just have to shift down to loosen the cable an pop the Tanpan out to install or remove a rear rack. Next time I do a cable change, I may try moving the Tanpan upstream slightly, at next up cable boss. 

image.thumb.png.acee1ed18f7b58dd06920ee737c7d1fa.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry said:

Yeah, I did this about 2 years ago! I married a 105 shifter to an XT derailer with a Wolftooth Tanpan. It works exactly as advertised. At the time I did it for stable uniformity. We have 5 bikes with an XT rear derailer, and we always keep a new derailer on the shelf. That's a lot  backups. 

The only small annoyance is that it gets in the way of the rear rack mount, so I just have to shift down to loosen the cable an pop the Tanpan out to install or remove a rear rack. Next time I do a cable change, I may try moving the Tanpan upstream slightly, at next up cable boss. 

image.png.2783c70febc00d4bcd96e10a2c175b9f.png

Barry--What is that squareish thing on the downtube? 

18 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Marin bringing a new gravel contender to the market with a progressive carbon rig complete with dropper. Might be worth picking one up from jenson when they hit the 30% sale rack. 

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-headlands-2

20_HS_2_gallery.jpg

I’ve never owned a Marin bike, but they’re doing some nice things all over the spectrum. Anyone here have experience with them? Wonder how the quality and workmanship is. 

Got my Ventana setup with the drops. New stem and brakes and levers. I left her 32x17. Ordered new Ikons but they arent in yet.

Thanks for the suggestions and education.
Took her out this AM early and did my usual at Brushy around sunrise ride. Iwas so excited I forgot my pack in the fridge but rode anyways. Called it at 9.x miles since my saddle came loose and I didnt have my tool with me.
Drops are so different and coupled with a 17t cog made little punchy climbs I normally dont think about into walkers.

She is gonna keep being a fun ride.
f243d7cf38f2ef9ff8fbc85fc7143101.jpg77e48c10cbe6e47c5e2e916377af48ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Got my Ventana setup with the drops. New stem and brakes and levers. I left her 32x17. Ordered new Ikons but they arent in yet.

Took her out this AM early and did my usual at Brushy around sunrise ride. Iwas so excited I forgot my pack in the fridge but rode anyways. Called it at 9.x miles since my saddle came loose and I didnt have my tool with me.
Drops are so different and coupled with a 17t cog made little punchy climbs I normally dont think about into walkers.

Nice! Going to be a fun steed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

I like it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I saw you coming out of Dave's Ditch and around the trail this morning.  Noticed you didn't have water and just assumed you were a badass who can ride a gravel bike on Brushy Creek trails without any water.  

I saw you coming out of Dave's Ditch and around the trail this morning.  Noticed you didn't have water and just assumed you were a badass who can ride a gravel bike on Brushy Creek trails without any water.  
Fine line between bad ass and dumb ass. I skew toward dumb ass.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let me know what you end up doing with it.

I had a fear of commitment and stuck with flat bars and bar ends.

@ St.Bernardo

I did 3 rides this past weekend on this new setup. I had this frame since 11/2015 . So it is very different now that I changed. I'm very happy and think it was a good move. I did the 60MM stem and gravel specific wide bars from PNW. New calipers , TRP Spyre SLC. And TRP RRL levers. The levers are brake only since the drivetrain is SS. New rubber is coming this week. But yea.. she is alot of fun to ride and not too much coin to swap. I can also remove the calipers and cockpit and swap back to flat bars and my Mt brakes if I so choose.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.

How did it handle in the tight twisty stuff with the drops?

I rode 1/4 to Rim to YMCA and back then over to PP.

Last night rode SN and Church down to Gumdrop and then to Gnargasm then to PP and then back.

Tight and twisty was fine. Drops like Gumdrop made me nervous but that's due to the tires, which I am replacing on Wed. I actually liked this setup better than with flat and wide bars.

But yes the trails were fine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

If you every think of going with front suspension, those Lauf forks would fit right in.

Since I plan to ride this on trail about as often as I ride it on gravel or road, and since my wrists hurt quite bit when I ride a rigid fork, I certainly have looked at it. Indeed, I even closely considered the Lauf True Grit bike instead. But in the end the CH was just a better fit for my geo preferences. 

And as it stands, I don't think there is a fork on the market compatible with the CH because it was designed with peculiar rake and AC numbers. But if I decide I must go that route eventually, I'll end up playing with an online geometry calculator to find what the advantages and trade-offs will be.  But according to EVIL: 

The Chamois Hagar features a custom fork with Evil's custom 56mm offset and 423 mm axle to crown. [...] The Chamois Hagar is not compatible with suspension forks on the marke given the custom offset and axle to crown on the Chamois Hagar.

But I still need a solution for smoothing out the ride when I'm on trail. And that's where the 700/50mm tires come in. And I grabbed a pair of the smallest HuckNorris. So while that means this bike has 2 celebrity puns, it also means I can run quite low pressures when I want without fear of pinch flatting or dinging my rims. And the ENVY carbon 46CM/60CM drop bar should also help smooth things out, based on its reviews. 

• Like 1