IGNORED

What is Gravel Biking?

• 3 weeks later...

We had scheduled a mountain bike tour in south central Utah with Western Spirit, starting May 4.  I called to change to Fall 2020, due to the unsettled corona virus situation.  As I was talking to the rep on the phone, I noted a date on their website for late Sept, and said I'd like to do that, rather than the Oct 12 date. 

Rep: "That's just for gravel bikes."   

Me: "Oh." 

Edited by June Bug

Sweet Jebus, it really is a thing

GRAVEL JOSHUA LADY SHORT SLEEVE JERSEY 

Breathable, comfortable and durable fabrics selected to thrive through the long and demanding off-road miles. The ultralight mesh at the back improves ventilation.  Reinforced and abrasion-resistant inserts on the shoulders protect from backpacks and other bags. Numerous back pockets allow storage for clothing, tools, snacks and everything you need for your adventure .

No idea what "other bags" might refer to. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Odds are, after corona, that company will probably be DOA . 

The clothing company?  There are a ton of them advertising on facebook.  They can't all survive. 

Or did you mean the tour company Western Spirit?  They've been around for quite awhile and I think can survive this. They're based in Moab.  

They have a covid-19 plan posted on their web site now: westernspirit.com/covid-19/

As of now, they've cancelled all trips with a departure date prior to April 18.  Everything after that is still a go, pending whatever the heck happens next.  We rescheduled from May 4 start date to October 10. 

Edited by June Bug

15 hours ago, Dan said:

I’ve been mountain biking 2x a week since September. Thinking about getting a gravel bike for wet days. Should I get a Salsa Journeyman Apex 1 700? Or something else?

I have the salsa journeyman Apex 1. 

I did a ton of research last year before I bought it to figure out what would be the best do it all gravel bike that I can ride the the brewery, do some gravel races on, and even bike pack, all for the best price, and now with over 1,500 miles on it I still think I made the right decision (with 1 change). 

It’s pretty light at 24 pounds, plenty of bottle and 3 pack mounts (bike packing), carbon fork, super comfortable and stable geometry, apex 1 is solid, trp brakes are good for what they are. Overall no issues at all, but I would do the 650b version over the 700c. 

After I bought mine I bought my fiancé the pink 650b version and I must admit the 650b setup is so much more fun to ride than the 700c. I don’t find I lose any speed, it’s more nimble, even more stable,  and just a ton of fun to ride. 

I’m 5’9 on a size 54, so take that for what it’s worth. If you’re 6’2 on a 59 I doubt a 650b is a good idea but maybe that’s your jam. I recommend at a minimum riding both wheel sizes though. 

I’m running 700x43s right now with huge clearance and consider going 700x50s, but it may be overkill. 

0CF6C81F-845B-4045-A140-81FE3B0EBFAC.jpeg

AA0237C6-1A89-47BD-A084-EB54BC0353E1.jpeg

6B29991F-8328-462D-8370-45C633D6F720.jpeg

9ED12C0F-0F9A-41F9-B846-8763C180F27B.jpeg

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

I have the salsa journeyman Apex 1. 

I did a ton of research last year before I bought it to figure out what would be the best do it all gravel bike that I can ride the the brewery, do some gravel races on, and even bike pack, all for the best price, and now with over 1,500 miles on it I still think I made the right decision (with 1 change). 

It’s pretty light at 24 pounds, plenty of bottle and 3 pack mounts (bike packing), carbon fork, super comfortable and stable geometry, apex 1 is solid, trp brakes are good for what they are. Overall no issues at all, but I would do the 650b version over the 700c. 

Are those the Spyres? I have those on my Private Jake they work fine but they do need constant adjustment as the pads wear. Wondering if better pads might help.

I also have a Salsa Journeyman Apex 1. I’m primarily a mountain biker, and decided to get the journeyman to have a bike to ride when trails are wet, to dabble into the bikepacking scene, do some gravel races with, and to ride the MS 150 with (MS 150 ended up getting canceled this year thanks to Covid19).

I must admit, I’ve had a lot more fun with it than I was expecting. I have the 650b wheels and it’s awesome for mixed surface paths, gravel, and mellow single track. Used it for a 65 mile gravel grinder and had a great time. Excited to do some true bikepacking once the pandemic is over. I’ve also found that the extra miles I have put on the journeyman have helped with my MTB fitness.

I mainly got it bc that’s what my LBS has in stock (Georgetown  Cyclewerx - Paul is the coolest dude in the business) but I also think Salsa is a sweet brand. Very happy with the choice. Price was definitely right.

E7508CED-44D1-4008-90B9-C6E66B0865E4.jpeg

EDAC9C0F-4328-4A90-9F58-69CE06EAFB40.jpeg

Edited by BRAZOS1845
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Chief said:

Are those the Spyres? I have those on my Private Jake they work fine but they do need constant adjustment as the pads wear. Wondering if better pads might help.

Yea, these are the Spyres. I’ve adjusted twice since buying, just because the wear, but nothing surprising. I think that’s just the nature of mechanical brakes. I imagine better pads would help by prolonging wear. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRAZOS1845 said:

I also have a Salsa Journeyman Apex 1. I’m primarily a mountain biker, and decided to get the journeyman to have a bike to ride when trails are wet, to dabble into the bikepacking scene, do some gravel races with, and to ride the MS 150 with (MS 150 ended up getting canceled this year thanks to Covid19).

I must admit, I’ve had a lot more fun with it than I was expecting. I have the 650b wheels and it’s awesome for mixed surface paths, gravel, and mellow single track. Used it for a 65 gravel grinder and had a great time. Excited to do some true bikepacking soon once the pandemic is over with. 

I mainly got it bc that’s what my LBS has in stock (Georgetown  Cyclewerx - Paul is the coolest dude in the business) but I also think Salsa is a sweet brand. Very happy with the choice. Price was definitely right.

E7508CED-44D1-4008-90B9-C6E66B0865E4.jpeg

EDAC9C0F-4328-4A90-9F58-69CE06EAFB40.jpeg

Sweet ride! Jealous of the yellow 650b. If you’re ever wanting to swap out for a 700c wheel set keep me posted! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Gravel bikes = drop bars, which makes me sad.  Still ride my road bike a little, but for several reasons, prefer/need a flat handle bar.  

Built a flatbar gravel/cross bike and really regretted not doing drops on it. Next one will have drops but more progressive geo to add some stability.

IMG_20180823_120119590.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

45 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Gravel bikes = drop bars, which makes me sad.  Still ride my road bike a little, but for several reasons, prefer/need a flat handle bar.  

You can actually get the Salsa Journeyman specified with flat bars. There are options out there for you!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Built a flatbar gravel/cross bike and really regretted not doing drops on it. Next one will have drops but more progressive geo to add some stability.

IMG_20180823_120119590.jpg

Looks different right now. This is before I added the Kickr.

wahoo-1.thumb.jpg.d9f10c7ca5f33944198b16539669606d.jpg

• Like 1