IGNORED

What is Gravel Biking?

18 hours ago, June Bug said:

By Pam LeBlanc for Texas Monthly

Texas Cyclists Are Discovering the Joys of Gravel Grinding    Why many are exchanging paved roads and traffic for rural routes and breathtaking scenery.

I think you meant to share this link: https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190508/the-pros-mix-with-joes-why-central-texas-cyclists-like-gravel-grinding

22 hours ago, June Bug said:

Or a trip report! 

We're going to do a  Western Spirit tour in the Grand Staircase-Escalante area. There's no technical riding; it's all on dirt roads, although the last day will have some rough two-track.  We'll be riding mountain bikes. 

That is the exact trip I just did except on gravel bikes. I had my single speed with 38 mm tires. On the descents I wished I had my mtb.  This was my 9th Western Spirit trip so I can highly recommend them.

The gravel trip is identical to the mtb trip. Day 1 travel to the lodge.

Day 2 is all pavement and a massive 14% descent to the falls. Felt like the TdF with curvy roads. You have the option to ride back or shuttle.

The waterfall is well worth the 3 mile hike.

Day 3 is more pavement with a short slot canyon hike in the middle. Amazing scenery.

Day 4 is all dirt roads. A little climbing and some great descending. It'll be better on an mtb.

Day 5 is a mix of pavement and dirt. The switchbacks are a 1200' descent on dirt. The turns are pretty wide and flat as this is a dirt road so the descending is straight. Did I mention amazing views?

Day 6 is 8 miles on dirt roads and finishes with an 8 mile descent towards Lake Powell.

Feel free to ask me any specifics about the trip.

20200919_095214.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the amazing pix!  I've never heard a bad word about Western Spirit. I'm alternately excited/nervous, though.   Excited about the trip, flipping out about travelling during the pandemic (we're driving).  As of last week, there was only one other person on the trip; with Crusty and me that's three guests total.   Even if that person cancels, the trip is still going. 

Also, nervous about the weather -- could be perfect or damn cold, at least at night. We're well prepared to stay warm, but still, it will be October at 5,000' and getting dark early.  

Did  you fly into Grand Junction? Drive?  How was the camping scene on the three nights out?   Were there any days with a lot of climbing?  How big a duffel did you take for all of your clothes and bike gear?  I'm getting 2 rolling duffles for us this week. 

Now I'm considering putting some big tires back on my ti 29er (rigid fork) repurposed as a commuter, rather than taking a full suspension mountain bike.  

Any words of wisdom or other useful info are appreciated. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

We drove. I'd say once you get past Sweetwater, masks were 50/50. Moab was strangely packed. Moab Brewery has tasty food and beer.

Make sure you have hotel reservations already. We got ours 2 weeks out and by the time we arrived things were sold out.

I brought a large duffle and had my camping gear in a large bag. Remember to bring a pillow! Also, bring Tylenol PM or similar as that'll help you sleep in the tent. The camping was fine. You'll get used to the groover. You'll have to wait and see what that is 😁

I rode my single speed. With that, there were no big climbs.

On the way back from the waterfalls, I did cheat and get shuttled to the top of the 14% hill. All other hills were rideable.

If you get Wes and Matt for guides they are awesome. They also like beer and whiskey so bring extra if you imbibe.

You don't need full squish on this ride. 

Don't stress about the weather. Worst case is overnight lows in the 50s and daytime highs in the 70s.

Bring cash for tops. $80-$100/guide. They earn their money.

Most important tip: relax and enjoy yourself. No cell. No internet. Just great riding, scenery, food, and commaraderie. 

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 3

Thanks for all that!   I'm well familiar with the communal groover from many river trips.  If indeed there are only three of us guests, it should be not too awful.  That said, it's a really bizarre aspect of getting to know people. 

Bringing cell phone and a back up battery for the camera. 

Memory foam pillows are on the packing list!  

We're meeting the tour in Hanksville, so we'll miss out on both the bad (traffic jams!) and good (it's Moab!) crazy, but the drive from Mexican Hat to Hanksville via Hite should be epic, scenery wise. 

Off to print up the packing checklist! 

On 8/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, Barry said:

I have 2 drop bar bikes with a drop posts. My fat bike (FattyFattyDropDrop) has a drop bar with with a PNW lever inside the left drop. You can put on the bar as well, but I never ride technical terrain on the hood--only in the drops. So it's where I need it.

image.png.e8af2d2c2214cf4129a14ad18926489a.png

But my Chamois Hagar has the best solution. It has a GRX 1x drivetrain and the 160mm BikeYoke post is actuated by the front/left "shift" lever. It's glorious! 

That looks like the creek in my neighborhood - I think I recognize the debris.

I picked up a Specialized Diverge a couple years back to just to try and keep fit. I ended up really enjoying riding it. The 1x set up is perfect for the riding I do on it. I took it with me to Rotterdam and it was perfect for exploring Dutch countryside. I put the largest tires I could fit, 28mm I think. This really improved the comfort level. I rode a friends road bike and it was bone jarring...so different! 

If I rode somewhere with serious climbs I might rethink the drivetrain.

I really like the look of the Niner RLT Steel. If I was in the market I would give it serious consideration.

W

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gravel compatible event -- free, grassroots: 

2021 EAST TEXAS SHOWDOWN  Oct. 1, 2021

"This route takes you through two large swatches of public land, the Sam Houston National Forest and The Davy Crockett National Forest. Roads are all publicly maintained mostly County or Park roads that are either paved or gravel. There’s one section that may be hike a bike if it rains too much, but other than that, expect it to be 100% rideable.

The main route is 388 miles, 12,710 ft. elevation, 50% gravel, 50% pavement as it currently sits, but could change some before race day. There is also a shorter 290-mile SLOWdown route option for those looking to slow things down and pet all the friendly doggies.

This race will follow the rules and ethos of other ultra endurance self supported races like the Tour Divide."

Edit: had forgotten there's a races/events section, so this is now cross posted there as well

Edited by June Bug