IGNORED

Tech for next level MTB Videos?

Yosmithy

Very cool how the development has taken place...

Here's a user review on it...  Still needs some figuring out through heavily wooded environment.

I wonder if a next step in bike park trail development might be  clearing flight paths for drones... They could become a rental item for park users.

2 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

[original video]

Thanks for sharing. The interview with the co-founder was quite interesting, but damn his speech patterns irritate me. What's the deal with constantly using rising intonation on declarative sentences? Stop it! Stop it now!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Barry said:

Thanks for sharing. The interview with the co-founder was quite interesting, but damn his speech patterns irritate me. What's the deal with constantly using rising intonation on declarative sentences? Stop it! Stop it now!

Thanks for making the original video unwatchable?*

(*Question mark only used to imply an upward inflection.)

• Haha 1

Two annoying Silicon Valley things there.

First, the inflection is called "uptalk" and it is basically used as an exclamation point, but not just an exclamation point but a "and then you can't ask me a follow up" inflection. Think of it as a END STATEMENT that gets put at the end of every sentence.

The second thing is starting sentences with "So,..." Equally annoying. Basically that starts the sentence off with a "Well, you stupid person..."

Put them together and you have <well, idiot> <insert statement about the product> <AND IT ENDS HERE>.

Plenty of examples in the valley of how these talking patterns have permeated management, my belief is that a lot of it has come from having to pitch VCs and ask for money. You need a way to not say "that was a dumb question" and also not let people dig too deep into the line of questioning.

Back on topic...

I've seen reviews of the skidio and it works amazingly well in relatively open woods at casual speeds. Take that thing to the scraggly woods we have here and try to do a hot lap and it gets confused very quickly. It won't crash, but that's because it'll just refuse to follow you.

16 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Take that thing to the scraggly woods we have here and try to do a hot lap and it gets confused very quickly. It won't crash, but that's because it'll just refuse to follow you.

It looks like it would be fine if it would follow low at 3-4 feet, like a cyclist with a go-pro. But it mostly appears to follow at 10+ feet. I wonder if default height is adjustable?

11 minutes ago, Barry said:

It looks like it would be fine if it would follow low at 3-4 feet, like a cyclist with a go-pro. But it mostly appears to follow at 10+ feet. I wonder if default height is adjustable?

Yeah, basically the same questions I have. I'm sure it won't be long until we see someone testing it that way

The review I saw the drone could do that but only slowly. Think walking pace. As soon as the rider went faster the drone couldn’t think fast enough and just stopped. The log loops at WC would be too much based on the real world test I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would think that the processing capability of the drone would be way too limited to actually follow a rider, at speed, in a tree-lined area.

Theoretically you would have enough processing capability if you bumped the data up to an HPC environment but bandwidth and latency would be a real issue, even with 5G. In my mind the short answer is that a "following" drone will work on a sunny trail but not really if there is ample shade. Unless it is some of that sweet California singletrack that is smooth and straight.

I could see it on a lot of front range or SW Colorado open country. Moab or Fruita/Grand junction techie stuff where you don’t want to fry trying to setup the perfect angle to film might be good too. You see those early one used in clear corridor bike park stuff. East and NW or in the scrub country that we have is tough. It would take some serious tech to process and would probably price it beyond the consumer or youtuber budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

The only "drone" i'd think capable of following a rider on most of our trails would be an FPS racing drone, with the person controlling it somewhere between start and end. I've seen a few videos, but even then they're still crashing into trees.

This was shot with a drone, at least partially.

• Like 2

Actually if you were able to do a preflight with the drone at a slower speed so that it could "learn" the area and store it to memory, then I could see it doing a pre-planned route that it knew how to move around in. It would still track your movement and give different vantage points as you ride, but it wouldn't have to be analyzing all that terrain data on the fly (pun intended). If they could make that work, it would be like an extremely complex cable cam. I bet it could then go pretty fast like the racing drones.