IGNORED

If you haven't been to Cameron Park lately....

AustinBike

On 11/16/2019 at 5:07 PM, Cafeend said:

Do you have a write up on your site?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the write up is old, I need to add some new details. Have a ton of updates but I have been too busy with work and classes so web stuff takes the back burner. Plus, need to go back for some pics, didn’t take any because we were in a group and things were moving along quickly. 

2 hours ago, Bart said:

Seems so long ago when there was a NORBA National there and we had huge fields at all the TMBRA races. Fun times.

I was looking at AB's starting place down by the zoo.  I was just thinking the only times I've ridden there we started at the big lot by lover's leap on the other end and it was freshly marked for the race.  That last climb back out was always a real SOB since it was at the end!

6 hours ago, Leafkiller said:

Love Cameron Park but I may be a little biased since I live fifteen minutes away from it. It has some very good trails. My favorite is Act of Faith. There are some difficult ones like California 56. I don't know how anyone can ride that one. I had issues just hiking it.

We rode Cal 56, but we were following a local who was set on torturing us.

4 hours ago, WatersPark said:

I haven't yet made it up Highlander without a stop, but it is a sweet ride, Powder Monkey is my favorite section.  Worth the drive from Austin!  I've only ridden on weekdays so I'm not sure how crowded it is on the weekend, but weekday evenings haven't been crowded at all.

We were there on a Saturday and saw only a handful of riders. Although it was pretty cold. 

Might be doing a midweek ride up there in early December if anyone is interested in tagging along. 

Weekdays are better and later in the mornings are even better. It just depends on where you start. The river trail is sometimes crowded with runners, joggers, and other cyclists.

We've been getting rain here and there lately so while most of the trails dry quickly leaves and algae covered rocks are slippery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ok, I think I rode part of this bike park last time I was there March 2019, I ran into another visitor who had been riding with some locals who showed him the park.  I recall seeing signs for "the Ranch" which as the link below explains is private property directly adjacent to the city owned park, but open to the public (and free!) As AustinBike posted it looks like they have added a lot of features.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wacotrib.com/business/wild-wheels-mountain-bike-course-gains-fans-among-daredevils-novices/article_cadedf92-d885-57db-a42a-27752ec23b49.amp.html

Very impressive!

If my memory (and ridewithgps) serves this is up in the highlands well away from the river, off Powder Monkey.  Cheers!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:26 PM, AustinBike said:

We were there on a Saturday and saw only a handful of riders. Although it was pretty cold. 

Might be doing a midweek ride up there in early December if anyone is interested in tagging along. 

I’d be interested. Post up when you plan on going.