IGNORED

CushCore...yes or no?

TheX

My brief experience with CushCore was a PITA. Relaced a wheel for a friend that had CushCore the biggest issue for me was getting the CushCore centered in the tire. Had to break the tire down multiple times to get it close to center. If it's not centered properly it causes the tire to wobble like a bent rim. Also wouldn't want to have to deal with it in a flat situation on the trail. I think if you run carbon wheels and race or do a lot of drops it has it's up sides but for me not worth the price for the hassle.

• Like 2

I am using the nukeproof version of cushcore which is much easier to install and still provides a decent amount of protection and sidewall support.

I run it in the rear of all my bikes as I like the peace of mind, but I also really like the way it makes the tire ride. Much like a volume reducer in a fork it provides a bit of a softer feeling tire for more traction, but does not compress as easily at a certain point. They are on sale at the moment from chain reaction for a very reasonable price if you are interested. Highly recommend giving them a shot. They maybe add 10% effort to the install of a tire.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nukeproof-horizon-advanced-rim-defence-ard-pair/rp-prod172999   

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

Yeah. That is what I was getting at. It changes the tire in the same way it changes a fork. I really like it.

What size tires are you running? I run 27.5+ and while I love the low pressures I can run, a volume reducer to ramp up the bigger hits sounds awesome. On the other hand, the last thing I need is more rotational weight. 

1 minute ago, notyal said:

What size tires are you running? I run 27.5+ and while I love the low pressures I can run, a volume reducer to ramp up the bigger hits sounds awesome. On the other hand, the last thing I need is more rotational weight. 

I ride 29 with anywhere from a 2.3 to a 2.6 depending on the bike and tire. Works very well in that range. As to the rotational weight I think it is pretty negligible, but I run heavy tires anyhow so I do not even notice it. It is only about 100g per insert if that helps at all. At under 40 bucks though it may be worth a shot. If that saves a tire in the long run as well it more than pays for itself.

If you ordered from ChainReaction, that is where they're located. Bought a set of tires from there. Pretty decent price. Shipping took...a while. When it got here, shipping box looked like it was losing competitor in a Lucha Libre match. Glad I did not order anything delicate or prone to smash damage. 

• Like 1

I’ve tried cushcore one time and although I didn’t have much trouble Getting the tire on & off with the cushcore involved, I did have a repeated weird ass tire-blowing-off-the-rim during mounting issue which made me give up on the system.  I also got a rock puncture on a brand new DD Maxxis aggressor tire on like the 1st or 2nd ride which didn’t reinforce any confidence in the system either. 

Just run proper tire pressures and the right casing tires and you should be just fine without it. Unless you have problems destroying tires and rims which you haven’t been able to solve by tire / air pressure adjustment, I’d say it’s an unnecessary purchase. Just my opinion though. 

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, throet said:

You may want to try Cush Core ……. if you ride like this! 

That was kind of a douche move to cut across the grass at Sacré-Cœur. At 5:02 he ran right past my favorite cafe, spent plenty of time sitting there drinking wine, usually that is one of the first stops for me, after getting my morning coffee.