IGNORED

CYBRTRK

Ridenfool

I don't understand. Tesla's other cars have been decent looking especially when compared to other electric vehicles, who seem to have a history of looking different for no reason; which I think has contributed to a slow adoption rate by consumers. The model S, X and 3 have all been "normal" enough for the masses. Cybertruck on the other hand is terrible or is it... GENIUS! I think they realized who was going to be buying an e-pickup. It's the kind of person who already has a Range Rover that's never even touched a dirt road, much less any true work. They're going to sell a bunch around Austin...

Watching the reveal was pretty cool. They hit the door with a sledge hammer with no dents after using it on a standard pickup door. The Stainless Steel is the same alloy they will use on Starship.

The glass is pretty tough too. Though after demonstrating this on an example panel the demo backfired a little when they threw a steel ball at the window on the vehicle and cracked it. To the Armor Glass' credit it didn't go through the glass, and that was still impressive, considering the force being applied.

Like other Tesla vehicles it seems well thought out and full of interesting features, like a built-in auto-retracting bed cover, loading ramp that extends from within the tailgate, 110 and 220 v outlets, seats six comfortably, oh, and it is bulletproof.

I want one, but I'm a little weird like that.

Edited by Ridenfool

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

The Venn diagram for "pickup truck buyers" and "Tesla buyers" really does not cross much. The best evidence is the shatterproof windows. Is this REALLY an issue for pickups? Made no sense to me to tout that (or even design it in.) The live demo proved my point.

In a work truck, HELL YES, shatterproof glass would be a hell of an improvement on the rear glass.  A shifting load or some yahoo not tying down a piece of equipment has broken many rear windows.  A common one around where I grew up was someone loading a 4 wheeler backwards and having the rack slam into the glass and shatter it. 

On a nancy boi truck it may not be as common, but then again that user group may not know enough to tie stuff down properly to keep it from moving around and shattering the rear window.  

• Like 1

I've been a hot hatch/wagon owner/driver forever.  I love the S.  It's very cool but it's a bit big.  I don't like the 3.  I've always said the first company that has an electric truck (for the utility part of it) or hot hatch/wagon may get my business.  VW's Vizzion wagon looks very cool.  This truck is growing on me.  From the side it kind of looks a bit like the outline of a Baja/Stadium truck (from the front it's fugly).  I am sure the $40k version will not have the bulletproof features or stainless steel body and I'm fine with that.

As far as the truck/electric car Venn diagram, I disagree.  I think many people that occasionally need a truck don't get one b/c it's not worth it for fuel economy reasons. But if you have an e-truck option then that may open it up as your only vehicle.

The armor glass was developed for the Tesla Semi. It seems that broken windshields are an ongoing issue for over the road truckers. The pickup benefits from that development.

I think for now I'll hold out for the Flux Capacitor and Mr. Fusion optional upgrades.

Edited by Ridenfool