IGNORED

Since The Subject of an Austin MTB Print Magazine Has Come up...

RidingAgain

Tell me, notyal...

Would a magazine focused on introducing and educating Austin citizens to the various related aspects of mountain biking and urban hiking... Meaning outdoor local trail use and appreciation... Be a bad thing for the city of Austin citizenry to have?

Would seeing someone reading a magazine about Austin's biking and hiking trails/activity offend you?

Like say you see someone sitting at Central Market reading an Austin Fit magazine like the one below... If it were a mountain biking and hiking magazine presented from a local perspective... Would that offend you?

page_1_thumb_large.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

3 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Tell me, notyal...

Would a magazine focused on introducing and educating Austin citizens to the various related aspects of mountain biking and urban hiking... Meaning outdoor local trail use and appreciation... Be a bad thing for the city of Austin citizenry to have?

Would seeing someone reading a magazine about Austin's biking and hiking trails/activity offend you?

Like say you see someone sitting at Central Market reading an Austin Fit magazine like the one below... If it were a mountain biking and hiking magazine presented from a local perspective... Would that offend you?

page_1_thumb_large.jpg

No, it does not offend me that local special interest magazines exist. Nor would it offend me if one of those happened to be about my favorite pastime. In one of my first posts in this thread, I said that I would enjoy having such content available to me.

What does offend me is you calling me dishonest. Now you're trying to walk back this dumb magazine idea by saying "I've never said I was undertaking a print magazine project... Or even thinking about doing so." YOU LITERALLY ASKED MACK TURTLE TO WRITE AN ARTICLE FOR YOU! What would you have done if he sat down, spent his time researching, and actually wrote a very good article for you? Would your answer still be "I've never said I was undertaking a print magazine project... Or even thinking about doing so."???

Although you have posted pages of circular ramblings, you still have never addressed my original inquiry about how this undertaking would be financially viable when the print magazine industry is in steep decline. Lets approach this slightly differently. Hypothetically, let's pretend that you received the following message:

"Hello, I think your Austin MTB magazine idea is very interesting. I'm an avid mountain biker, experienced writer, and even have some seed money that I'd be willing to contribute to help get the first few issues off the ground. I realize that this will be a passion project and don't expect to get rich or anything. However, we do need a plan to at least start breaking even hopefully sooner than later. (It's not like I'm a billionaire, LOL.) I recently saw a stat that said, while the readership and number of publications have remained fairly constant, the revenue of the printed magazine industry has nearly been cut in half over the last ten years. Given this current trend in the industry, why is it that you feel a printed publication is the way to go?"

On 1/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, notyal said:

Really? I'm making the straw man argument here? You posted a stat that directly contradicts the financial potential of a printed magazine. I called you on it, then you reply with "there's paper materials at SXSW" and anecdotes about yachts and <snip>

There is very little printed material at South By these days. Pretty much just the film and music guides. The days of a gimme bag stuffed with paper media are well and truly over.

So, here we go...

What I actually said to mack_turtle...

“Hey, mack_turtle...

Since the matter of cheater lines is kind of where this started... Would it be possible for you to take some time... Unpaid at this time... To research and sketch out an article on the matter of trail building and maintenance... Perhaps with a highlighted section addressing the creation of cheater lines. And perhaps including something on IMBA's  thinking behind alternate lines on trails. I came across a comment you made on an mtbr thread on "B" lines.

Most discussions on alternate lines focus on these being lines around more difficult sections, but it can be the other way around. So maybe you could approach the matter from the point of view that all levels of riders want lines suitable for their preferred riding... But there are negatives to cutting your own unsanctioned lines.”

That’s...

“...research and sketch out an article...”

Absolutely nothing there about writing an article.

So no, I most definitely did not literally ask him to write an article for me.

But maybe you don’t know the difference between sketching out an article and doing the basic research needed to do it competently, and what is required to literally write an article.

Regardless, your above speaking is again yet another straw man.

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, notyal said:

What would you have done if he sat down, spent his time researching, and actually wrote a very good article for you? Would your answer still be "I've never said I was undertaking a print magazine project... Or even thinking about doing so."???

Had mack_turtle written an article on trail building and maintenance, with a focus on unauthorized trail cutting, and it was a well written article, I would certainly have suggested Albert make it a sticky on this website, and that ARR do the same. 

I would also have suggested that some sort of handout be made to give out at trail maintenance work day participants, and possibly get bike shops to carry copies next to their checkout counters.

Maybe also use it to get local coverage in newspapers... And possibly cull parts into a short read that could be placed as signage on trails.

See, notyal, unlike you and a few others here, I’d be thinking asset to use... Not problem to whine about.

1 hour ago, notyal said:

No, it does not offend me that local special interest magazines exist. Nor would it offend me if one of those happened to be about my favorite pastime. In one of my first posts in this thread, I said that I would enjoy having such content available to me.

Wonderful...

You and most every member of this website... Even the sludge boys, Barney Bike Boy and his sidekick boy, Old Man Wants Attention.

Progress.

Edited by RidingAgain

25 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

So, here we go...

What I actually said to mack_turtle...

“Hey, mack_turtle...

Since the matter of cheater lines is kind of where this started... Would it be possible for you to take some time... Unpaid at this time... To research and sketch out an article on the matter of trail building and maintenance... Perhaps with a highlighted section addressing the creation of cheater lines. And perhaps including something on IMBA's  thinking behind alternate lines on trails. I came across a comment you made on an mtbr thread on "B" lines.

Most discussions on alternate lines focus on these being lines around more difficult sections, but it can be the other way around. So maybe you could approach the matter from the point of view that all levels of riders want lines suitable for their preferred riding... But there are negatives to cutting your own unsanctioned lines.”

That’s...

“...research and sketch out an article...”

Absolutely nothing there about writing an article.

So no, I most definitely did not literally ask him to write an article for me.

But maybe you don’t know the difference between sketching out an article and doing the basic research needed to do it competently, and what is required to literally write an article.

Regardless, your above speaking is again yet another straw man.

So, the difference is that you only asked him to waste a smaller portion of his life on the article? 

I think I get it now. You feel that the context of your posts doesn't carry any weight. When you start a thread about a local print magazine, you aren't even considering starting to publish one. When multiple people (including your own stats) suggest that it is a bad idea to enter the printed magazine business, and you respond with stories of publishing moguls on yachts and billionaires buying newspapers, we shouldn't infer that you are posting those to validate the idea of a printed magazine.  When you ask someone point blank to research and "sketch" and article in a thread about producing a published magazine, that article is obviously intended for other purposes. Makes sense.

5 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

You’re a hoot, notyal.

Truly, thanks for the laugh.

I try. For the record, I'm not really offended. I'm just bored. The wife and kids are out of town, and I'm stuck painting my daughters bedroom. Interacting with you is slightly more entertaining than watching that paint dry. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, notyal said:

I try. For the record, I'm not really offended. I'm just bored. The wife and kids are out of town, and I'm stuck painting my daughters bedroom. Interacting with you is slightly more entertaining than watching that paint dry. 

My sentiments exactly, especially towards Barney Bike Boy and his sidekick.