IGNORED

CushCore...yes or no?

TheX

3 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

So, I am really happy with my Rimpact, but then I look at the fleet of bikes in my garage and how I would love to convert more of them. But dang it gets pricey. So I am looking at doing one of the Ghetto options - 1.5" Closed Cell Backer Rod. Available around $30 for 50ft. I'd likely run it in bikes that are not trying to run low pressure and not heavy riders (wife and kid bikes). But who would benefit from lower risk of flatting and ride home on foam vs tube swap.

Anyone spend much time looking at the ghetto option? I've read a handful of forums and videos.

I've been curious about this ever since I realized that the Huck Norris was basically a glorified pool noodle. If you settle on a ghetto solution, please keep us updated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, notyal said:

I've been curious about this ever since I realized that the Huck Norris was basically a glorified pool noodle. If you settle on a ghetto solution, please keep us updated.

Some of the threads on the topic from the UK go into a good detail on the density of foam they were finding. Having some trouble finding that information here from US vendors. But yeah starting to look for 1.5 to 2 in rod.

19 minutes ago, notyal said:

At least one company actually markets a homegrown option - much cheaper than the others on the market. Still cheaper to do your own I'm sure if you can find the right material.  Home | Mynesweepers

image.png.0762c54be7554fba5c2524be9e2e414d.png

20 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

Got excited when I saw the title of this video. Unfortunately, it doesn't really provide much useful info...

I like the concept behind that Tannus, but can't get comfortable using insert and tannus in the same sentence.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, WLemke said:

1,200 mile Cush core update. There is a lot of evidence all around the top of the insert of major rock strikes and little divots all along the sides. Absolutely no indication of an impact on the rim itself. 04c39a809a80a2f748498e288e8205a9.jpg

3238d3b8035d1241598c95f8cf36c4e9.jpg

a95ae4d683152c5711ebc3d27112004f.jpg

For those of you planning on going with the Rimpact inserts, I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I’m not married to Cush core and it would be nice to use an insert that weighs less assuming it can protect my rims just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been riding my Rimpacts for 4 months without any issues. I've got the original in front and the denser pro model in back. Usually ride around 22psi rear and 18 in front. My rear tire was worn; so I attempted changing my tire prior to riding yesterday. Quickly discovered it was going to be impossible to break the bead with just my hands given the size of that Rimpact Pro. I won't go into all the details, but just breaking the bead involved some tools that I definitely would never have trailside. Once I got the tire unseated and removed the insert, I found indications of impacts very similar to what @WLemke is showing in his pics above, with no indications of damage to my DT Swiss carbon rims. 

Cleaned up the Rimpact and commenced mounting a new tire, exact same brand / model tire as what I removed. While this is only the second time installing tires on these particular DT Swiss rims, I've installed plenty of tires on my prior set of DT Swiss carbon, as well as on other wheels I've owned over the years, and I've never had trouble getting a tire on with anything more than a couple of flimsy plastic tire levers. This time though, I fought the damn thing for an hour and a half, trying various techniques, and for the life of me couldn't get it past 10 / 2. Eventually had to give up and dust off my back-up bike for a scheduled ride at City Park, which ended up being the second ass-kicking of the day for me. 

Not sure what to try next. I really don't think it's the Rimpact that is causing me this difficulty, but I suppose I'll try seating the tire without the Rimpact. The original tire had already been seated before I installed the Rimpact in the first place; so maybe there's something to be said for stretching that thing out a bit before trying it with the insert. If that doesn't work, I may have to try some better tire levers. I have two different types now, both plastic. One set has a really nice hook on the end but are too flimsy to work given the tightness of the bead. The other set are really stiff but just slip out when the going gets tight, given they just have a curved end without a true hook. 

• Like 1

So, if I had to summarize these inserts are great if you spend a ton of money on fancy carbon wheels, but the downside is that they are a total pain to deal with, both on the trail and in the workshop, right?

This leads me to the point of saying aluminum hoops are fine for me, especially with my riding style, and that if I ever did go with fancy carbon it would be best to just get rims with lifetime no questions asked warranty and leave it at that. I'm just not a good enough rider to have to worry at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, throet said:

I've been riding my Rimpacts for 4 months without any issues. I've got the original in front and the denser pro model in back. Usually ride around 22psi rear and 18 in front. My rear tire was worn; so I attempted changing my tire prior to riding yesterday. Quickly discovered it was going to be impossible to break the bead with just my hands given the size of that Rimpact Pro. I won't go into all the details, but just breaking the bead involved some tools that I definitely would never have trailside. Once I got the tire unseated and removed the insert, I found indications of impacts very similar to what @WLemke is showing in his pics above, with no indications of damage to my DT Swiss carbon rims. 

Cleaned up the Rimpact and commenced mounting a new tire, exact same brand / model tire as what I removed. While this is only the second time installing tires on these particular DT Swiss rims, I've installed plenty of tires on my prior set of DT Swiss carbon, as well as on other wheels I've owned over the years, and I've never had trouble getting a tire on with anything more than a couple of flimsy plastic tire levers. This time though, I fought the damn thing for an hour and a half, trying various techniques, and for the life of me couldn't get it past 10 / 2. Eventually had to give up and dust off my back-up bike for a scheduled ride at City Park, which ended up being the second ass-kicking of the day for me. 

Not sure what to try next. I really don't think it's the Rimpact that is causing me this difficulty, but I suppose I'll try seating the tire without the Rimpact. The original tire had already been seated before I installed the Rimpact in the first place; so maybe there's something to be said for stretching that thing out a bit before trying it with the insert. If that doesn't work, I may have to try some better tire levers. I have two different types now, both plastic. One set has a really nice hook on the end but are too flimsy to work given the tightness of the bead. The other set are really stiff but just slip out when the going gets tight, given they just have a curved end without a true hook. 

You need to really work the bead under the tire insert. Use the end of your tire lever to stuff it in there. It also helps if you lay the wheel flat on top of a trash can. It really helps to get the bead under the insert around the entire rim without disturbing the work you’ve already done. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, throet said:

What tires are you installing? Also what width rim? 

I found installing the tire without the insert and pumping that fukr up to 40 psi and leaving it overnight helps, a lot. The next day it'll be much easier to get the insert in.

13 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

So, if I had to summarize these inserts are great if you spend a ton of money on fancy carbon wheels, but the downside is that they are a total pain to deal with, both on the trail and in the workshop, right?

This leads me to the point of saying aluminum hoops are fine for me, especially with my riding style, and that if I ever did go with fancy carbon it would be best to just get rims with lifetime no questions asked warranty and leave it at that. I'm just not a good enough rider to have to worry at this point.

It's a double edged sword. Once I put the insert in the back, I started charging rock gardens at a much higher speed and damaged the carbon rim, that so far, had lasted almost five years.  My long travel bike has DT aluminums with vittoria air-liners front and rear. Noticed more of a ride quality from the front on the high pivot bike.

IMHO, carbon is nice because other than failures, you really dont need to work on them. The ride on aluminum and ability to get you home, is worth the weight for me on my basher bikes. 

10 minutes ago, WLemke said:

You need to really work the bead under the tire insert. Use the end of your tire lever to stuff it in there. It also helps if you lay the wheel flat on top of a trash can. It really helps to get the bead under the insert around the entire rim without disturbing the work you’ve already done. 

Embarrassed to admit, I broke down and bought one of these🤣

IMG_20210926_160922990.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

What tires are you installing? Also what width rim? 

I found installing the tire without the insert and pumping that fukr up to 40 psi and leaving it overnight helps, a lot. The next day it'll be much easier to get the insert in.

It's another Conti Mountain King Shieldwall 2.3 on 30mm internal rims. It's the last one I have in stock and will be switching to something else in the future. Definitely going to see if I can get it on without the Rimpact today, and if so, will do as you suggest and see if I can stretch it out a bit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Embarrassed to admit, I broke down and bought one of these🤣

IMG_20210926_160922990.jpg

Looks like one of those "found on the SATN" items.

I thought those Vittoria air liners were more of run flat rather than protecting rims.  Maybe that applies only to the road versions but what I read is that they compress when the tire is inflated.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Looks like one of those "found on the SATN" items.

I thought those Vittoria air liners were more of run flat rather than protecting rims.  Maybe that applies only to the road versions but what I read is that they compress when the tire is inflated.

It does for sure

The liners do a pretty good job protecting the rims if you keep the fit tight. I also like the runflat ability

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, throet said:

Get a set of the Pedro's plastic levers they're strong AF.

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Tubeless NOOB question. How low of a pressure do I need to worry about needing some sort of insert? I've been experimenting with pressures. Since getting the new bike. I'm currently in the high teens (18-19psi) but might try lower. 

Depends on rim width and tire size.

I think you are getting close but not mandatory yet. Some of the guys I ride with are down in the 13-14psi range. 

That said, it doesn't hurt to run them. I picked up some Rimpact for fairly cheap front Hunt Bikes online and have been happy. Alternatively, I built a jig and a bunch of my bikes are running pool noodle rim protectors.

IMG_20220403_074659.jpg

IMG_20220403_074705.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 7:47 AM, Mattlikesbikes said:

I think you are getting close but not mandatory yet. Some of the guys I ride with are down in the 13-14psi range. 

That said, it doesn't hurt to run them. I picked up some Rimpact for fairly cheap front Hunt Bikes online and have been happy. Alternatively, I built a jig and a bunch of my bikes are running pool noodle rim protectors.

IMG_20220403_074659.jpg

IMG_20220403_074705.jpg

How long have you been running pool noodles? It was my understanding that open cell foam absorbs sealant, making the sealant useless. Is this not your experience? 

2 hours ago, WLemke said:

How long have you been running pool noodles? It was my understanding that open cell foam absorbs sealant, making the sealant useless. Is this not your experience? 

Pool noodles are closed cell foam, otherwise they would not float. Its all the closed/sealed off bubbles that make the bouncy.  But I'm not turning my nose up at the $100 pricetag for legit inserts. I run RImpact on my carbon wheels.

I'm running pool noodles on my XC bike and my kids bike. Both were already setup tubeless before I started, so the initial seal of the tire was done. I've had them on my XC bike for a couple months now and have not added juice to them. That said, I have no idea if they would seal right now or not. I do think all the texture on the noodle (both original edge and cut edge) probably create spaces for sealant to settle vs running like juice on the inside of the tire.  SO it probably does reduce effectiveness or require more juice to stay working. 

• 1 month later...