IGNORED

CushCore...yes or no?

TheX

25 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Most of the long stairway shots were clearly not in Paris. 

Also the sequence of the locations in Paris doesn't make sense.    From La Defense to the Eiffel tower in the blink of an eye.

I've love to know if the bike survived that flat landing.  That looked painful for the rider and the bike!

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Also the sequence of the locations in Paris doesn't make sense.    From La Defense to the Eiffel tower in the blink of an eye.

I've love to know if the bike survived that flat landing.  That looked painful for the rider and the bike!

Technically you can make that trek with only one metro change at Charles de Gaulle Etolle, but even then you're probably looking at a 15-20 minute trip in non-peak time. However, I will say that there is a good crepe place in La Defense that I know. If you have a banana-nutella crepe, all is right with the world.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Technically you can make that trek with only one metro change at Charles de Gaulle Etolle, but even then you're probably looking at a 15-20 minute trip in non-peak time. However, I will say that there is a good crepe place in La Defense that I know. If you have a banana-nutella crepe, all is right with the world.

I worked at the Alcatel office for 2 weeks in 1999, IIRC it was a short walk from the metro station (we stayed close to the Eiffel tower).  The little food cart outside the La Defense station had better coffee and chocolate croissants than almost any place I've tried in the US.  I had one every day.  I've had street crepes elswhere.  I'm sure I had a banana nutella but my favorite was a savory one with ham and cheese.  But no street food compares to the Tartiflette we had though.  I've actually thought this would be an awesome dish for after a cold R&I.  Damn...I just ate but now I'm craving some of that food.

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Had to google that one, never had one before. Will check it out in May and report back. Where in Paris? I will primarily be in the north and that sounds like a mountain food so Paris may be my only option.

Tartiflette is kind of fondue meets gratin potatoes - great with ice cold, crisp white wine. I doubt you'd commonly find it in Parisian restaurants, but if you do, I bet it'll be good.

I installed cushcore a few days ago. Got it from Jenson when they had the 20% off sale. So far I like how it feels. My bike doesn’t feel noticeably heavier or harder to pedal. I mainly wanted to try it out for the “performance” improvements it is supposed to have and it seems to deliver. Cornering feels a bit nicer and it feels like I have a bit more suspension travel on bigger drops. But I’ve only done one ride so far. 

Install wasn’t terrible considering it was my first time installing. My 2.4 width tire was definitely easier than my 2.5. Should get easier the more I do it. 

On 12/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, radiantm3 said:

I’ve only gotten 1 unrepairable flat in the last 2 years. Going to stick with those odds for now. 

HuckNorris instead of CrushCore, but yeah, me too. I don't even carry tubes anymore, just bacon and a pump or CO2. And HuckNorris solved my primary source of flats anyway--tire pinch flats. I used to get them often, now not one since installing the inserts 5250 miles ago.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

HuckNorris instead of CrushCore, but yeah, me too. I don't even carry tubes anymore, just bacon and a pump or CO2. And HuckNorris solved my primary source of flats anyway--tire pinch flats. I used to get them often, now not one since installing the inserts 5250 miles ago.

That's a pretty good endorsement.  Did you carry a tube for the Dragonslayer?  That's one place I've had a bad sidewall slash.

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

Did you carry a tube for the Dragonslayer?

I did not! The only thing I did was bolt my pump on the frame instead of carrying CO2. I did the same for the EB and my big Brushy area ride as well. I knew I was taking a risk on the Dragonslayer. After all, a nasty side wall rip with no tube at Goodwater was the one irreparable flat that I've suffered since going to this format. Unfortunately I had ridden up to Goodwater from my house near Walnut. So Uber to the rescue.

A smarter man would strap a tube to the bike for such adventures. But still, it has only cost me the one time in all those miles. 

• Like 1

I may have to consider this stuff then.  For me the last few times I've had a puncture has been to pinch flats (both on Peddlers pass wet creek crossing even though I ride LGT and BCGB with plenty of cheesegrater rocks...go figure), or related to previously baconized pinch flat repairs.  I can't seem to run too low though b/c I do have instances of tire burp when the traction is high and I try to corner too hard.

• 1 month later...

Who is using Nukeproof ARD?

I need a solution: 25mm internal rims, 29x2.4 tires, 160 pound rider on hardtail. I need to run 28-30 psi (checked using an Accu-Gauge) to keep from pinging my rims. on SATN stuff, no less.

What's a better investment: wider rim (I build my own wheels) or inserts?

(Very, very skeptical about CushCore. $150 for two foam rings seems like a scam.)