IGNORED

Walmart MTB Shoes???

RidingAgain

Can't say I have experience with them, but someone on my FB feed started a thread about it and after riding around the neighborhood his first impression was that they felt better than the skate shoes he's been using. Said the sole is firmer and the toe protection is good. And the sole is anti-slip... Don't know if that helps. Just $28 online. The first link is to the shoe he bought... The second link is to another one that looks a little better.

Now I know we're not talking 510 here... But if it works for basic trail riding it's an inexpensive way to go flats.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tredsafe-Men-s-Hooper-Slip-Resistant-Athletic-Shoes/819116388

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tredsafe-Men-s-Nitro-Slip-Resistant-Shoe/193372659

Edited by RidingAgain

I've used shoes like this for food service jobs. They don't slip on tile floors and other hard, slippery surfaces. That's not the same thing as not shredding and slipping on spikey pedals.

The reason why Five Tens stick so we'll is that they have a tough material in the sole that is soft enough for pedals to dig in but resist tearing. I've shredded some sneakers on mtb pedals (I bought some Giro Jackets and they were useless after fewer than a dozen rides) and Five Tens last much, much longer. Inexpensive short term, expensive long term.

Those food service shoes might be cheap enough to be worth an experiment, but I would not expect much. My experience tells me that most riders will go through several pairs of cheap shoes in the time that a single pair of Five Tens would last, making cheap shoes a poor value and create a lot of waste to boot.

Edited by mack_turtle

From what I've heard the newer five tens aren't as durable as the older pre Adidas ones. I recently picked up a pair of Ride Concepts Livewires and like them a lot. They grip as well as five tens but are much more comfortable and they have an elastic lace retainer which is really nice to keep the laces tucked away. Got them at Jenson w/20% off for $80 shipped.

• Like 1