IGNORED

Best tire pressures for Austin trails?

TheX

This thread is kind of a humorous answer to the tire thread, but I am actually playing with pressures for the first time in a long time. The Ardent and Ikons on my Scalpel work great at 30psi. The DHF and DHRii on my Bronson can be lower I'm sure. I rode at 28/28 today, first real ride. It was way more grippy than anything i had ever experienced. I'm pretty positive it can get better. Lower pressures next ride.

2 hours ago, Chief said:

The sidewalls on the DHF and Aggressor are pretty stiff. I run 28psi rear and 20psi front at 235#.

wow, I was starting to think I was a freak after reading others preferences. That's exactly what I've been running lately.

I was running a DHR in the rear, and usually stayed below 25 psi, but ended up tearing some knobs off the DHR (El Paso..Duh!) and the Peddler bike shop only had the Aggressors, so I gave it a try. I literally didn't notice any difference in the tire, other than bumping up the pressure.

I'm still not sure what the difference is between the DHR and the Aggressor

Those of you running low 20's and teens: 

How much do you weigh? 
Running cushcore or some variant?

Doing lots of jumps/drops with those pressures? 

I tend to run 24 front/26 rear. I probably weigh closer to 180lbs with my gear and my bike is around 34 lbs. I want to get cushcore and try some lower pressures. 

16 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

How much do you weigh? 

I'm 195lb.  I'm not a smooth rider by any means. I charge rocks and ledges hard. And I don't mind dropping 3-4 footers and smaller jumps/tabletops. 

I run 18-23.5psi in 27.5x2.6 Rekons on SC Reserve 37mm rims with HuckNorris front and rear. I don't think I've had a tire pinch flat, nor a significant rim strike in the 4.9K miles that I've ran that setup. 

And that's significant considering I ran 27.5x2.5/2.4 DHF/DHR on 30mm Al rims at 28-30psi for years and constantly pinch flatted my tires and had rim strike-dinged rims. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, circuitbreaker said:

i moved away from cushcore, because i found it impossible to remove the tires on the trail.

This is one of the reasons I went with HuckNorris. They don't offer sidewall support, but that wasn't what I was looking for. They appear to help a LOT with pinch flats though, and they're super easy to install and remove. Also cheap. 

2 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

23 front DHF EXO / 29 rear Aggressor DD

i prefer 25 in the rear, but kept getting pinch flats. i moved away from cushcore, because i found it impossible to remove the tires on the trail. so, in the unlikely event something does happen, you're pretty much screwed.

about 200lbs and tend to jump alot.

Does cushcore allow you to ride back to the trailhead on a flat? 

55 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I'm still not sure what the difference is between the DHR and the Aggressor

Super similar tires, Aggressor has shallower middle knobs so has less braking grip but rolls a little faster.  I think for around here the Aggressor is a great rear tire.  Also love DHR II, hard to go wrong with most of the Maxxis line. I love the Minion DHF front and an Aggressor rear. 26 psi front and 28psi rear, but 240 with gear, could run less pressure methinks.

• Like 1

I'm 160 pounds riding a 140mm hardtail with 29x2.4 tires on 25mm rims (narrow by today's standards) no inserts. No hucking but I seek out chunky stuff to crawl over.

Mid-high 20s for pressure. Anything under 25 results in rim strikes and sliced tires. I don't know how people pull off lower pressure for Austin rocks 

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't know how people pull off lower pressure for Austin rocks 

I don't either... I've tried mid-20s and tires immediately feel squirmy (like it feels when you've got a puncture and the tire is going soft). But I'm still of 22mm wide rims (2.35 tires) so maybe that's the problem.

1 hour ago, radiantm3 said:

How much do you weigh? 

I tend to run 24 front/26 rear. I probably weigh closer to 180lbs with my gear and my bike is around 34 lbs. I want to get cushcore and try some lower pressures. 

I'm 160 and run 2.35's at ~23 rear and 19 front.  I would run lower but I've had a couple instances of bombing through a downhill rocky section at high speed that ended with punctures when running ~16 front and 19 rear.  The most recent one resulted in both front and rear spraying Orangeseal and of course I only had one tube.  I don't believe cushcore would have helped as the cuts were in the middle of the tire not snakebites next to the bead so I've not considered going that route.

• Like 1

Rear - Bontrager se4 29*2.4 23psi

Front - Specialized Eliminator black diamond 29×2.6 20 psi

2019 Trek Fuel 130 travel, 235# riding weight. 

Mostly ride brushy creek and lake Georgetown. 

I rarely have rim strikes with that setup and thinking lowering the front because the sidewalls are pretty stiff. 

~205lbs or so, Ground Control front and Ikon 2.35 Exo/Grid/etc on the back.  20-25 front, 25-30 rear.  If I run below 28 in the rear I risk a pinch flat.  The only place where I've pinch flatted is on Peddlers in the first ditch/creek wet crossing where it's happened twice.  One of those sharp rocks set in cement has gotten me 2x when I let the rear tire go <28psi.  When the dirt is hero, I have to run 28-30 otherwise the tires get a bit squirmy.  When it's loose, I can run a bit lower.

16 hours ago, radiantm3 said:

How much do you weigh? 

I weigh about 140-145lbs, and like my share of drops/jumps.  No cushcore.  I use to run mid 20's for a while but dropping the tire pressure by 3-4 psi seems to give me a better feel and no issues of yet-been about a year.

• Like 1