IGNORED

PSA: If you have a tankless water heater...

AustinBike

You need to flush them once every other year. I was amazed at how many people were unaware of this, I didn't know it until well after I installed it (but within the 2 year window.)

A plumber will charge you $150 to do it, but you can get a kit for $130 on Amazon and then in the future it is ~$30 per flush because the kit only comes with one bottle of flush fluid.

Took about an hour with about 5 minutes of actual labor, the rest of the time was spent letting the pump cycle the fluid through the heater.

If you want to borrow a kit, you can use mine as I will not need it for another 2 years 😉

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4907.jpeg

IMG_4908.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah, I like the tankless a LOT more than the old systems. Especially when you have guests or you are trying to take a shower while someone is trying to do laundry.

Initially I thought they were maintenance free, then learned about the flushing procedure. I thought somehow it had escaped me and then just about everyone I have talked to in the past week was also unaware that there is regular maintenance.

The subject preview for this stopped at "tankles" so I thought this thread was about those of us with hardware in our ankles (like cankles, but tankles= tank + ankles).  I have a left tankle.

I don't know about tankless water heaters, but my fairly expensive espresso machine warns against usual coffee cleaning methods and even against using water softener water for fear of actually eroding the metal in the boilers.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not all tankless water heaters are created equal.

Consider the SioGreen. I have these in the house and in my van. It heats the water using Quartz Infrared that does not result in the deposits found in many other water heaters. Particularly other electric water heaters. These are electric rather than gas, so may not be a good fit for all applications.

https://www.siogreenusa.com/

Good pricing on Amazon.