IGNORED

I think I unhate Sram brakes.

TheX

Not the ones we all (most of us anyway) hate, the Code R's that are on my new Santa Cruz Bronson. I still hate the fact that they use DOT fluid instead of mineral oil, but I'm used to working with it.

Just wanted to share, I was going to replace them but decided to give them a chance, and I'm glad I did.

I actually prefer the feel of SRAM brakes, but after all the noise on here about how much greater Shimano brakes are I tried a pair of Shimano Zee's. I like the zee but not a much my guide R's. I've stuck with the Zee's, due to ease of maintenance.

Edited by 4fun

I became a fan of the Shimano XT's. I still have SRAM on my hardtail but rarely ride it. Every time I do I ask myself why I have not put Shimano on that bike. The difference is night and day. Especially when it comes to bleeding. Had to bleed an XT about 2 weeks ago before a ride. Took the bike off the wall, the lever felt squishy. I bled it in under 4 minutes and went off on my ride. Rarely do I trust myself with a critical repair so close to the start of a ride, but with those brakes I never think twice.

55 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

SRÀM brakes working at their full potential
ec8ff599ac99512021bfbbb15d7fa4be.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Now that's funny!....At least until your Shimano brakes develop the dreaded pump up wandering bite point😡

Edited by Chief
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as you can deal with DOT fluid, they’re easy to bleed. Easy to completely tear down and rebuild without complicated tools and you can order any of their spare parts easily. Not that you’d need that feature as they don’t require much work. And their brake brake pads last forever. My Tech X2’s are on their second set of pads and I’ve had them since 2008-09?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

LOL that’s brutal. Poor SRAM. I love their drivetrains, but man they have such a hard time with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to love them back in the X.9 days. My current bike has a GX/X.0 combo and I am less than impressed; it works, but I would probably move to Shimano if I had the chance. But in the 12-speed world it seems like mixing and matching bits is not recommended so I would need to burn through a cassette at the same time as blowing out a derailleur.