IGNORED

Saturday Dec. 7- east side park meeting

This flyer has been going around. My understanding is that plans for John Trevino Park are up in the air and there's a big push for a skate/bike facility. The meeting this Saturday could be an opportunity to voice your interest in the park doing that.

One issue I noticed: the park seems to be very difficult to get to without a car. For kids, that means it might as well be on the moon. The park is about two miles east of the Walnut Creek Trail on MLK/969. According to street view images, there's a bike lane along a fast-travelled road, but the lane ends 1/2 mile west of the park at Decker. While getting the idea to take root is the priority, I'd like to make it clear to those in charge how important it will be to make it accessible to everyone, including young people who can't drive and those who would rather pedal/ skate to the park. 

FB_IMG_1575485235678.jpg

Screenshot_20191204-125502_Maps.jpg

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

I fish often out at Decker lake, and there's actually some decent bike paths in that area, but I'm not all that familiar with that particular park.

If it's anything like the area around Decker Lake Rd. and Decker LN, it's sketchy as hell.

I still hope it is a success, the community definitely needs as many of these kind of amenities as possible.

• Like 1

I recently went to the Rockstar BMX park in Houston.  It was awesome and get this...it was free!!  100% free to ride some asphalt pump tracks, 5 different bowls of varying skill level, and a decent size dirt pump track.  It really is a great use of land to get kids outside and doing something.  Despite this being a drive and a PITA to get to, I'd make the trip out there with my kids if they had an interest.  

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

• Like 1

Interesting outdoors open house with lots of large posters on easels with options for development at the park.  If my BMX-dar and SKATE-dar are accurate, there were a LOT of BMX and skate park folks in attendance (hi, CMC!).  It's an interesting property, just an old farm at the confluence of Walnut Creek with the Colorado, with farm fields in the extensive flat areas, and heavily wooded streamside.  Also, for you geology and geology adjacent folks, there's a recently (this year!) abandoned oxbow on Walnut Creek. 

There are heavily wooded areas along the Colorado, but those areas have apparently flooded 6 times in the last year alone, so not prime for development.  

One non-bike related aspect was Colorado River access for boaters (and presumably) and people wanting to fish. 

As we were turning in to the park,  I noticed a narrow sidewalk along the edge of FM 969.  Driving out, we looked more carefully;  it stops at Decker Lane.  We turned NE on Decker Lane to see if it continued and it doesn't, even though there is an elementary school about two hundred yards from that intersection, with zero bike/pedestrian access. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

I made an appearance. Definitely a big BMX/skate presence based on the number of flat-brimmed hats.  (Pretry sure I saw local X-Games winner Chase Hawk mingling there.) That area is likely to blow up with residential development in the next few years, so the sidewalks ought to come with it.

Edited by mack_turtle

6 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

That area is likely to blow up with residential development

That's the damn truth.  I'd use the term explosive.  That area is between TX 130 and the (partially completed )183 Toll with no impediments to high density development -- lots of open, relatively flat land.  In addition, the 183/I35 intersection is being developed with overpasses in all directions and there is easy connectivity to the 290 Toll.