IGNORED

CushCore...yes or no?

TheX

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Put a few more rides on the airliner on the XC rig, and so far so good. Without a doubt it made the bike way less harsh in the back, enough so the fork now feels rough. Certainly worth $60 and 150 grams. The only thing i wish id done different was getting some multi-directional valvestems as the liner can cover up the standard valve making inflating/deflating difficult.

Gonna buy a pair and replace the ones on both bikes.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nukeproof-universal-presta-tubeless-valves-pair-/rp-prod191137

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/peatys-mk2-tubeless-valves-60mm?variant=32739375677486&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw_H-BRD-ARIsALQE_2MgEKSFKiOJTNNFJVvqdtdij3Q_aHu_bYiiLYUHVjHfq06bW1PrJR0aAtWyEALw_wcB

https://www.jensonusa.com/Cush-Core-Valve-Set-6

thanks for the updated review.

shoot, i thought the channel in the Airliner would be plenty big enough to not interfere with inflation/deflation.  Do you think it is possible it "rotated" in the tire so the channels are on the side instead of against the rim?

Just wondering.  I have a set of Airliners I am going to install in a few weeks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

thanks for the updated review.

shoot, i thought the channel in the Airliner would be plenty big enough to not interfere with inflation/deflation.  Do you think it is possible it "rotated" in the tire so the channels are on the side instead of against the rim?

Just wondering.  I have a set of Airliners I am going to install in a few weeks.

They do rotate a bit. I usually loosen the fastener that holds the valvestem some and just push the whole thing in a bit until it blows air out. Can also remove the core and poke a bit with an automotive pick or small phillips.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Have multiple rides on this airliner and can say it's well worth the money and time. Totally calmed the back of this twitchy bike down and made these uber-harsh enve wagon wheels bearable. Was tinkering with volume reducers/pressure on the EVOL shock before the insert to no avail. Now it's back to stock and is just right.  Probably gonna buy another airliner for the wife's bike. So far, no leaks, wobbles, valvestem issues, and the 150 gram penalty is worth the confidence of having a more stable ride.  

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 1/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, ATXZJ said:

Update

Have multiple rides on this airliner and can say it's well worth the money and time. Totally calmed the back of this twitchy bike down and made these uber-harsh enve wagon wheels bearable. Was tinkering with volume reducers/pressure on the EVOL shock before the insert to no avail. Now it's back to stock and is just right.  Probably gonna buy another airliner for the wife's bike. So far, no leaks, wobbles, valvestem issues, and the 150 gram penalty is worth the confidence of having a more stable ride.  

You still sold on these? Recommended front and rear? Was thinking about ordering a set to go with the new carbon rims I'll be getting. Which valvestem did you end up getting? 

7 minutes ago, throet said:

Also looking at these Pro Inserts from Rimpact.

image.thumb.png.072d10cfcf08e8cd4cbbbe1c19af41c2.png

I picked up a set from Hunt Bike, with a coupon they came out super cheap.

As I pulled into the driveway yesterday, hard 90 turn on asphalt, I felt the front wheel get wonky. Got in the garage to find I was down to 5psi on a 25mm carbon rim. If I didn't have the Rimpact, that tire would have been toast and maybe the rim (depending on how long it was that low PSI).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

You still sold on these? Recommended front and rear? Was thinking about ordering a set to go with the new carbon rims I'll be getting. Which valvestem did you end up getting? 

Yes, rear only so far. Have them in my XC and park bike and it really calmed the twitch nature of my XC bike down. I'm 190lbs kitted  and can run 22-25psi in the rear now. Came up short on my park bike for a rock gap jump in ponca AR. It only slightly dented the rim. Was able to straighten the rim and repurpose for my wifes park bike.  I've seen vids of that feature destroying wheels/tires.

Gave one to @Chief also to try out that you can take a look at the next time you're over. 

Caveat. Get insert specific valve stems as it can block a traditional stem making airing down impossible without jamming something in the stem to dislodge the insert. Chief bought some off amazon that are great deal. I'll post link if I can find. The inserts significantly reduce the amount of air volume in your tire so 4-5 pumps and it's full. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Makes setting exact pressure or adding 4oz of sealant tough at times. Nothing too terrible though. As a bonus, you can ride with no air long enough to get you back to the car.

My  2c on these inserts for a trailbike is to stick to a rear tire that's 750-800 grams. The insert will add 150-160 grams and all of that will start adding up fast. Added almost a pound to my hei hei from a heavy rear tire + insert. IMHO, Chief is on the right track with the air liner/rekon race combo. 

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJ5DSNB/?coliid=I3QAVDOK14EXIE&colid=QF35KH787K14&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by ATXZJ

I am running the Industry Nine stems with Victoria Airliners.  Always add air with the valve at the top of wheel.  No problems running Stans Race sealant over the last 3ish months with this set up.

I’m running 20-22 lbs rear/18-20 front, and am probably 205-210 with hydration pack. 

Cheers,

Shaner

On 4/27/2021 at 10:39 AM, Shanerpvt said:

I’m running 20-22 lbs rear/18-20 front, and am probably 205-210 with hydration pack. 

Exact same here. Same weight range, same pressure range. I love the inserts and yes, they will get you home with no air. I've done it twice now.

• Like 1

After a couple of really great years, I've had a few recent failures with my HuckNorris leading to pinch-flats on my tires. Oddly both were on Windy Loop near the start. The first was a few weeks ago with ChamoisHagar on some roots, and the second was on the 5010 two weeks ago slamming up that first chute on the right near the creek. I have zero interest in the weight and frustration of CrushCore. But I'm thinking Rimpact looks pretty good! I'll probably give it a try at some point in the next few months. 

28 minutes ago, Barry said:

I have zero interest in the weight and frustration of CrushCore. But I'm thinking Rimpact looks pretty good! I'll probably give it a try at some point in the next few months. 

That's the one I'm going to order. They sell a kit that comes with their Original model for the front tire and the beefier Pro model for the back tire, along with two 2-way valve stems, for ~$100 US. If you just want the lighter Original for front / rear, then you'll come in even cheaper. 

image.thumb.png.46b515ac73efab1ed6c601603f742785.png

Edited by throet

1,200 mile Cush core update. There is a lot of evidence all around the top of the insert of major rock strikes and little divots all along the sides. Absolutely no indication of an impact on the rim itself. 04c39a809a80a2f748498e288e8205a9.jpg

3238d3b8035d1241598c95f8cf36c4e9.jpg

a95ae4d683152c5711ebc3d27112004f.jpg

For those of you planning on going with the Rimpact inserts, I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I’m not married to Cush core and it would be nice to use an insert that weighs less assuming it can protect my rims just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WLemke said:

1,200 mile Cush core update. There is a lot of evidence all around the top of the insert of major rock strikes and little divots all along the sides. Absolutely no indication of an impact on the rim itself. 

Opinions based on experience and facts! Secksi!

I got a pair of flat tire defender brand foam inserts for Christmas and have been running them for a few months. They seem pretty good, though I have nothing to compare them to. They are just under $100 for the pair and made in USA.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, WLemke said:

For those of you planning on going with the Rimpact inserts, I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I’m not married to Cush core and it would be nice to use an insert that weighs less assuming it can protect my rims just as well.

Just got mine installed today. I had already put new tires on my new rims but had never added sealant. I only broke the bead one side and was able to get the inserts in without any trouble at all, and also replaced the valve stems with the Rimpact stems that came with the kit. Added Stans and reseated the tire bead without any trouble. I'm noticing a bit of wobble on the rear. Thinking I will just deflate, massage the tire / insert to make sure it's centered and re-inflate. Looks like it will be a while before I actually get out on the trail with them.  

1 hour ago, throet said:

Just got mine installed today. I had already put new tires on my new rims but had never added sealant. I only broke the bead one side and was able to get the inserts in without any trouble at all, and also replaced the valve stems with the Rimpact stems that came with the kit. Added Stans and reseated the tire bead without any trouble. I'm noticing a bit of wobble on the rear. Thinking I will just deflate, massage the tire / insert to make sure it's centered and re-inflate. Looks like it will be a while before I actually get out on the trail with them.  

I've struggled with my tires seating straight with my rimpacts. Perfectly true wheel and brand new tires front and rear, both with wobble. Doesn't rub anything so sending it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I've struggled with my tires seating straight with my rimpacts. Perfectly true wheel and brand new tires front and rear, both with wobble. Doesn't rub anything so sending it.

My front wheel is spinning true with the Rimpact Original but the rear wheel with heavier Rimpact Pro is not. The cheap Conti Shieldwall tires could be part of the problem as I've had wobble issues with those in the past, even without inserts. As long as its not excessive and not rubbing anything, I too will be sending it, well as soon as the monsoon passes anyway!

I read through some of the thread shared by @WayneBT and there are some really good insights there. There are so many choices now for tire inserts that I'll have other options if I conclude that these are not up to par once I get some miles on them. I was especially concerned about the comment that they don't offer the same ride quality improvements as CushCore. @ATXZJ has given really good reviews on the Vittoria Airliners, and those might be next on my list to try if these don't work out.  

• Like 1

May or may not be an insert issue. I was Conti guy in the past and stopped using them because of that wobble. It would randomly appear when I pulled a tire off a rim and remounted it. It'd also happen if I burped it in a turn or impact. Tried numerous tricks to  straighten them before I gave up on the brand.

MTBR has a rabbit holes worth of info on the continental wobble.

• Like 1

So, I am really happy with my Rimpact, but then I look at the fleet of bikes in my garage and how I would love to convert more of them. But dang it gets pricey. So I am looking at doing one of the Ghetto options - 1.5" Closed Cell Backer Rod. Available around $30 for 50ft. I'd likely run it in bikes that are not trying to run low pressure and not heavy riders (wife and kid bikes). But who would benefit from lower risk of flatting and ride home on foam vs tube swap.

Anyone spend much time looking at the ghetto option? I've read a handful of forums and videos.