IGNORED

Since The Subject of an Austin MTB Print Magazine Has Come up...

RidingAgain

Hey, mack_turtle...

Since the matter of cheater lines is kind of where this started... Would it be possible for you to take some time... Unpaid at this time... To research and sketch out an article on the matter of trail building and maintenance... Perhaps with a highlighted section addressing the creation of cheater lines. And perhaps including something on IMBA's  thinking behind alternate lines on trails. I came across a comment you made on an mtbr thread on "B" lines.

Most discussions on alternate lines focus on these being lines around more difficult sections, but it can be the other way around. So maybe you could approach the matter from the point of view that all levels of riders want lines suitable for their preferred riding... But there are negatives to cutting your own unsanctioned lines.

Edited by RidingAgain

I am currently engaged in some paid freelance writing work. I'll check if Albert is interested in adding a "features" section to AustinMountainBiking .com that would house such material.

I don't think I could write authoritatively about that particular topic. but i'd be interested in added material to this website or submit stuff to AustinBike to grow his content. I am going to ride a trail that everyone knows but I never have. Perhaps I'll write about it as a first-timer and have that added.

Edited by mack_turtle

Hey, mack_turtle...

Since the matter of cheater lines is kind of where this started... Would it be possible for you to take some time... Unpaid at this time... To research and sketch out an article on the matter of trail building and maintenance... Perhaps with a highlighted section addressing the creation of cheater lines. And perhaps including something on IMBA's  thinking behind alternate lines on trails. I came across a comment you made on an mtbr thread on "B" lines.

Most discussions on alternate lines focus on these being lines around more difficult sections, but it can be the other way around. So maybe you could approach the matter from the point of view that all levels of riders want lines suitable for their preferred riding... But there are negatives to cutting your own unsanctioned lines.
Yea.. hmmm.. I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I am currently engaged in some paid freelance writing work. I'll check if Albert is interested in adding a "features" section to AustinMountainBiking .com that would house such material.

I don't think I could write authoritatively about that particular topic. but i'd be interested in added material to this website or submit stuff to AustinBike to grow his content. I am going to ride a trail that everyone knows but I never have. Perhaps I'll write about it as a first-timer and have that added.

That work will be unpaid, correct? The writing for AustinBike and this website, if you do it.

Just asking to help duffus not get stumbled.

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

yes, I have written some stuff like that. might be useful to have a primer on what's what and how it affects how a bike fits and handles.

I’ll basically take anyone’s blogs, they would get credited, of course. You’ve posted enough on topics that you could probably write on a variety of topics. Any topics, from anyone, would be welcome. Just write something up and send it over, I’ll have the folks at the world headquarters do the formatting. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

HAHA, I pretty much avoid any of this tools baiting threads, but since this went to page 2, I figured you guys have added plenty of entertainment to make it worth the click.

I don't know what the original post was that started this, but if the Turtle dude is willing to submit his work to a thread on this site (or AB's site), I do believe it would be a value. Hell, just his article on geometry is worthy of re-posting on other sites.

Austin area MTB'ing is long overdue for proper content, that I think if done properly, it would be well received by the community, both local and visiting.

Do it!

On 12/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, RidingAgain said:

There's the above thinking... And then there are actual statistics...

"...The estimated aggregate revenue of U.S. based periodical publishers has fallen sharply in the past decade from 46 billion U.S. dollars in 2007 to around 28 billion in 2017. The advent of the internet has changed the print publishing industry drastically. Consumers have become accustomed to the advantages offered by internet-based alternatives, making it increasingly difficult for print newspapers and magazines to keep their audiences. Although competition is becoming more and more fierce, the total number of magazine readers in the U.S. has actually seen a slight increase since 2012. The number of magazines in the U.S. has also stayed fairly constant over the years, varying from around 7,383 to 7,218 since 2008."

I didn't open this thread until today, but had bring up an old quote. I found it fascinating that you used this stat to support the idea that a hyper-local print magazine is a viable business model. So, you're telling me that I could get into a market that over the last ten years has retained about the same amount of competitors, but the pool of money they are all fighting for has been cut in half (and is likely still dropping) - and that supports the argument for a magazine??

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, notyal said:

I didn't open this thread until today, but had bring up an old quote. I found it fascinating that you used this stat to support the idea that a hyper-local print magazine is a viable business model. So, you're telling me that I could get into a market that over the last ten years has retained about the same amount of competitors, but the pool of money they are all fighting for has been cut in half (and is likely still dropping) - and that supports the argument for a magazine??

Maybe it's that new math?

52 minutes ago, notyal said:

Yep.

Ever walk into the SXSW event at the conference center downtown?

Is it all digital?

How on earth did paper get in there?

Edited by RidingAgain

Some years ago I had a meeting with the chief executive of Conde Nast publishing. It took place on his 100' yacht moored in the marina of a housing development he lived in in the Florida keys.

As we talked, he told me his story. He had started as a salesman at one of the magazines owned by the publishing house... And over the years had worked himself up to the CEO position of Conde Nast. And had become quick rich while doing so. But not as rich as his friend, S.I. Newhouse Jr., who pretty much owned Advanced Publications, the owner of Conde Nast (among other things).

Back in the day, magazine publishing could be an extremely lucrative business... Because the profit margins were off-the-wall high.

Have a successful magazine... You could pretty much call your price on ad space. And companies would pay.

And thought profits may have lessened over the years... People heading up publishing are not getting poor. They've simply found ways to keep the profits coming in.

I've been considering this matter over the holidays, and came up with an idea to generate more interest/income from the one magazine. All it takes is careful consideration of market dynamics, and assets available.

Now there's no guarantee of success... Just look at Michael Dell's call back in the '90s of Apple being out of business. Successful business owner he is... But his thought on Apple was way wrong.

Yet... Michael Dell is still way successful.

15 minutes ago, TheX said:

I can't see what he said, but I'm sure he's talking shit about me being an old man. LOL, must suck to be out-ridden, and out-classed by an old man.

LOL...

Come on now... 

Sure... You see nothing.

Except when people email you stuff... Or whatever excuse it is you came up with.

26 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Yep.

Ever walk into the SXSW event at the conference center downtown?

Is it all digital?

How on earth did paper get in there?

What are you even talking about? The existence of printed materials at SWSX does not justify starting a local MTB magazine. 

• Like 1