IGNORED

A garage for roof racks!

AustinBike

15 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

There is a house in Round Rock we tried to buy a few yrs ago with with a garage like that. Didnt get the house. I think of that often. It had doors on each end and was huge.

That would be an awesome garage. I'd have a loft in part of it.

20 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Same here. Between the "sail" effect on the highway and the "bonk" effect with the garage entry, roof racks are a no-go. I know for sure that I would be that guy.

I had a Thule roof rack.  Without the wind deflector, there was always a whistling sound at highway speed.  With the rack on but no bike, my MPG went down by 1.  With the MTB on, the MPG were significantly lower.   I got rid of it when I crunched it into my gutters above the garage.  Ruined the bike tray, put a dent on my roof, had to replace a section of gutter, thankfully my bike at the time was not damaged.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:56 AM, TheX said:

Sounds quiet and awesome.

Prices are going to crash in these communities as Baby Boomers either pass away or go into nursing homes--unless they change the restrictions.  Some places are starting to allow families because otherwise there will not be enough demand for the existing places.  It's an interesting case.

• Like 1

As we get older we have begun doing some preliminary reviews into options. There are a lot of rental-based retirement places coming up, this seems to be the new trend. You don't have to buy in like the typical place and you can get options without the crappy industrial meal plans. Looks like they are targeting people like me, and in another 10 years there should be enough of a track record to know the viability. Much rather have an apartment in the city tied to retirement than still have a house to contend with. More time for biking!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Prices are going to crash in these communities as Baby Boomers either pass away or go into nursing homes--unless they change the restrictions.  Some places are starting to allow families because otherwise there will not be enough demand for the existing places.  It's an interesting case.

My Grandma lived in a 55+ community until recently. The town (yes it's a whole town) was sued a few times by current owners wanting to be able to sell to  <55 year old buyers. Market for those communities are extremely limited.

1 minute ago, RedRider3141 said:

My Grandma lived in a 55+ community until recently. The town (yes it's a whole town) was sued a few times by current owners wanting to be able to sell to  <55 year old buyers. Market for those communities are extremely limited.

That is good to know. My sister was thinking about Sun City and I have been trying to tell her it is a bad idea. Now that we are moving out of the baby boom generation and towards gen X (go me!) the number of people in the market will shrink, how many of those places are probably overbuilt for the future population?

8 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Makes sense that some <55 year old buyers would want to buy the house and rent it out while the years pass until they are 55 themselves.

Not too interested in Sun City - like communities, but the lock and leave lifestyle is becoming appealing.  

Makes sense that some  Not too interested in Sun City - like communities, but the lock and leave lifestyle is becoming appealing.  

An old boss lives in Gtown Sun City. They have no kids and few family members so it works for them.

Otherwise it’s way too restrictive. I call it grumpy old fartsville. 2 week limit on visiting family (no grandkids for the summer), no guests allowed at any amenities except with the homeowner present. So grandma can’t play bridge in clubhouse while kid and grandkids use pool. Plus the usual gated community bullshit. No cars outside garage, can’t work on your own landscaping or cut your grass, only “approved” landscapers allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk