IGNORED

Best Craig's List Ads

JRA

sometimes I see a listing for a bike and the bike is either mis-identified in some way or wrongly assembled. I can't help but contact the person in an attempt to be helpful, but I don't get a lot of positive responses. like so many things, I can't make people make good choices, so I let them blissfully live with those bad choices.

Some of the goofy stuff you see on DIY kids bikes builds is both hilarious and a head shaker. Years ago some nimrod music teacher at TX State posted a kids bike with the fork backwards like that. His explanation for selling was the kid found the steering/bike unstable, crashed hard, and refused to ride it. [emoji849] Guess who had put it together. Double [emoji849]

I message him to flip the fork around and see if kid will ride it, but at least fix it before selling it to someone else so their kid is safe. Idiot sends back a tirade on how he built and there was no possible way to put a fork on backwards. Lesson learned. Never argue with Craigslist boneheads. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, RedRider3141 said:

image.thumb.png.41e728b4e71370ac6b0d511f84329ef2.png

I'll see this tandem with a tag-a-long....and then raise you a Burley trailer.  

We've got a MTN tandem and when our kids were young we'd do a setup like the above, but we'd also add the littlest dude into a Burley trailer.  We could have all 4 of us on the same rig.  I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere.  I know it was our Xmas photo a decade ago or so.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Shinerider said:

Awesomesauce https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-cannondale-road-bike/7463619592.html

Just serviced, but the chain doesn't really reflect that.  And looks like he ran it into the wall with that fork rake!

01010_5rQmHuQwJrqz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

And listed for $600!...aMaZinG.  I sure hope he gets that kind of money.  I've got a few bikes I need to sell and hope the market is THAT strong

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, RedRider3141 said:

image.thumb.png.41e728b4e71370ac6b0d511f84329ef2.png

I found my tandem+trail-a-bike+trailer photo.  I dug it up from our Xmas photo box.  Circa 2007.  I believe this was one of the last times we were all aloud to ride out bikes through the trail of lights.

IMG-4599.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CBaron said:

I found my tandem+trail-a-bike+trailer photo.  I dug it up from our Xmas photo box.  Circa 2007.  I believe this was one of the last times we were all aloud to ride out bikes through the trail of lights.

IMG-4599.jpg

I haven't been in years, but didn't we all just park back then and walk/ride through it? I guess now it's a drive-thru thing or something. I remember chugging a couple of Lone Stars and running the Trail of Lights 5K in the early aughts - is that still a thing?

Just now, TAF said:

I haven't been in years, but didn't we all just park back then and walk/ride through it? I guess now it's a drive-thru thing or something. I remember chugging a couple of Lone Stars and running the Trail of Lights 5K in the early aughts - is that still a thing?

"Back in the day" we would all ride through the TOL and then ride 'parade-style' down congress and then it would turn into a quasi-critical mass ride as everyone splintered off around downtown.  I believe 2006 was last year for the big congress parade style and it was so massive that it got larger than the logistics could handle.  Then in 2007 (tandem photo), we were only allowed to ride through the TOL and no congress avenue (although a group still cruised down there albeit bandit-style).  My family road all along the town lake HAB trail back to our car parked at Austin High.  I don't think anything goes on now (bike related).

Later,
CJB

Yeah, back in the mid/late 90’s when BSS was still on Toomey, Hill would sponsor the group ride. It rolled out from the shop. He and Laura showed up on a tandem dressed as Mr & Mrs Clause every year. We went thru TOL under mopac to Castle Hill then up to 37th and then back thru UT down speedway to congress. Ended with a drag race down Congress Avenue from the capitol to the town lake bridge every year. By 04/05 when I was dragging my kid in a trailer it went from 40-50 to well over 100 and got pretty rowdy. 

• 1 month later...

Ahhh...possibly the beginning of the covid buyers remorse program?

Anyone taking that bike to a pawn shop either stole it or can't afford it.

Oh, and the jaws of that stand are coated with rubber so nothing to see here🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chief said:

Oh, and the jaws of that stand are coated with rubber so nothing to see here🤣

So you think that clamp job is perfectly ok because the jaws are rubber?  Carbon fiber bikes should never be clamped by anything but the seat post. Does not take much clamp pressure to crush a tube, especially if you have no idea what you're doing. I know of at least 1 member here who can vouch for this, he worked at a bike shop too.

59 minutes ago, JRA said:

So you think that clamp job is perfectly ok because the jaws are rubber?  Carbon fiber bikes should never be clamped by anything but the seat post. Does not take much clamp pressure to crush a tube, especially if you have no idea what you're doing. I know of at least 1 member here who can vouch for this, he worked at a bike shop too.

Wow you really didn't get it.

• Haha 1