IGNORED

Bartman?

The Tip

Did the thread that Bartman was on just get closed, or did Bartman get banned? 

I appreciate the need for moderating, and the desire to keep things civil here, but I have always taken his remarks as tongue in cheek (which cheeks is ambiguously unclear!:classic_wink:).  I think his postings add color to the site. So I hope he was not banned. If people don't want to mess with him, they won't. Those that enjoy it, do. 

My two cents.

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback, but I have to disagree.  Many of Bartman's posts on MoJo contributed little to threads except for insults and attacks against other users.  And he made it clear he was going to bring his sophomoric behavior here as well.  I've spoken to various people over the years who did not participate on MoJo because of Bartman and other trolls on the site.  I'd prefer this site to be more inviting, without people having to worry about whether someone is going to start posting garbage in their thread to derail it. 

There are plenty of ways to add "color" to your posts without demeaning others.  I've had several positive messages from people already thanking me for not allowing Bartman to continue as he did (and does) on MoJo. 

..Al

• Like 2

Al- I appreciate and respect your plan to run this place a little moderated than the other site.  Its not unlike how I ran the HH forum.  However, I do think that since nearly 100% of your traffic has been populated from Mojo, getting off to this kind of start should not be a surprise.  I do think some kind of "forum etiquette" sticky post would be wise.  This would allow users to get an understanding for the climate around here.  Additionally, I think its worth mentioning that Bartman didn't initiate the 'sophomoric banter' in that thread, it was actually the other poster (shrute?) who began that.  Bartman had actually been pretty "inside the boundaries" up til that point.

Thanks, -CJB

• Like 1

There are forum guidelines, but they are buried in the "More" menu at the top of the page.  They are similar to the guidelines on another forum I've been running for nearly 20 years.  I will certainly make them more visible.  

https://austinmountainbiking.com/index.php?/guidelines/

Yes, I'm aware that Schrute was mimicking typical Bartman behavior that Bartman then responded to in kind.  My post asking to not have that kind of crap here was directed at both of them.  Bartman then chose to post this in response

..Al

The rules are really there for when people go over the line.  Again, I want people to be able to post here in a friendly environment.  I will tolerate plenty of rambunctiousness, but when you start attacking other users, insulting them, calling them names, and trolling threads, that's going over the line, and I'll step in at that point.  On my other forum it's rare that we need to ban someone.  Also, the one rule I will be more militant on is no discussion of politics and religion.  I've tried that before and in nearly all cases it gets out of control in a hurry.  And I don't really want to know all of your personal politics and religious beliefs.  😛

..Al

• Like 1

I might be wrong in always assuming an internet poster's intentions are good. But I assumed Schrute was just being funny and not attacking Bartman. I assumed that Bartman would be pleased by the imitation since it is "the sincerest form of flattery."   Bartman's response, to me, was a "I see what you did there" acknowledgement.

But...whatever. If this is biggest controversy we've had (yawn) we're doing alright.

You have to admit that the Simpson's character and the Mojo character do live up to the style associated with the name. Whether or not a forum needs or will accept such "look at me" humor delivered in this way is the question. The patter isn't particularly creative, nor is it even all that funny most of the time. Anyone can toss out that kind of stuff on occasion and get a chuckle. It is all about timing and how crudeness plays in such contrast to the norm. That is when the delivery works best. When it becomes a permanent persona without any artfulness in crafting the delivery it loses this effect of timing and contrast that would otherwise carry it into the giggle zone.  More often than not I feel a little sorry for Bartman for having posted them.

Meh. I could take it or leave it and in no way feel Al's decision was inappropriate.

With more craftsmanship such humor could add something to a forum. The mojo Bart doesn't have the direction the Simpsons' Bart does to craft the role into the sort of thing that can skate that thin line and continue to be creative, fresh, and amusing. With the Mojo Bart it is more like opening a spigot. Delivery is on or off and that is the extent of any creative aspect.

More important to me is how Al takes the time to create a forum that makes it easy to find what I'm looking for with well defined groups and the flexibility to effect change as needed to build a place where riders can share the sport and all the things we relate to it. Having a new forum that grows with those that use it is a welcome addition to the Austin MTB picture. This is the more important aspect that I keep in mind.

Austin Voodoo is a sub-group of a sub-group and there really hasn't been any effort made by the owner/admins to shape the content into a more useful form. It has been fun and I love the place, it is just that I find this place is a pretty nicely presented addition for local flavor.

With this in mind, I have seen some forums that have an "anything goes" section to let people run off the rails any way they want. Often there is a splash page defining this aspect that folks must accept the consequences if they venture into those uncharted waters. When someone gets out of bounds in the other areas they are restricted to only posting in the place where people would go to find that sort of thing.

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work Al. I'm liking the new place.

• Like 5

• Albert locked this topic